Astra Superior-Platinum markings on blades, any difference?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tim Spencer, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Hey,

Months ago I received some Astra SP blades that have blade labeling that is way different. The initial ones had black writing on both sides of the blade, but the more recent ones look like some kind of silver'ish laser etching on only one side of the blade. This gives me the impression that these were made with different machines and perhaps could even have been produced with a revamped process that may have changed the way the blade shaves. Does anyone know what has changed in the manufacturing process with these?

[​IMG]

I found this image on the internet from a reddit post a year ago. This is the same thing I'm talking about.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Maybe the machine simply ran out of ink when these were produced? I can imagine them running along the conveyor belt and by the time someone notices, 5000 blades have not been imprinted, or imprinted poorly. Your face will be the best judge of the quality.

3. brit

brit in a box

i have read somewhere that the marking process has been updated ,but the blade is the same.said source thought they were knock offs...

4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Ron R, Frijolero and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

there it is, watched that a while back...i like astras so it caught my attention...

wristwatchb likes this.
  6. wristwatchb

Yes, in my experience, Astra SP's are great blades. It appears that the new markings make the blades more difficult to counterfeit.

brit likes this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

win win, better looking imo too..

wristwatchb likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Article Team
    This does NOT explain the "fading" or "poorly printed" lettering. I am sticking with my explanation. ;)

brit likes this.
  9. wristwatchb

I hope you're able to sleep tonight. This whole thing can be rather worrisome. ;)

Primotenore likes this.
  10. Primotenore

Article Team
    I sleep like a baby Charlie, but thanks. :):signs068:

11. ajc347

ajc347 Well-Known Member

I’m surprised that Gillette are saying that there is no difference in shaving performance between the laser etched blades and the older blades.

My experience, and a general consensus of a number of people on UK forums, are that there has been a change in shaving performance and it has not been a change for the better.

The older Astra Platinum’s were smooth blades and the current blades are noticeably harsher in the shave they give.

It’s a real shame that they reformulated the blade as the older Astra’s were a really good blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

The new markings might have something to do with the Illuminati and the Voynich manuscript. But, I'm not supposed to talk about it.

In any case, I'm glad I hoarded my Astras back when they were less known and less expensive. Problem solved (for me). ;)

Primotenore and brit like this.
  13. Tim Spencer

Anytime something is changed in the blade manufacturing process, it makes me paranoid that they changed something else, or everything. I want video evidence from the manufacturer of a before and after blade making video. Anything short of that and I won't believe the markings are all that changed.

brit likes this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

10 years worth here...at 1 blade a week..

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  15. Tim Spencer

It really makes a case for buying a huge number of blades when you find one you love just to be sure you always will have the blade you love. This hobby is one of being very finicky with gear and products. NOBODY likes 'change', period. Sure, I like product advancements, but once you have a new product, don't fricken change it yo!

brit likes this.
  16. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

I’ve had some of the Astra SPe with both the black ink & the very faint ink. They shaved the same for me.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  17. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

It's all a nefarious plot to get more shave forum bandwidth. :D

AGHisBBS and Frijolero like this.