The Health Club

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by wristwatchb, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Looks like two of those duffnuts are in his mouth right now :)

AGHisBBS, mrchick, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Tried a couple teaspoons of Chia seeds in my dark-chocolate sugar-free "Jell-0" today for lunch dessert. I have Chia seeds and Flaxseeds.

AGHisBBS, mrchick, brit and 2 others like this.
  3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Paul, do you have a particular brand of chia seeds and flaxseeds that you recommend? They get high marks for nutritional value and fiber, so I might check into them. Thanks.

4. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I appreciate the concern, Charlie. The weight loss was directed by my doctor as the result of some knee issues that my weight was making worse, so shedding the pounds sooner rather than later is important to me. Am I maybe going a bit overboard? Ummm... if I had a dollar for every time somebody asked me that I’d be retired by now. I’ll be checking in for regular accountability, though.

Paul76, brit, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Flaxseeds-Bob's Red Mill(organic, ground)
    Chia Seeds-too early to "recommend" the kind I just bought, as I never had them before, but I have Aurora Natural (organic).

wristwatchb and PLAla like this.
  6. wristwatchb

Thank you, Paul!

Paul Turner likes this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The wife and i did flaxseeds for a while. We bought bulk at the grocery stores. To be beneficial, they need to be ground. So, we used a small coffee grinder, and ground everything, then keep it in a sealed container in the refrigerator. They can last months this way. We add it in our yogurt, and cereal. It adds a very nice nutty flavor.

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

1, 3, 4 and 5.....not sure about all that.

The window of time for consumption plays a huge role in the metabolic process.

Paul76, Frijolero and wristwatchb like this.
  9. wristwatchb

Thanks for the tip. I will give this a try.

Paul Turner likes this.
  10. wristwatchb

Please tell us more. The difference between a slow and fast metabolism has always been somewhat of a mystery. Obviously, I envy people who have a fast metabolism (for whatever reason) that don't have to count calories. I've always heard that not going into starvation mode, staying active, eating main meals earlier in the day, avoiding late night snacks, getting regular sleep, and avoiding foods that cause blood sugar spikes (followed by the inevitable lows) were smart things to do.

Keithmax, brit and PLAla like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Did the Flaxseeds for lunch dessert this afternoon.

DaltonGang and wristwatchb like this.
  12. Paul Turner

I have yet to try flaxseeds or chia seeds in cereal. Probably will "experiment" soon.

DaltonGang likes this.
  13. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

4 miles today. Hiked to Jones Gap Falls in Jones Gap state park. This is the report from my fitbit doodad.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Keithmax, lightcs1776, brit and 5 others like this.
  14. BaylorGator

Here’s a snipet of what we know from some of the most advanced metabolic studies on the planet. It may surprise you:
    https://www.vox.com/2018/9/4/17486110/metabolism-diet-fast-weight-loss

15. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Do a search for time-restricted feeding. Tons of info out there.

wristwatchb likes this.
  16. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

When is the best time to weigh yourself? I've heard first thing in the morning when you wake up, before showering and breakfast and coffee. Is that right?

I was weighed today as part of an annual health screening. I had on my clothes and shoes and wallet and keys, etc. They acknowledged that and took off 5 pounds from the reading, but that weight was about 4 pounds higher than my last weight which was a week or 10 days ago.

Stick with the same scale in the same location at a consistent time seems common sense to me.

Keithmax, brit and wristwatchb like this.
  17. BaylorGator

Your weight can vary due to a bunch of factors, but much of it is retained water. Since a gallon of water weighs more than 8 pounds, drinking a couple tall glasses of water can make your weight vary by a couple of pounds. Your body sheds excess water through perspiration at night. If you empty your bladder in the morning when you get up, and then weigh yourself, you’ll get the most consistent results. FYI, just for kicks, I weigh myself in the evening too and the results fluctuate from .5 to 2.5 lbs more than my morning weight, which doesn’t fluctuate much at all.

18. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Makes sense. I had just eaten breakfast and had water before going to my screening, so that explains the different reading.

wristwatchb likes this.
  19. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I weigh myself in the morning after going to the bathroom and before stepping into the shower.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

wristwatchb and PLAla like this.
  20. wristwatchb

Same here. I get up, use the bathroom, and weigh myself first thing in the morning. Doing this and using the same scale yields very consistent results for me.

brit, PLAla and jluc like this.