FROM THE WILD, vintage razors recently purchased or inherited...!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ron R, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Thought it might be interesting to show different shaving razors that folks might have recently purchased and share with others.

brit likes this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

JUST FROM THE WILD, Just picked up some Schick injectors E2 Canadian versions with the 1937 pat on them and even with cases from a near by antique store.
    The Black Bakelite case was exclusive for Canadian E2 Version from my limited research. The razor and case show some wear and tear but lets see how the they look after some clean up and care.
    The middle razor is a Gillette X1 1952 American super speed that is in reasonable condition and will be cleaned up shortly. I really enjoy my Schick E2 razor and it will always have a nice home here in my rotation. The E2 base metal is non magnetic but I am having a hard time pinpointing the base metal that is claded with gold overlay. Some later editions(F models) had a secret proprietary base metal with copper and alloyed.......brass? Does anyone know base metal for E2 Schick injectors with the overlayed gold (I believe its a brass alloy?)
    Schicks from the Wild Sexsmith 1.jpg Schicks from the wild 2.jpg
    After clean up & razors sterilized! Below picture.
    Schicks cleaned up 2.jpg
    Schicks cleanup1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    jason koonce, Ursa, preidy and 12 others like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Nice gear! When I first started wet shaving and discovered vintage gear in the wild I was interested in DE razors. I have a dim memory of passing up several Schick injectors because I thought the handles looked cheap compared to the metal of a TTO or 3pc. That was before I discovered Chinese made Schick blades (Chicks) are still available. Since then I've learned the error of my bias. They do shave well and I'll pick one up in the wild if the price is right!

(Psss - there is a thread where folks proudly post their latest finds -The Mall / The Showcase / Show and Tell / The Haul. It's started anew every month.)

Frijolero, Ron R, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  4. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

If you ever want a G, Rick, let me know. I have a bunch in my collection, because when I was buying shaving stuff on eBay a decade or so ago, a Schick injector seemed to get thrown in with every lot...

jason koonce, AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you John! I related the story from my early RAD days. When Chris @Bama Samurai sent me a Type J I changed my mind about injectors. Currently I have Types E, G, J, M, and I think an L. Multiples in some of those. One day I'll catch the one that got away - an aluminum handled Type F. I'm watching for A through D, & H in the wild or at give away prices in auctions. They do give a SR/shavette close beard reduction and the only one that's really bit me was The Bunny prototype. That was my fault because I had the open comb off and was cleaning it. The blade is quite exposed with none of the three combs installed.

6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, I posted it over at the Haul. Nice thread.

jason koonce and RyX like this.
  7. Screwtape

Ah! I misread your comment as meaning you were planning to get a first Schick in the future, not as you are in the habit of picking them up now when they're the right price. Which was stupid now I think of it because I have seen your injector shaves in the 30DC thread quite regularly this month.

The one I wouldn’t mind tripping over in a thrift shop junk pile is the one with the Paul Revere handle. Though the one with the metal handle that opens like a pair of scissors would be neat too - I think that's the D maybe.

jason koonce, brit and RyX like this.
  8. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

That would be the D.

I'd love to find a Paul Revere as well. I actually have two of the Super-II version of the Paul Revere; they came as part of a lot that I bought on eBay. I'm thinking of donating one to the next auction (whenever that occurs).

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I found this L3 Gillette Slim (1966) in a yard sale. It cleaned up very nicely. It came with some Gillette Super Blue Blades, X3, 1977.
    IMG_8631.JPG
    IMG_8631.JPG IMG_8632.JPG IMG_8633.JPG

10. John Warr

John Warr Member

Picked this (Ever ready) DSC_4192.resized.JPG up the other day in a box with 2 strait razors (and a sealskin strop) and (yet another) Rolls. Patent date looks to be 1912.

jason koonce, preidy, brit and 6 others like this.
  11. John Warr

John Warr Member

And another (but this time a Souplex) DSC_4244.resized.JPG DSC_4245.resized.JPG . There is not a mark on the Bakelite case...

12. Lord Gillette

Lord Gillette Active Member

jason koonce likes this.
  13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Nice find, I did a few minutes research on that razor and found very limited information.

Souplex was a UK company, located in Morecambe, Lancashire, England with offices in Sheffield and London. The company formed in 1926 and made razors and blades from at least 1932 to 1948, by which time the company also offered "plastic mouldings and pressed steel products". Souplex razors were often sold in bakelite cases, and the company also sold other products such as toothbrushes.

Brand names used by Souplex probably included BigBen and Paragon, and Double Six. Souplex also made shaving products for women under the Nymph label.

In 1960 the company was registered as company number 00667297, SOUPLEX LIMITED. Abandoning the shaving market around the same time, Souplex became a specialized manufacturer of plastics. In 1999 it was acquired by a USA company and re-registered as MOLL INDUSTRIES LIMITED, then dissolved in 2006.

Enrico, Screwtape, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Souplex Double Six were fine razors. Offered with two completely different heads.
    [​IMG]

Enrico, jason koonce, preidy and 5 others like this.
  15. John Warr

John Warr Member

Ah. The one on the left gives a different blade gap on either side :)

16. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Found this Cooper razor at an upscale antique botique store down town on the square. I thought I was just going to have to follow the Mrs. Into yet another store, but I stopped when I saw it in the case. Got it and a Gem Damanskee for 10 bucks apiece. Little higher than I'd like to pay, but no shipping, so I'm happy.

Attached Files:

17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I know every one has different ways of cleaning vintage razors, I like to heat up some water and plunk the razor in the water as it's heating up and scrub with some dawn dish soap with some Nitril gloves for a couple of times and then some alcohol to disinfect. I tried something different for the last stage after the alcohol recently( :happy088: Weiman cook top cleaner:happy088:) and did it ever clean and put a shine on my vintage razors. Brass or copper if you like the patine look don't use it because it takes off the dark oxides. I rinse the residual paste off with water and later just took a dry tooth brush to remove any white dried residual powder that was left- what a shine it leaves on Nickel and Chrome. It removes the most stubborn stains that other methods seem not to do IMO.
    razor cleaner.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    Shavin’ Yeti, brit, RyX and 2 others like this.
  18. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Good to know!

19. Screwtape

Thanks.. I have seen that around but never even considered using it because it's for glass stove tops not brass razors...

20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

They make a brass cleaner also (Amazon), but more than likely the same stuff. All I know it's good for cleaning and polishing my razors. More than likely if you have one of those glass top stoves you will have some of this Weiman around, just amazing for cleaning stoves tops glass.
    Have some great shaves!

RyX and ordinaryshaver like this.