Feeling the Need to Vent

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Michael_W, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Recently my job ended (laid off) and since then things have been going downhill. I've been unable to get hired in anywhere except for a few days as a door-to-door direct marketer—these jobs are ridiculously high turnover and job security is only as good as your day's sales—and now my checking account is overdrawn and in the red over two hundred dollars. Rent is due on the first and I have utility bills I'm liable for including phone, Internet, and electric, with no money whatsoever to pay for any of them.

I'm using someone else's Wi-Fi library as I type this. I need at least eight hundred dollars just to make expenses for October and even if by some miracle I can get those all paid, it's only a short term solution because unless I can get hired in at a stable job NOW, I'm going to have to go into the homeless shelter and lose everything.

I've exhausted all efforts to try and obtain at least rental assistance, and there just isn't any because the non-profits are depleted of funds and facing more cuts. I've already had to sell off everything I had of value just to get covered for September. I really don't want to be homeless, but at this point I can't see any other alternative. I feel like a complete failure at life.

Just needed to get all this off my chest.

cliffb599 likes this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Michael
    It’s always darkest before the dawn. I will pray that that the right job comes along for you very soon.

3. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Hope things do get better.

MR41, americanshamrock and Michael_W like this.
  4. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Roughly 18 years ago I was in a similar situation. I know how stressful, scary and demoralizing being unable to find a job can be. Please try to realize that these circumstances do not make you a complete failure at life. This too shall pass.
    While the following suggestions are not long term solutions they may help to get by.
    Talk to your landlord, the utility companies, etc tell them your situation and see if they will work with you. It may be humiliating but it might just keep you from being evicted and/or having services disconnected.
    Can you sell blood/plasma in your area? Once again humiliating but can provide some income.
    Reach out to friends, family, church, etc. They might not realize how dire your situation is and can provide some help. Help no matter how small could work wonders for your sanity.
    You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Please remember you are a worthy person.

Also if you just need to talk to someone feel free to PM me.

MR41, Sevenbark, jtspartan and 7 others like this.
  5. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Well, it is hard to estimate your situation from a few lines, but dont give up!

Try to find opportunities in disaster, try to see advantages in disadvantages, think out of the box!

If there are no jobs in the area maybe giving up your house can create opportunities somewhere else?

And remember we work to live, we are not living to work.

6. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

I am very sorry to hear that.I hate to say it,not sure where you are in Ohio or what field you are in but corrections at the state and local levels are almost always hiring as are police services.

I myself need at least 2k a month for house and regular monthly bills.Which my retirement ck and my part time job(work hrs varied 16-45 hrs a wk) have taken care of for the last 5 years.Now I have found out my job duties are going to be delegated out to other people and my scheduled work hours will be cut to working alternating weekends(16hrs) and filling in when some one goes on vacation or gets sick.Apparently the news that my job duties were being delegated out was told to those people but no one bothered to tell me.My time may be limited .Of course this is not as severe as your case.But I may have to look into some type of remedy at this rate.

I really hope you the best of luck,maybe a friend can put you up for a while.I have done that for a number of people til they got back on their feet.

macaronus and Michael_W like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I am praying for you, Michael. Thanks for sharing.

8. Michael_W

Thanks, people. Been trying to figure out what to do. I need to come up with eight hundred dollars by the end of the month to cover rent, electric, and other utilities. I've no idea how I'm going to come up with the money by that time, and as of today, no luck at all getting hired in anywhere.

9. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

We all need to vent from time to time. As was stated earlier reach out to family if you can, if you're religious reach out to your Pastor or Rabbi, whichever it is. Pray and don't give up bro. Job lost everything, but God blessed him greatly after his loss. We may never understand why life happens the way it does.

10. Michael_W

There's no family to reach out to, and my church is broke too. Catholic Charities is tapped out. There's nothing.

11. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

There's only nothing if you believe there is nothing. In our darkest times we discover who we really are.

12. Michael_W

Thanks for the sentiment, but when I say I've tried the local charities and nonprofits and no one has anything, believe you me no one has anything. It's been pretty brutal for nonprofits, especially in the last year and a half.

13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Time to relocate?

I’m not being a smartass, I mean it.

I have had more employees than I can count on one hand who have lived in their car or truck till they got stood up again.

It sucks, but just put one foot in front of the other, and do what has to be done.

It doesn’t seem normal, and maybe requires a little thinking outside the box , I know, but transient construction can pay really well. Many jobs pay your living expenses while you are working.

When work doesn’t find you, you have to find it. Then it doesn’t seem so impossible.

14. Michael_W

I haven't the means to relocate, unfortunately.

15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

@Michael_W , I will probably be stoned for saying this, but, have you thought about selling off some of your razors??
    I know you do have a much desired Dubl Duck, and those, in good shape, can bring a fair price. Straight razors, and much of the razors we collect here are just trinckets, and for fun, not necessity. All you really need is a good DE razor, and a 100 pack of blades. Any good bar soap, and a cheap aftershave will get you by in life. Once back on your feet, you can restock your razor collection.
    I have been in the red, many times, in my youth, and learned fast, what it took to survive. I have since been very blessed, but know things in life can change fast. As mentioned by others, there is no shame in living out of your car, temporarily. If you do not own a car, then call on friends to borrow time on a couch. If needed, as a last resort, a Homless Shelter. Also mentioned, which is a good idea, construction. It is hard work, but honest work. Also, fast food, or night shift convenience store jobs are always hiring.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  16. brit

brit in a box

i lived in my car, truck and a barn when i was 16 onwards .builds character.many in canada and other countries take the easy for granted.many build millions from nothing left. just saying..

17. Michael_W

Already did to help make rent for September. If I end up at the homeless shelter, it's unlikely I'll ever be able to bounce back from that, not at my age and with my health problems and lack of reliable transportation. I applied for construction jobs but I'm being told I have to have steel toe shoes/boots before I'll be hired, and since I have no way to obtain any..., believe me when i say I'm applying for whatever's out there. But I'm running up against wall after wall.

18. Michael_W

I don't even have a vehicle, so it's either the homeless shelter or the street, neither of which I'm likely to come back from.

19. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Michael,

Very sorry to hear to hear about your current situation. I appreciate how difficult it must be for you, and how hopeless things can feel.

These statements are troubling and suggest someone who needs help. We all do, occasionally. This is not weakness. It takes much strength to ask, and often to accept the hurdles life puts in our way.

I have no idea how the medical system works over there in the states, and I say this with no judgement - if possible, you should seek help, to deal with the stress and pressure you are under.

Do not give up - all is not lost. Find comfort in friends.

20. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Be sure to check basic retail stores. This time of year they are looking to add workers. Also delivery companies like UPS & FedEx. Check warehouse and storage companies. Also check local security companies.