Rockwell Model T

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sabre, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Thaipete

Thaipete Member

Update - 6th September :

September Update 1/2 - One-Piece T-Bar Shipping Has Begun!
    Dear Backers,

We’re happy to share with you our latest update! As you know from our last update earlier this summer, we’ve decided to push forward with some final engineering changes to the Rockwell Model T to improve the overall tolerances and address issues that came from feedback from the initial razors shipped. The most substantial of these improvements was the move to the One-Piece T-bar. Mid-August we received the new One-Piece T-Bars and additional parts. For the last couple of weeks we’ve been assembling and preparing Model T razors for QC and review. So far we have assembled just over 250 razors with the new parts which we’ve begun shipping to backers, including international backers, today!

As you might have guessed from the quantities shipping, our assemblies with the One-Piece T-Bar have been a success! We’re seeing a substantial increase in final (assembled) tolerance and consistency, and the Model T razors being produced are passing every aspect of our quality control, have passed stress tests, and our beta testers have confirmed the razors are shaving like a dream! We are now only awaiting confirmation from from the backers we’ve shipped to that their Model Ts are performing completely as expected (or better!). At that point, we’ll be able to manufacture the remaining T-Bars, import them, and ship out all remaining Model T razors to all backers.

We were hoping to provide a full shipping timeline in this update, assuming that we’d have substantial backer feedback on the One-Piece T-Bar at this point. Unfortunately, the latest shipment of Model T razors down to our Chicago facility was held up unexpectedly at customs and then delayed over the Labor Day long weekend, and didn’t get shipped out in time for us to receive sufficient backer feedback (they're shipping today!). As a result, we’ll be announcing the final shipping timeline in an additional update on September 21st (in about 2 weeks). That being said, we expect to be able to move very quickly at this point and have all these razors in all your hands very soon!

As always, thank you for all of your ongoing support,
    The Rockwell Razors Team

2. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

At long last, I can't wait for mine.

3. Korbzz

Korbzz Member

Will still be Dec before you get it unless you got a white chrome and are lucky

4. Kypros Christodoulides

To tell the truth, it's been so long, I don't remember the finish I chose. I think it was the original, but again I could be wrong.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I choose the satin finish.

6. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Rockwell finally came up with the number of shipped razors in a post today: 500. If you subtract the 250 razors they shipped yesterday with the single piece T-Bar, they've shipped 250 razors since they claimed to have started shipping last February. Yet each month, with the exception of the two week period when they were looking at various T-Bar remedies, they've claimed they were continuing to ship Model Ts (and rave reviews were pouring in).

I'm surprised anyone still believes anything these guys say.

7. Spang

Spang Member

Touche'. These guys are chortling about having shipped 250 razors (after nearly two and a half years) like it is some huge accomplishment. Really? They have more than 6,000 razors to deliver to KS backers and IGG pledges.

They then go on to explain that they need to "get feedback" on the 250 razors shipped to backers. Then, assuming the feedback is good, they will proceed to commission the manufacture of the necessary t-bar pieces, import them, assemble the razors, and then ship them to backers. And how long will this take, given that we're talking 6,000 units? Unless you are one of the lucky 250 backers to receive the units currently being shipped, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Korbzz, DesertTime and stuartganis like this.
  8. DesertTime

If we allow for 500 razors shipped over 8 months, they should complete shipping in about eight years. Of course, this is an exaggeration, once they work out the processes, it should move much faster. But still...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    Spang likes this.
  9. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I'm down the road aways from my Model T- tale. Fully aware of kick starter and no promises of final delivery, I've been using the glued together T-bar assembly razor previously mentioned here and my razor has been really great to use. Combined with a Bic blade I can't find an easier to use, more efficient razor for myself. A perfect combination really? Not I am going to try the Sharpest of the sharpest Feather blade. I have thought about using something else, as far as the many razors I own, but so far that hasn't been a consideration, as the shaves with my Model T, self repaired(T-bar glued together) have been the best I have ever experienced! Go figure. Zamek and all I think Rockwell got the design right with this one right. Too bad it is not completely stainless steel or possibly brass plated with nickel. And, too bad all of the razors have not been delivered from Kickstarter, but, and that's a big "But", IMHO I can't find fault with the shaves from my razor. I received a replacement from Rockwell and it has the one piece T-bar assembly. I have not tried it though because I am fully satisfied with the first iteration I received. Even though I repaired it myself which many buyers/suporters would not do or seem unable to do themselves. The razor is So easy to adjust and so smooth really. I find it to be kick starter- satisfactory despite the long wait and the change of materials. That's me and possibly not all of you will look at the experience in the same way. I'm reporting my experience---- for what it's worth?

brit, Screwtape, PLANofMAN and 3 others like this.
  10. DesertTime

It's good you're enjoying your razor. But most people counldn't possibly share your experience. Less than 5% of the backers received a razor, assuming the 250 (1/2 total razors shipped) just went out this past Tuesday and are likely not yet received by backers. Also, since the single piece T-Bar razor just went out Tuesday (if you can believe Rockwell), are you sure your's is a single piece?

Your post is encouraging, though. When folks finally get their razor, it'll likely be a decent shaver.

stuartganis likes this.
  11. Kypros Christodoulides

oldjoe, loves his T and I hope I fall in love with mine when and if it arrives. There was a review a few weeks ago that was not as positive as this one. I wish I remember where I've seen it. It is a case of YMMV, the only reason I believe the T will be a hit is that it took so long to design and midify, it has to be good, but the price will be prohibitive.

DesertTime likes this.
  12. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

The replacement razor I received from Rockwell has the one piece T-bar assembly. I took the razor apart, which is easy, as I wanted see if that was the case. I am using the Model T - that I repaired the 2 piece T-bar assembly, using super glue. I have not used the replacement razor yet. Really, I simply want to see how long my repair lasts? After a time I will use the replacement razor. It seems to open and close, adjusts and feels exactly the same as the self repaired version. I have many, many razors but I do not have one that shaves my whiskers easier or better than my repaired model T razor. You know what they say: YMMV!

Thaipete, PLANofMAN and DesertTime like this.
  13. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I'm still going on the glued back together T-bar Rockwell razor. Haven't used the one piece T-bar version replacement yet. I hope when the time comes it is as good as my repaired Model T! This razor is so easy to tune in to what an individual would want for aggressiveness! And, I've been using it every day. Most recently with the Uber sharp Feather blade. But, my favorite blade with this razor so far has been the Bic. Sharp as the feather but smoother and lasts for a good 3 shaves for me. Surprisingly I can even use the Rockwell blades with this razor and they work fine. I thought I would keep this post going until the T-bar falls apart once again but possibly that may not happen?

brit, DesertTime and Str8on2 like this.
  14. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

So I received my two piece a while back and it failed..alignment went wonky. I contacted Rockwell and they promised a replacement. I was assuming a new 1-piece.

A few weeks later I received my replacement. I have no way of knowing what the guts are unless I take it apart. Since I didn’t have to sent the first one back, I will figure out how to take it apart and repair it.

Then....get this....another one shows up in the mail!!

Used it today with a GSB and 4-days growth. BBS awesome shave.

I’ve lost respect for these folks even while I love my 6S and so far, my 3 Model T’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jorvaljr likes this.
  15. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about the T-bar falling apart, especially if you are handy! The basic razor is a great design. All the materials used stuff is silly! We only live so long! The shave is what counts. I've already told of my experience in that regard. Consider yourself lucky! Respect is something a retailer gets IMHO, at least for me, when they make their customers satisfied. I'm plenty satisfied and Lucky, you I say!!!

luv2shave likes this.
  16. Spang

Spang Member

I think a few hundred of the two piece T-bar versions ended up getting into circulation. I received a two piece T-bar version several weeks ago, and so far, so good. But I still think it is an inherently flawed design, and I'm not holding my breath. I got mine after Rockwell had announced, with great fanfare (and justifying yet another delay), that they were upgrading to the one piece T-bar. I inquired about this with Rockwell (i.e. why did they ship product that they had already determined to be in need of an upgrade) and I got a rather snarky reply that the reported failures of the two piece T-bar were one-off rarities and not to worry about it. Well, if it's really no issue, then why go to all the trouble and expense to re-design the part? Like you, I am very disappointed with Rockwell given their repeated over promising and under delivering on the Model T campaign.

Having said that, I do like the shave of my Model T, a lot. So it is good to hear that the one piece T-bar version is a comparably excellent shaver, in the event I need to take Rockwell up on their promise to replace mine if it fails.

Korbzz and DesertTime like this.
  17. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

New update today:. 1000 razors shipped to date, all remaining Kickstarter and Indiegogo pledges will be shipped by the end of December, final production retail price will now be $119 instead of $195, anyone who has paid more than that will be getting a refund, and early backers will also get a permanent discount on any future products bought from Rockwell.

Personally I am looking forward to receiving my razor, and I have no honest bitches about the way the company has dealt with me to date.

luv2shave likes this.
  18. DesertTime

They were specific about KS pledges delivered by the end of December: " We expect to ship all remaining Kickstarter pledge rewards by mid-to-late December..."
    No mention was made regarding a timeline for Indiegogo pledges. Apparently, those backers should expect theirs sometime early next year.

19. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

"We're currently expecting that all Indiegogo rewards, White Chrome, Gunmetal and Brushed Chrome, will ship during the month of December."

Seems pretty specific to me...

20. DesertTime

That wasn't in the KS update. They committed to have all KS pledges fullfilled before shipping any GO pledges. Their update states they'll have all KS pledges by the end of December. Seems like a pretty tight time line to ship all GO pledges in a couple of weeks, at most.

Which campaign are you in? People do seem very pleased with the latest iteration of the razor.