The Health Club

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by wristwatchb, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I've read that 5-8 grams of sugar or less is safe...but I don't eat any cereal over 5.

wristwatchb likes this.
  2. Paul Turner

I could TRY to get used to Shreded Wheat....I bought a small box recently and finished it, but it was too bland for me. I guess that's where the "add fruit" comes in.

wristwatchb and brit like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

yes sir...anything you fancy...nice blank slate to build on.

wristwatchb likes this.
  4. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I'm going to bed now but before I do I'll put a couple of questions out there. Why does our government subsidize tobacco production? Second why haven't we as a society banned tobacco completely? Chew on that and I'll check in tomorrow .

AGHisBBS, wristwatchb and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

i have been cutting down gradually. i need to reduce beer first. they go hand in hand ...

Redfisher and wristwatchb like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

look at prohibition...taxes collected? look what isn t banned...automatic weapons for deer hunting? way too many paths..

7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thank you, Paul. I will check these brands out.

Redfisher and Paul Turner like this.
  8. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I smoked for 27 years, and quit 10 years ago.

I used the lozenges, and they helped a lot. I followed the plan in the package - 6 weeks of one every hour, then six weeks of gradually increasing the time between. The idea is that the war is on two fronts: addiction, and habit. Do not underestimate the power of just the habit. By not reducing the nicotine for the first 6 weeks, I was able to work on breaking the habits, without fighting the addiction.

I also took a vacation for the first week. Road trip to Texas. Saw the Alamo. That was immensely helpful I think. It got me completely away from all of my normal routines and triggers that I associated with smoking. It also helped establish the sense of a clean break. I highly recommend it.

Redfisher and brit like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I quit every night.

TheFiveO, AGHisBBS, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

lobbyists and Authoritarian much? ;)

AGHisBBS, Frijolero and brit like this.
  11. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

As much as I think it is unwise to smoke, I'm not a fan of forcing bans on people. I'm not a fan of government subsidies either.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Frijolero, Redfisher and brit like this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'm 54, 6'2" , and around 270-275 lbs., not overweight, at all. I work out in a gym, about 5-6 days a week, for approx 1-1 1/2 hrs at a time. Each workout starts with a vigorous 30 minute cardio workout, followed by weights. I dont use nearly as heavy of weights as I use to(shoulder surgery). I drag myself there, even if i dont feel like it, maybe skipping 1-2 days, if i feel really off. I've kept this up, regularly, since 2003. Before that, youth, and sporadic hard workouts kept me somewhat fit. I dont drink alcohol but for possibly 1-2, every couple of weeks, or whenever i feel like it, with a meal. I smoke maybe 3-4 cigars a year. I use to smoke 2 a day, but slowed, due to allergies. I still love cigars. Due to age, I have had sporadic foot and joint issues, but fought my way through them, through modified exerckse, or self administered Physical Therapy. The latest bought was with Plantar Fasciitis. This was so bad, that i could barely walk at large parts of the day, for a couple of months. I discovered a new exercise, and this almost cured me, in a little over a week.
    My family history is, pretty much everyone has high blood pressure by 45-50 yrs. My routine has mine at the low end, ~117/68 with resting pulse around 55-58. So, my PITA routine has, so far, fought off the aging problems, that most my age suffer. Oh, I also eat whatever I want, good or bad. I see guys in the gym, working out, that are in their late 80's to early 90's, daily. They get it.
    So, develop a vigorous exercise routine, and keep with it. No excuses!!!!!

13. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I got about 3 1/2 miles in today, Not too strenuous just felt good to be out.

14. DaltonGang

That's a good walk. :happy088::happy088:

15. wristwatchb

I only eat one meal a day. Start when I get up...finish around bedtime. :)

16. wristwatchb

I was outside most of the day yesterday scrubbing (using a long-handled brush) and then power washing my deck. I'm gonna count that as exercise. :)

17. Paul Turner

I'm joining a nice lady for a walk along a "Bike-Hike Trail" very near me(and us....just found out we both live in the same complex.) I know her from the Saturday AM gym Tai-Chi class we do. This might be a bruiser of a walk, depending on how far she wants to go, but at least there are no boulders and trees in the way, and no switchbacks I don't think(which is what you encounter frequently in Rocky Mtn. National Park-Colorado). Essentially straightforward. Oh, I should add, she is in a Weight-Watcher program.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  18. DaltonGang

Oh, I cannot tell you, how bad that is for you. You need at least 3-4 smaller meals a day. When you only eat one meal a day, your body goes into starvation/hibernation mlde, and lowers your metabolism. It deprives your muscles of the needed energy, and tries to store what you eat, in the form of fat. I other words, lower energy, less muscle gain, and higher fat accumulation. I know people that do this, and they cannot understand why they are sooo tired, and cannot loose weight.

Ohhh, i get it now, you constantly eat all day, and that's your one meal. If its grazing all day, then that is good news.

19. DaltonGang

Excellent. It's easier to exercise harder, with a friend.

20. wristwatchb

First of all, thanks for speaking truth to me. I need to hear it. I've struggled with my weight all my life. I have lost weight by starving myself, and I now realize that was a mistake. In addition to the health problems you mention, I never really learned how to eat properly. By starving myself, I just replaced certain bad habits with others. So, over time I eventually regained the weight. I've been losing weight this summer by eating three reasonable meals plus a small snack every day. I don't think I've missed even one meal since I started my new "lifestyle." I'm combining this with more physical activity, and I don't beat myself up --when-- I mess up. I just get back on the program. In doing this, I've been able to practice and learn some better habits. I try to combine this with better sleeping habits as well. I feel better now than I have for awhile.

I take more notice of the eating and exercise habits of people that maintain a proper weight and seem to be in good overall health. Except for teenagers with "on-fire" metabolisms, professional athletes, and lumberjacks, nearly all the others eat reasonable meals and get regular exercise.

Thank you again. I hope you continue to post here and share your knowledge and experience with folks like me that need it.

Back to my post...I was just pulling Chris' chain. :)