Soaps you have a love/hate relationship with.

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by SharptoothC, Sep 28, 2018.

1. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I can't be the only one. What are some soaps that you love for some reasons and hate for others? For me lately it is Simpson's Luxury Shave Cream, which I received in a PIF a while back. From a performance standpoint I find it outstanding. It lathers easily, it's protective, great glide, leaves my skin feeling soft and hydrated. But I can't fully embrace it. Why? The scent. There's something in the base that I find off-putting. I like the performance a lot, I just cannot fully enjoy it.

And on the flip side there's Puros by RazoRock. One of my favorite scents, ever. But I find the performance just meh. Put that scent on Stirling or Simpson's, and I'd go through pounds of it.

What are yours?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have two such soaps. First is Haslenger (might not be spelled right). I love the the performance. It is super slick. I just wish their performance would be matched with an equally impressive scent.

The second is to av, for the same reason. It's an amazing soap, but could use a better scent

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

3. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Williams is one for me. I appreciate it for it's price point and it's no frills approach but sometimes I really just want more from a soap I'm all about the experience. L'Occitane is another soap that perform great but it just smell lightly of soap so no scent to get excited about or anything.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

4. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

1. Arko. Great lather and shave performance at an unbeatable price. A bit drying postshave but nothing a bit of witch hazel or a balm can't fix. The scent -- isn’t bad but isn’t going to win any awards...
    2. Jeeves Cherry Blossom. Super performance including postshave feel. But the scent is just a bit too cloying for my taste. I have waffled on it back and forth but have ended up putting the nearly unused tub and matching splash in my PIF or trade bag.

jtspartan, RyX, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  5. Don Logan

Don Logan New Member

Mitchell's Wool Fat.
    D.R. Harris Marlborough.
    Palmolive classic.
    Edwin Jagger Sandalwood.

SharptoothC likes this.
  6. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Arko - urinal cake mk1
    Williams - urinal cake mk1-mod ; The thing about Williams is that it has awesome glide. But, I can't constantly hold my nose while I shave.
    Cremo - as they say impossibly slick, but too much orange for me.
    Tabac - I actually love the shave, but I hate smelling like Grandma.
    Cella - my first true wet shaving crush, but I'm not an almond guy. Like the person you dated in high school where you got along great, but there was just something that wasn't quite right.

jtspartan, SharptoothC and Frijolero like this.
  7. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Those are 2 soaps I really like. But scent isn't very important to me, unless it's really obnoxious.

For me, the love/hate would be:
    1.) Tabac stick - great convenience for travel, decent performance, meh scent
    2.) Cella - good performance, off-putting scent

Screwtape, SharptoothC and Frijolero like this.
  8. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of green irish tweed at all. So just about every soap maker on the planet has at least one that I won't like.

One other downer for otherwise awesome soaps is availability.

Martin de Candre jumps immediately to mind. And Antica Barbieria Colla. The cream is somewhat available. But if you want the hard soap, you have to order from them in Italy. And the shipping cost to the US is brutal.

But those two can be had if you are willing to pay the shipping. Then there is Calani. Fantastic soap, but she does not ship outside Europe.

SharptoothC likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Trumper's soaps. Love the scents and wooden bowls, performance is abysmal.

jtspartan, Frijolero and SharptoothC like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

not an almond fan either. gave away my rr p160 soap and balm, cella used infrequently.

Frijolero and SharptoothC like this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    There's not one soap that I can think of with which I have a love/hate relationship. If I hate it for any reason...it's gone.

12. brit

brit in a box

not into food scents per se, with exception to citrus. stirling vanilla sandal wood has a chocolatey scent to it .my wife uses it mostly..

SharptoothC and Frijolero like this.
  13. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I loved the scent and cushion from TOBS Sandalwood cream, but it burned my face.

I found the same with Caties Bubbles Conneticut Shade. Gorgeous soap but irritation city.

It's definitely just my skin.

SharptoothC, Frijolero and PLAla like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Winner

15. Primotenore

Article Team
    :eatdrink047:

RyX and SharptoothC like this.
  16. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Pre De Provence - great soap but it caused irritation. Speick Cream - for the same reasons as Pdp.

SharptoothC and PLAla like this.
  17. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Mitchell's Wool Fat

Great slickness and protection during the shave. Amazing post-shave feel on my face. Heck, the stuff even lathers wonderfully in my water out here.

But the scent. I just can't get past the scent. It's subtle and not overpowering, a light soapy sweet aroma that hangs around. And I absolutely ABHOR it. For some reason this scent completely disagrees with me.

I've tried 2 pucks of MWF and I couldn't make it through either one. I know this is blasphemous, but I just don't like The Fat.

18. Primotenore

Article Team
    Why use it?? Really. There are so many great soaps out there. Shaving should be a totally wonderful experience. Not a partially good one.

RyX, lightcs1776, Screwtape and 4 others like this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I also question the concept of rotation, for this reason.

RyX, Screwtape and SharptoothC like this.
  20. Primotenore

Article Team
    Explain, please. My "rotation" contains only soaps that bring me pleasure to use.

RyX, BigMark83, Screwtape and 2 others like this.