Insane! What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GlennConti, Sep 1, 2018.

1. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

It kind of makes sense to look at the problem statistically. Look at what the last few NOS Fatboys sold for on eBay, drop the outliers and take the average sell price of the balance. That would give you a good indicator of true value.

brit and RyX like this.
  2. GlennConti

December 24, 2016 1959 E-4 $257.63 (152356490226)
    February 25, 2017 $157.75 (142285830602)

August 29, 2017 $299.99 (162650958839)
    December 2, 2017 D-3 $259.00 (122839103204)
    November 26, 2017 E-2 $265.00 (112655621848)
    September 12, 2018 G-1 $636.51 (232917351489)

Data comes from www.gilletteadjustable.com/fatboy.html

brit and RyX like this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Per Glenn above, as for anything, based on sales trends involving a significant number of sales, not just what one or two idiots will pay in an attempt to manipulate the market.

RyX likes this.
  4. GlennConti

The problem is what is "a significant number". I have been tracking the NOS Fatboy sales on eBay for the last few years and as you can see above there have only been 6. So, you can't go back too far in time or the data is not for the "current market". There are just not a large enough sample size (25 to 50) to get true statistical significance.

RyX likes this.
  5. GlennConti

But, the principles of statistics give you a better stab at "true value" than other methods.

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Agreed, as what you are trying to value approaches unique all bets are off. Sealed NOS Fatboys should be therefore distinguished from mint ones.

brit and RyX like this.
  7. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I dislike the phrase because in the world of razors I actually read it the other way round to how it is described in the article.

They suggest it's a phrase buyers use to point out their offers are real money, available now.

In my eyes, with razors, I read it as,
    "If you are willing to pay £80 for it, go for it. That's what it's worth to you" which is never what the OP was asking.

They're usually in one of two camps:

1. They've got one, want to sell it and need a price guide.

2. They're looking to buy one but don't know what they should aim to pay.

In both cases I just direct to eBay sold section. You'll get the most comprehensive answers there. Not to mention we then start threads on here laughing at the rubes paying so much for razors!!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    brit likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

thank you, jim printed me some a while back for this razor, nice stuff..i agree, if the buyer is happy so be it.i have gone overboard just to secure the sale if i wanted the item bad enough...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    RyX likes this.
  9. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

As have I. I paid more than I wanted to for a NOS pre-war Tech Tech.

brit likes this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That right there just went into my bag of catch phrases....thank you.

brit likes this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

This guy bid up a razor I had for sale and refused to pay afterwards. He should have never bid it in the first place if he was buying to resell. Lesson here is if you see a bidder on your stuff that has an active storefront and is bidding up to buyer prices cancel their bids since they most likely doing it to fraudulently skew the sold prices to game the bot bidding algorithms. You herd the actual buyers to the razors you want to sell still at higher than market value by doing this is one strategy. Another use is to find the real buyer's max bid then retract your bot's bids afterwards.

jmudrick and brit like this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Are people buying at silly prices from his storefront??