Anyone getting in on the Ascension?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ambrose21, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Im passing on this one. I love the double open comb but this one is pure marketing to me.

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    While I will not be purchasing, I am curious how the "Double Open-Comb" is supposed to shave better? Can anyone explain?

3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'm not either, but I'm sorta curious if the new razors capture what makes the Grand Shave King a great razor.

Primotenore and Enrico like this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've always found PAA to be a really stand up company. Are their ads bit tongue in cheek and humorous? Of course, but that's what makes them PAA. They make good products that others won't (too many too list). I have issues supporting their company.

5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I think it's a real shame for folks to be so focused on marketing and oblivious to the unique design, and no it's nothing to do with the DOC. Here you have the excellent rigidity of the Old Type head (bottom support and narrow cap span), but unlike most designs based on the OT , such as the Fatip which have negligible gap and positive exposure, here that is flipped, you have negative exposure with gap. I can't think of a design quite like it, particularly the extreme curve of the head. This gives it a different angle than the Short Comb with which it otherwise has come commonality.

It may or may not work for you but to see nothing but the marketing misses a lot here. It works great for me.

EzraCobb and jtspartan like this.
  6. david of central florida

I'll stay with the original, Grand Shave King, thank you.
    I have not seen the marketing.
    I'll not comment about the other, it just gives notoriety.

7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I hear that David, I just don't see much of a comparison between the two. It's like saying I have a slant I don't need another one. The GSK has a head configuration which makes it rather inefficient for a lot of folks. This is not that.

8. david of central florida

I've heard that said and just can't understand the difference in what I've read and my results. The GSK always gives me ultra smooth results, I'd use it more if i wasn't afraid of its longevity. I think the difference is how tight the handle it screwed down. I only go to snug. I've inquired if the moderns have the same qualities. Guess I'll have to buy a DOC and see for myself.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  9. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

.With the exception of the original DOC and the GSK, the DOC Evolution, Yaqi SLOC, and PAA Ascension are more different than they are alike.The DOC feature means little in determining how any of the several DOC razors shave.

11. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Mr. Smythe, iirc, basically was two different people at HTGAM. I believe he also said something about "his business partner" and they had a falling out. Well, people found out he was a liar. I had a gut feeling he was full of crap myself. You should be able to find out more information.

12. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

All of that rubbish in the essay, sorry, info about the razor suggests someone likes the sound of their own voice.

13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Why da**** do we care about this guy apparently more than what his product is? I'm baffled by this attitude. It's like "Frank Sinatra was a lousy singer and I won't listen to his records because he had mob friends". PAAs razors have been excellent, this one included.

EzraCobb and luv2shave like this.
  14. david of central florida

Also the Berkeley Custom shaver has a sculpted top cap.

15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I bid on one of those a couple weeks ago, interesting razor :) .

16. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I can only speak for the non-adjustable DOCs. I find them to be very mild but because of the open design, they dont clog up with lather like a lot of mild razors can.

Primotenore likes this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

In my experience the open nature of the top cap has no clear impact on the shave. I've used the SLOC cap on at least a dozen razors. The width and curve of the cap certainly does matter. I haven't had a clogging problem particularly with mild razors that is fixed by swapping the SLOC cap.

Primotenore likes this.
  18. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Because everyone everyone is entitled to their opinion and can voice it if they feel like it, that's why. If he doesn't want to do business with someone because he disapproves of their personality why does it matter?

Dansco likes this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm likewise merely expressing my opinion that it strikes me as ridiculous. But carry on.

EzraCobb likes this.
  20. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Because it really has no merit or basis related to the product that we are discussing. It's clear that neither of you have used this product nor do you plan to. You've voiced your opinion why you don't plan to. Fair enough, but further discussion is zero value added to the original topic. In short no one cares anymore. We get it, don't buy PAA products then.

vinny g, brit, EzraCobb and 2 others like this.