Anyone getting in on the Ascension?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ambrose21, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Ambrose21

Ambrose21 New Member

Anyone check this guy out yet? Ascension_Twist_Adjustable_Double_Open_Comb_Safety_Razor_DOC_x700.jpeg

BamaT, picturerock, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Didn't they already sell this under a different name? Not that it's a bad razor; just sounds like marketing.

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  4. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

The shave was actually quite good. Very light weight razor and you actually have to use a bit of pressure to keep the razor with constant contact with the skin. 2 pass plus touch ups. Not a bad shave at all. Might keep for travel to be honest.....

A79A4606-91D3-4CD0-8B5B-D95E1BBFBED6.jpeg

5. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

I ordered one and it should be delivered Saturday. I have the Grackel version of the original DOC and this is a new design. The only down side is that I am doing only SE's this month so I think I will keep this guy in the queue for October!
    Steve

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Very differently configured head
    [​IMG]

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Very interesting! :happy088:

8. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm doing the same thing, all SE's this month but, I said what the heck and gave it a go. Today, back to the SE's for the rest of the month. That is until the Gamechanger .84 base plate shows up. I might fall astray again..... ;)

9. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think I may do the same. Glad you liked it. I'm interested in what you think about the new GC plates.
    Steve

picturerock likes this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

What he said....

11. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

The extreme nature of the curve is also intended to make it pseudo-adjustable. If you loosen the handle ever so slightly you get more blade exposure and a more aggressive angle, due to the spring action of the curved blade.

There are many other changes over there first DOC. For instance, the head fully covers the blade now. Also the quality is better as well.

There is a full write up on their page and a video about it. Also I got an email from them today saying that there are only 10 left...
    https://phoenixartisanaccoutrements...wist-adjustable-double-open-comb-safety-razor

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    picturerock likes this.
  12. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I have an issue with the website. It is all written very much like an over the top sales pitch, and I got two pop ups, the second with a wheel to spin to get deals.

The whole thing feels like a dodgy market trader trying to clear their stock. Won't be buying.

13. mougrim

mougrim New Member

Not a bad one...

Надіслано від мого Redmi Note 3, використовуючи Tapatalk

picturerock likes this.
  14. Weasel640

Your loss. The wheel thing only happens the first time you visit, and does give you discount codes. And they did "clear stock", today it shows that they are all sold out, so I guess it worked for them.

Oh that reminds me. Per a comment made on their YouTube video of this; He said if there was enough popularity with this one, they may come out with Stainless Steel. I'd imagine at a high price point though.

picturerock likes this.
  15. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

And it will shave no better than a $15 50 year old Gillette.

picturerock likes this.
  16. Weasel640

You never know until you try. And I'm not going to be the one to tell you as I do not have any Gillettes older than 1968. But you know what, I like my first iteration PAA DOC, and I'm sure I'll like this iteration. So let's say; I won't nay say your relic and you stop nay saying modern pieces.

picturerock and Dansco like this.
  17. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I don't think they're awful. They probably shave well. I just wouldn't pay for them, but you're welcome to.

I just can't get over the guy running the show at PAA - whether it's the style of writing or whatever... I don't like the website and it puts me off the brand.

18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Let's all just stop collecting razors shall we. Jeez. Only one shave in but yeah it does shave better than the Slim Twist.

picturerock likes this.
  19. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

You don't know about "How To Grow A Moustache"? If not it's fine, but it'd help you understand this a little bit better I think. Look it up, it's a long story and I don't want to post any incorrect Information as it happened a few years ago so I may not remember everything.

20. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

No... I don't believe I do. Haven't been around here that long.