October 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Sep 30, 2018.

?

Which open comb razors are you planning to use?

1. Old school Gillette Old Style. Because I'm tough like that

15 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. A modern replica of the Old Style. Because I'm almost tough like that

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. Fatip. Because I'm even tougher than you know

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. MMOC. Because I'm even tougher than those DE boys who think they're tough

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  5. A vintage Aristocrat or something similar. Because I'm tough like that.....and classy too!s

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  6. Who needs to act tough with OC razors. I'll stay with straights, thank you very much.

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  7. Pain sticks because combs of any kind are for sissies.

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. Can I please just have some cookies and you can stop asking questions?!

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  9. I'm sick of cookies. Can we have donuts for a month?

16 vote(s)
    42.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

BOO!! It’s OCtober!!!

The Cartel welcomes you to the OCtober 2018 edition of the 30 Day Rule/Focus thread. SEptember was a hit with a lot of fantastic SE razors in play as well as the usual assortment of straights and classic and modern DE’s. We also showed off a wide variety of Stirling soaps and products and that made it an even better month! I appreciate everyone who participates in this thread and am proud to be your mostly fearless if normally confused unofficial leader and janitor for the group.

In OCtober we trade in the SE razors for the OC razors. The open comb models come out to play for those who choose and we get to see some classics both old and new. OC’s are a favorite of mine and I look forward to using my collection of them for the month. If you have some OC’s, break them out and give them the month to shine. Can’t wait to see some great gear out there.

In addition to open combs we are also adding Oleo Soapworks as the theme soap. A number of us in the group have tried Oleo’s El Caballero, partly due to the generosity of our favorite Marine, @DouglasCarey, and there are a few other varieties out there as well. If you have some Oleo Soapworks soaps let them shine, or feel free to allow me to enable you to order some. Don’t want to go that route? Then it’s “Odds & Ends” soap month as well. We all have those soaps that we like and keep in the den but don’t use all that often. Break them out, dust them off and give them some love this month. Don’t want to do either Oleo or Odds & Ends? That’s ok. YOu won’t offend us. There’s never any pressure to join in the theme. It’s still all about learning to shave, tightening up technique, trying new things and enjoying shaving YOUR way. Technique trumps tools! So pick your tools and let’s get going!

If you're new to traditional shaving, or to TSD, WELCOME!!! Jump in and let the friendliest and most knowledgeable bunch of people you'll ever meet help you along. Ask questions, show us your gear. There's nothing about shaving we don't like to see and hear. Even if you are just starting with a Dollar Tree razor and a cheap soap we value you along with everyone else and we want you to become a part of this great community. Watch out for the enablers hiding among us. (Actually it’s all of us) Those guys will have you stocking up on new stuff before you know what hit you! Devious bunch these Cartel groupies.

As one of the charter members of this thread, from January 2015, I can attest to the ability of the 30 Day Rule to build basic technique that provides the basis for the use of the 30 Day Focus to sharpen skills and develop new skills altogether. Our quest is, as always, to be able to develop technique so solid and strong that we can overcome any tools that may be at hand. The great overarching philosophy is "Technique Trumps Tools." The only caveat....."unless the tools are defective." One can't use a broken blade or a razor that won't lock the blade down and expect success.

My personal mission has always been to push the limits of the tools, and my skills, to find out what, if anything is defective. Most of you have remained sane and found instead new and wonderful ways to shave. Some, perhaps unfortunately, have followed my lead lately, but hey, no pain no gain. At the same time, practice makes perfect, and we have already learned how bad equipment can be and still produce a great shave with proper technique.

Now, on to the facts in the words of the one, the only, @Bama Samurai : (Please rise) (Take off your hats) (Seriously, do I have to mention pay attention?) (Ok, be good and we’ll hand out extra cookies) (And yes, I’m aware of the recent “cookie debate”. Trust me. They’re real)

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Again, you’re free to follow the theme or go your own way. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a cookie (seriously, we have them) and meet the crew. If this is old hat, welcome back, and let's rock another month out.

Rules are the same people.
    1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime. Don’t be shy.
    2. Previous/older/original/experienced members welcome as always. We know you aren’t shy.
    3. Respect everyone. Opinions are for sharing and learning.
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. After recent consideration, negative opinions about Russia blades will be allowed. Please be aware that the blade Cartel and Yakuza do employ spies. However, they’re usually drunk so probably no worries.

Let's have some great shaves people! Welcome to OCtober!! So first things first.....group hug………and off we go!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The idiot who wrote the survey asked me to point out that he forgot to mention the Gillette NEW, both LC and SC. Just include those in with the Aristocrats - you know - tough and classy. That should cover it. I put him on notice that one more serious omission like that in a survey and I'm going to fire him and let Ivan write the surveys from now on. I'd like to say he understands the situation, but I am a slow learner.

3. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

As you probably already know, I'll be using the OCMM (better Fuzzy @wchnu ?)... I'd like to pretend that I'll stick with the same soap too, but it ain't ever gonna happen. I'll probably use some of the three tins of Dr. Jon's from @COMPNOR as well as my TOBS seeing plenty of use!
    Really looking forward to seeing the gear that you guys will be busting out this coming month!

4. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I will join in. I have a tub of Oleo El Caballero courtesy of a completely unexpected gift here. Or for Oddballs, I have a whole carton of soaps and creams to delve into.

For the Open Comb part, I have a Fatip Grande and two Gillette Old Types, one Ball End and one Single Ring. Although looking at the Gillettes, I think I may have to clean and polish them first as both look rather black. I guess they were silverplated and it has tarnished. I believe I also saw some OC Gillette News in my miscellaneous collection box, but I don’t know if they are Long or Short Comb or how I tell the difference. I will dig them out today and try them out during OCtober too.

It should be a good month...

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm in with my Gillette NEW LC and plan to start sometime next week. I look forward to riding along with you all. It should be a fun month.

SOTD_100616.jpg New LC After.jpg

6. brit

brit in a box

20180930_011953.jpg 20180930_010813.jpg i am in,...while i don t own an oc aristcrat i plan to use my brit new rfb, new sc and lc, a modern merkur 1904/6 oc, an old type and maybe a shave or two with my canadian single ring and early mond extra
    plus the usual array of soaps, creams .brushes and blades...the brit new hybrid will be lurking as well....cant forget this bad boy, 1930 new deluxe criterion...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

John, I hope you get a chance to try out your Gillette NEW razors this month. I'll be using my LC. Here's the SC head for comparison. Both of them are excellent razors.
    1.JPG

8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    FINALLY! A focus I can wrap my head around...:)

9. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I'm in. I'll be using the Blackbird OC for the first half of the month and switching to a New LC to finish out the month. I haven't been a scent for the season shaver but I'm going with bay rums, tobacco"s, and coffee/cocoa scents for the month.
    I'm looking forward to another month of fun!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

10. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

This month is gonna be a little wonky for me. Business travel is going to restrict my razor choices a bit. Nevertheless, I’ll break out the straights, the OCs, and try to kill some partials that are taking up too much room in the den. Three of them are Oleo, so I’m gonna be thematic.

11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I am looking forward to OCtober as well, so I will break out the OC razors. Should be lots of fun!

12. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'll be in again! The only OC razor I have is the GEM Micromatic, so I'll use it a few times. Otherwise I'll stick to my year-long focus of soap reduction and rotation through various razors. Going to be a great month!

13. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

The New Sci is queued up for tomorrow's shave. I actually jumped the gun and used a thick-cap OT on Friday before the surgery. I had been working on fixing the corner of a cap that must have been dropped at some point and wanted to see if I had gotten it right. (The answer was yes or close enough.)

BTW, does anybody know if a cap from a later OT will work with the plate from a thin-cap OT (i.e., one with a serial number)?

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Nice looking line up there. Gonna be a good month at your place!

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

That's a beauty!

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Extra cookies for being thematic. And even a couple more extras for using the word thematic! Not only do we have cookies - we have bonus cookies.

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

No-Exit-Entrance-Sign.gif
    I guess you veterans of The 30 DC already figured it out. Newer members are starting to understand. Once you're in, there's little chance of getting out. If the Blade Cartel doesn't already have surveillance set up out front, The Resistance is watching your kitchen door for Cookie contraband. Political debate aside - I'm in for another fun month.

I'll be eyeballing any TTO OCs while using my 3 piece OC DEs. For sure both the modern Fatip Piccolo (highly recommended) & humble NEW Long Comb will be in use. Should I feel like reminiscing about the shaves of September I can revisit the prototype Bunny injector with it's three variable OC components.

This might be a good theme month to use up some of those soap sample tubs that are piling up. There's also a ceramic sugar dish of assorted soaps ala John's @Screwtape Red Green Duct Tape Special frankensoap. Got a new puck of Godrej from Steve @Vlasta that I haven't tried, along with a couple Stirling samples in Fall scents to be unwrapped.
    I don't have any Oleo soaps (Yet, bring it on Enablers!). Visiting their website leads me to understand many are scented to match popular in production colognes. A trip to the local perfume counter may give a clue to scents I'd enjoy.

Brushes have reached the point of saturation. I don't need more but y'all keep finding new knots and handles. So I'm not shopping and the AD's are at bay for the moment. Focusing on my Cruiser Class "The King" badger last month has brought me deeper into non-boar / face lathering appreciation. I'll eventually use my new found technique on the other badger brushes.

18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm in for October. Once again, I'll be focusing on improving my brush swirling. Now that I just ordered a Maggard brush that is described, in part, as having great loading power, I'll look forward to putting it to use to help with this focus. In that same Maggard order, I'll have their brand of Tobacco&Leather A.S. This product will help me continue my focus on making solid matches of soap/A.S. Happy shaving to all! Oh, I forgot-A big focus will be in trying to "out-review" @Primotenore :).

19. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I’m in! OCtober is one of my favourite focuses. I’ll use the OC DEs below- Cooper MonoBilt, NEW LC & SC and Ball End Old Type. One week each. I think I’m going to leave the other OT, the thicker cap, in the drawer. Threw the MMOC in the pic as well in case I want a change from the DEs on a day.
    I don’t own any Oleo soaps and don’t plan on picking any up, but have lots of odds and ends to join in that focus on occasion as well.
    3FFE83CE-403D-4263-9925-5FE7E51C39B0.jpeg
    John @Screwtape, this pic should help a bit with the NEW identification you asked about earlier. The LC is on the left and you can see the comb teeth are considerably longer than the SC on the right.

20. brit

brit in a box

thank you, other than the hybrid these see little use..definitely a learning month..more of a "don t let the comb intimidate you "month...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.