The Health Club

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by wristwatchb, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Chia seeds over the dark-chocolate sugar-free Jell-O for lunch dessert today.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Keithmax and wristwatchb like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Same here.

wristwatchb, PLAla and jluc like this.
  3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Some of you may remember that I ended up in the ICU with diabetic ketoacidosis a couple of months ago. The Keto diet may be fine for many, but I don't recommend it it for those with type 2 diabetes. Now that I'm recovered and have my system back in sync, I've decided to follow a more balanced method. I've started using Weight Watchers as the points system is easy for me to follow and track on my phone, and I've had success with them in the past. The key will be being diligent in keeping it off this time. For the record I'll be 53 next month, I'm 6 feet tall and weighed 315 lbs on Wednesday morning. ( 10/3 ) Also, I did discuss this with my Dr. this time and he gave the thumbs up. Wish me well, guys. I want to lose the weight not only for the obvious health benefits, but also perhaps put off or even eliminate the impending hip replacement in my future.

4. Paul Turner

I wish you well with your plans. Thanks for this advice...I got an e-mail about the Keto, although there wasn't much to read. I had a pre-diabetes bout a couple years ago, didn't know it(Keto)wouldn't be a good idea for the "Pre-D's" like me.

Frijolero, PLAla and cmorris357 like this.
  5. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I'm looking forward to reading about your progress!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Chris, I'm pulling for you, my friend. Our stories are somewhat similar. As you know, I also had a very serious health issue with blood clots in my lungs. I had already been losing weight, but this reinforced my desire to stay on a path to become more healthy. I don't know much about all the different diet plans. They may be fine, but I hope to learn how to manage my weight and fitness by eating three reasonable and nutritional meals per day and getting regular exercise. I've been trying this approach for the last 73 days, and I've reduced my weight by 28 lbs. (I weigh 247, and I'm shooting for 185. I don't care how long it takes to get there, but I want to stay there, give or take, once I arrive.) My knees are already thanking me, and I really haven't been hungry or felt like I was missing out on certain foods. I still have much to learn, that's for sure. Logging my meals and exercise has been helpful. I'll probably need to do this for the rest of my life to keep myself properly focused. I have no doubt the Weight Watchers system will be helpful for you! Thanks for speaking up and joining us on the journey.

7. cmorris357

Thanks, Charlie. As bad as things are now they have been much worse. When my wife passed away in 2010 I grieved by eating, and at one time I weighed over 400 lbs. over the last few years I've lost a net total of about a hundred pounds but many of those pounds have been lost and gained over and over. I'm determined this time to get it off and keep it off for good. I'd like to get down to around 200 and see how things feel from there. It's a long road, but with support from friends and family, including you guys, I feel like I have a good chance. Today for instance, I took my daughter out for dinner and ordered about half of what I would have normally ordered, ate it slowly and enjoyed every mouth full and left as satiated as if I had my usual fare. I even have some points left over for a couple of cartel cookies as an evening snack.

8. wristwatchb

We're taking a little trip right now. One of the challenges when I travel is my eating habits. We're staying about a mile from one of my favorite restaurants. In my old life, I'd have a fried shrimp basket, a mountain of fries, and a cup of creamy coleslaw there for lunch. Today, I chose the grilled grouper salad and doused it with some vinaigrette dressing. I threw some Louisiana hot sauce on the grouper, and I washed everything down with a glass of ice water. I felt satisfied when it was all said and done. And we walked to and from restaurant, so I completed a 2-mile walk as well. Those are the kind of trade-offs I've been making lately. I'm just taking it a day at a time.

Keithmax, Frijolero, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  9. wristwatchb

I can't imagine how difficult these last few years have been for you, Chris. My sincere condolences on the passing of your Bride. Congratulations on your 100 lb. weight loss! Eating half-sized portions and planning for a daily snack sounds like a realistic plan going forward. I'm sure your daughter is incredibly proud of you. I am too! :)

10. brit

brit in a box

15 less beers this week., chia - pet?

11. wristwatchb

That sounds like commitment to me. Keep up the good work!
    1.jpg

Frijolero, brit and PLAla like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

That's why I ended my story with "It ain't for everybody, but it's what's worked for me."

Keithmax, Frijolero and wristwatchb like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Hot sauce is a good thing.

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

That's like cutting one full day of calories.

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  15. wristwatchb

I enjoyed a brisk 60-minute walk this morning. I estimate it at 3.5 miles, and I held my pace for the entire walk. It wasn't earth shattering, but it felt great to be outside, enjoying the weather and the scenery, and moving. I kept thinking how nice it was not to be dragging the weight I've lost recently along with me. That would have been like I was carrying 3 or 4 gallons of milk on my back.

I've read some of the information about metabolism. I guess I'm not sure if exercise speeds up your metabolism, but it sure helps me with my overall strength and fitness. I just feel better (and feel better about myself) when I do it.

I did a short cool down walk, downed some water, enjoyed the scenery on the patio while I cooled off, and finished with a relaxing 3-pass shave (Gillette NEW LC loaded with a Voskhod blade, Kent BK4, and Tabac). My Bride, sister, and I are going out for a nice dinner tonight. I already know what I will order so that I stay within my calorie target for the day.

Enjoy your weekend, all, and please share how things are going with you.

[​IMG]

Keithmax, brit, Paul Turner and 3 others like this.
  16. Paul Turner

I did the Tai-Chi class yesterday, following that up with 25 minutes on the treadmill. Y'know, the Tai Chi movements are healthy in that they get the whole body doing just that-"moving". It isn't the same as doing cross-training with upper-body lifting stuff, but doing it followed by treadmill work(especially if you get the arms swinging while on the tread)is good enough.

Keithmax and brit like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

i can finally walk up the big hill again without feeling winded. elevator not working actually in my favor...,one day at a time ...

18. brit

brit in a box

up and down the hill 4 times today plus all the stairs for laundry.getting easier and i feel less stiff.
    no beer since thursday night.

Keithmax and wristwatchb like this.
  19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I went on a moderate paced 5.5 mile bike ride to the gym, with my 12 yr old daughter. Then did a back/tricep workout, then a moderate 5.5 mile ride back. She ran 1 mile, before we did the bike ride/gym. She also worked out at the gym.

Keithmax, PLAla and brit like this.
  20. cmorris357

I've been walking more than usual, but with the bad hip it still isn't all that much. I'm counting on easier walking as the weight comes off. I elected to make Saturdays my weigh in day so the first weigh in was only 3 days into the new lifestyle. 4 lbs lost, a lot to go, but I'm determined.

Keithmax, PLAla, brit and 1 other person like this.