British Techs

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Laird, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

Did England have WW2 Techs with triangle slots? If not, what did '39-'45 British Techs look like?

dmshaver, brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

AGHisBBS, dmshaver and brit like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

the most common 1939 -49 ish british techs.. top thin handle, bottom fat handle.. 20181005_164621.jpg

dmshaver and Frijolero like this.
  4. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

Thank you for the replies, they are very helpful. Are both razors in the above photo flat bottom? Or is one slightly curved like the post war U.S. types after '46- ?

brit likes this.
  5. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I think the "flat bottom" refers to the fact that there is no diamond indent, like the US and Canadian ones. The actual geometry has a slight curve, same as a New.

brit likes this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

both are the same.i laid one base plate and cap to show both views . the only difference is the handles..

7. brit

brit in a box

i believe this is true,,new lc i think...

8. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Just purchased from a forum member a British Flat Bottom Fat Handle Tech. It's getting mailed to me beginning of the week. Looking forward to getting it. I'll post pics once I get it.

brit, Enrico and ajc347 like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The other variation besides the one @brit mentioned is what they call the hybrid tech. It is the left most one. The reason it is dubbed a hybrid is it the same base plate as the RFB (raised Flat Bottom) New with the difference being the RFB New is an open comb the tech hybrid is not. They produced these pre WWII and can be pricey if you try to buy one on a certain auction site when they specify it is a hybrid in the listing. Best bet if this one you want to buy is to scan the listings and using the pictures as a guide to find one more reasonably priced that isn't keyworded.

left is some tech base plate variants, first 2 would be of interest here, second is the opposite side of the base plate on the tech hybrid.

Techvariations1.jpg hybrid front.jpg

The only pre-war techs that had the triangle slots were the American versions (pictured) and Canadian versions (not pictured).

Here is a link to another picture that shows the differences.
    http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1939 Tech Hybrid England from Richard Snyder.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    ajc347, brit and Frijolero like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

As far as I know the flat bottom techs would have been made in the 40s up to about 50 but without date codes the only hard delineation I can say for sure is the diamond stamped base plates on the British techs can safely be assumed to have been made from the 50s up.

As far as the handles goes this thread on another forum sums up the differences. Unfortunately using the handles is not feasible for dating the razors.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=27818

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    ajc347 likes this.
  11. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I think that one of my grail razors is the last one. Also pricey when they show up on US eBay.

12. brit

brit in a box

1938-9 gillette new tech hybrid...believed to be rhodium plated.. 20181006_155712.jpg

Frijolero likes this.
  13. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

Very cool. I have some various Techs. I was thinking of gifting a Pre-War Triangle slot Tech to a WW2 enthusiast but he is of British descent so I thought I'd do a little research and see if I could determine the Brit equivalent. At least with the U.S. and Canadian versions, the triangle slots place it firmly in the wartime era. Not so easy with the British models then, as the flat bottoms were made until 1950'ish and there are no triangle slots or date codes to differentiate war/postwar time frames. I'd be unable to say for certain that it was from '39-'45 (unless one of you knows a way). Perhaps he will be pleased with the U.S. Pre-War Triangle then. Thanks for the help on this gentleman.

brit likes this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

there is one way .i have seen but don t own a british service set,the cap and plate are the same but the gillette insignia and made in england are stamped below the center slots instead of above them.that could bring you closer to the 39-45 time frame.they do come up from time to time on ebay uk etc.i am not sure but i thought the nickel tri slot prewars were civilian only.. don t quote me on this i am still reseaching and only speak of info i have read,good or bad...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  15. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

Here is a 1947 Ad that shows the Hybrid Tech as #40 set:

1947-11-29 No15, No27, No40, No77 Australia.jpg

16. brit

brit in a box

awesome and thank you...