September 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Sep 1, 2018.

?

Single Edge Plans?

1. Gems baby! 1912, 1914, Lather Catcher

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. Some more Gems baby! OCMM, Clog Pruf, you know.....the Micromatics.

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Schick Injectors baby! Click 'em and stick 'em to your face for that close shave.

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Shavettes baby! Because I'm a boss like that!

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. Dark Side baby! Straights. The original single edge.

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  6. Gonna eat cookies until my ears bleed. Mmmmmm.....cookies.

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  7. Nope. Not playing with the SE's. I'm cool enough I'll stick with DE!

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  8. Buzz off Mr. Poll Man. I don't have time for your foolishness.

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

You are assuming that we think?

RyX, PLAla, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I had to shave tonight before going to a church dinner. I hadn’t shaved since Thursday morning and had a lot of stubble to mow down. I grabbed a favorite razor and decided to try a new soap. I just received a big sample of Cella that was generously sent to me by @BigMark83 and decided to try it out. I know the Cella scent seems to be a little polarizing around here, but I like the almond smell a lot. This soap whipped up an easy lather that was nice and slick. I like it’s performance a lot.
    My wife commented on how loud this shave was. It really did sound like I was scraping bunt toast. It was a nice two pass BBS.

Cella Shave Soap
    Elk Antler Badger Brush
    Henckels Friodur 72 1/2 Razor
    Lucky Tiger
    Ogallala Bay Rum After Shave
    Have a nice weekend!

[​IMG]

FaceScraper, RyX, PLAla and 9 others like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

went out for breakfast this morning. wife had saturday off for the first time in years...so i had my OC shave early.
    gillette deluxe criterion razor and permasharp blade, i don t use these blades often, nice, sharp, razor has nice balance.
    figaro soap and splash, love the oud scent. dfs ,no drama. jr 282 2 band brush was excellent .love 2018-09-29 14.13.48.png the 2 band maggards knot.
    enjoy your weekend, gary

FaceScraper, RyX, PLAla and 10 others like this.
  4. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Well, I'm glad I helped you in your process of looking good for Church :happy088:.

RyX, PLAla, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Final day of SEptember! We passed 3000 posts for the month and are still going strong. Let's have a fantastic final day. And, of course, for you early birds who are already polishing up next month's gear......HERE YOU GO!!!!

Edison Carter, clint64, RyX and 4 others like this.
  6. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

We certainly have been winners in this one! I'm super pleased that the 34c is giving you such great results! I'm sure that I'll figure out the 1912 (might I say that the condition is truly remarkable on that one - so grateful)! I haven't even gotten around to trying the Schick G yet (BTW what number is it?), that's going to be one for November! Do you think that you are likely to make a bulk order for Astra? They are one of the cheapest blades available to me... I can pick up 100 for £8 shipped.

7. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I think the Schick is a G1, the commonest version of the G.

I like the Astra SP. It's a nice smooth sharp blade. I doubt I will do a bulk order of them though, simply because I already have enough DE blades to last me a bare minimum of 8 years of daily shaving (assuming only 3 shaves per blade). Without considering injector or Gem SE shaves at all, which probably double or triple that. My current stash of blades will probably outlast me so I don't see much point in adding bulk orders now.

If you are looking for more Gem SE blades, the best source for the PTFE is Connaught Shaving. It's the only place I know that sells them in bulk packs, and postage will be especially low for you being in the UK too. I think Connaught Shaving might stock some of the carbon blades too but I'm not sure about that.

8. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

September 30th
    Razor: Blackbird OC
    Blade: Astra SP (3)
    Brush: Envy White Supreme 8 Ball
    Pre-shave: Stirling Mentholated
    Soap: Stirling Mountain Man
    Stirling mentholated witch hazel
    AS: Stirling Mountain Man

What a Stirling month it's been! Great shave to start the day and end the month. Thirty days of Stirling in the books. Stirling Gentleman and Bay Rum are going to make appearances next month.
    I received the Envy 8 ball this month. Sixteen consecutive shaves with it and I'm happy. Not a lot of backbone but by no means floppy.
    I also received a scuttle this month. It had me somewhat dumbfounded at first but now that it's been figured out I've been enjoying warm lathers every morning.
    See you all in OCtober! [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Wonderful picture, Jim!

clint64, RyX, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  10. Norcalnewb

BA1C8AE8-482F-4EB1-980C-8472957EF063.jpeg

September 30 SOTD:

Razor: Gem Junior Bar
    Blade: Gem Stainless
    Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
    Lather: Declaration Grooming Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli
    Aftershave: Chatillon Lux Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Unscented PSB

Another month down, and the SE razors definitely provided some great shaves. I went with this terrific razor one more time to finish up the the month, and it was an awesome shave. This scent is doesn't have quite as much rose as I had anticipated when I bought, and it is quite a bit different from my normal scents, but it works well enough. I've greatly enjoyed the month, as usual and am looking forward to OCtober. I hope everyone has a great day!

11. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Jim!
    Terrific picture! I really like the effect you used today. Did you have help?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

clint64, PLAla and Norcalnewb like this.
  12. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Jim. I didn't have help this morning. My daughter and other kids have been keeping each other entertained all morning, so it was a pretty quiet shave.

13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    September Focus
    [​IMG]
    Cyril R. Salter~~Rooney Style 3 Medium~~D3 Fatboy (7)~~Personna 74~~Meehan Sandalwood Cologne
    Focus Gear: n/a

Final "Focus" Shave O' the Month and once again, I am completely focused on a great shave and not so much on the same gear.
    However, I think I can stick with the game plan for OCtober.
    Onward and upward...
    I don't know why I don't reach for the CRS cream as much as other
    soaps? Probably because I have a ridiculous collection and until I organize my new bathroom, my entire stash is in a closet in two large (!) plastic storage bins. Oh well. I chose it today.
    This is my only sandalwood soap/cream I have (I actually have some Mystic Water Sandalwood Rose, but that doesn't count).
    I am VERY choosey when it comes to sandalwood. Artificial sandalwood scents are deplorable to my nose.
    The Salter cream is the closest I have found that actually smells like sandalwood! Is that too much to ask?
    Really luxurious cream, which lathers very easily and takes quite a bit if water for a cream.
    Slickness abounds and with the Rooney 24mm knot (24mm...look at that knot, it's dry in the picture, but this 3 bander REALLY
    gets big!) I can create volumes of suds. And I did!
    The Rooney tends to lose a hair once in a while; something the seller conveniently forgot to mention :angry019: in his ad.
    Side note: I am sick to death of dishonesty. That is my #1 most hated human fault. But I digress.
    Despite the occasional hair loss, and it is rare, I really like this brush.
    Popped the Personna 74 into my Gillette, set to 7. Why 7? I don't know. We went through this in July.
    1-9, it all the same shave. Basta.
    Nice glide. Nice protection, except when Primo uses too much pressure near the Adam's Apple...:angry019:

Side note #2: Even experienced shavers make mistakes.
    So all of you :whacky024: s
    can relax and know that even though you will get adept, you can't bat .1000 all of the time.
    3 pass, almost error-free BBS.
    Took a dab of Simpson Unscented ASB and mixed the Meehan with it for a wonderful,
    skin-nourishing
    REAL sandalwood finish.
    See you all in OCtober for more verbosity. :)

14. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SEptember recap:

I had a terrific month of shaves with Stirling products while rotating through my various SE razors. A GEM Micromatic came my way unexpectedly and I had a couple of a great shaves with it. Stirling makes high quality products and I thoroughly enjoyed going through the various scents.

It was a fun month with everyone here. I haven't posted in the past couple of days because we've been out of town. But I'll be back in the saddle tomorrow morning for the first shave of October. Looking forward to another fun month!

15. brit

brit in a box

love their indian sandalwood..

clint64, Primotenore and Norcalnewb like this.
  16. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

I'm way, way, way behind in this thread. However, I have to say that I find it admirable that you, as a soap maker, still use (and recommend) other artisan soaps. I got the chance to talk to a few soap makers at the Maggard's Meet this year. I was quite surprised, that the ones I spoke with not only didn't talk much about their own products, but quickly pointed out others that they use and love. I find that to be very humble. Kudos to you as well. You make an excellent soap, and I wish you all the success in the world!

17. Norcalnewb

Great post with some good advice, Joseph!

18. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

Thanks for identifying the Schick G - it doesn't really matter to me which it is, I was just curious. It is a beautiful razor in beautiful condition - thank you!

Ahhhh yes, the lifetime supply of blades does make it difficult to rationalise the purchase of yet more... Even so, some here still manage to do so! :D

I've already earmarked Connaught Shaving as my suppliers for the GEM PTFE blades... Unfortunately they don't stock the carbons... Or is it unfortunate? It essentially eliminates yet another variable in my quest for shaving excellence! If I like the OCMM/MMOC then I have GEM PTFE blades or nothing!

19. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Personna red
    Weishi TTO
    Proraso Green soap

Last shave of the month. Overall it was pretty good. I was getting a really nice shave but I think I got overconfident at some points and ended up with a few weepers trying to get it BBS smooth. Sometimes a DFS is more than enough. I really need to let go of the need for a BBS right now. Gotta remind myself that I'm still learning. :whacky024:

Still it was a great learning experience and I deeply appreciate the help and advice from all the members on this thread. :thanks:

20. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

You going to be sticking around for OCtober?

Norcalnewb, NCoxSTL, PLAla and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.