The one thing you dislike...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by BigMark83, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Gobucks

Gobucks Member

That tubs take forever to empty!! And got this weird thing do not like soap slopping around like on the counter or floor??

Keithmax likes this.
  2. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I have seen a number of people who do not like the glue dots, but they never said why. What is it about the dots that people find so objectionable?

3. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

For me, the glue transfers to the razor and gums things up a bit and makes cleaning a bit irritating. I also had the glue make the blade stick in a slightly off-centre position once and got a bad shave.

Keithmax and 178-bplatoon like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

larger glue dots make opening the blades a little fiddly sometimes...

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The glue makes the paper harder to take off, with no advantage that I can see, it can get on the razor blade bed and cap, I've cut my finger trying to rub it off the blade and it must make the blade cost more, how ever small the amount. I simply see no need for it and many reasons to not put it on. I really, really dislike it and I constantly look for other blades with no glue dots to replace my Polsilver Iridiums and Feathers:)

Redrock and Keithmax like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I don't use nearly enough of the current brands that use dots to have noticed them. Are they intended to keep the "envelope" they're wrapped in closed for packaging? And are they actual glue, or wax?

Redrock likes this.
  7. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think glue, because it comes away without taking the paper with it. More of a waxy or gummy texture.

The explanation I've heard is that they hold the blade centered in the wrapper. To keep the edges from being damaged. Makes sense to me. But I didn't hear it from a blade manufacturer.

My favorite blades most all have them. I've never had all of these problems that others choose to have with them.

Redrock, Keithmax, brit and 1 other person like this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

In that case, would a dunk under very hot water just melt it off?

Redrock, Keithmax and Frijolero like this.
  9. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

It softens, but it doesn't completely melt. Of course I've never tried anything too hot for bare hands.

Redrock likes this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The glue dots are there for your benefit. They keep the blade edges from rubbing the paper in transit and loosing your nice sharp edges.

Redrock, Keithmax, brit and 2 others like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

When I took a costume class as part of theater in college, the teacher was adamant about never using scissors meant for cloth on paper. I didn't think about it at the time but I guess maybe there's something to it.

Redrock, Keithmax, brit and 2 others like this.
  12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

The glue dots that I've dealt with are very similar to rubber cement... adhesive but rubbery/stretchy.

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

My shave ending....

Redrock and Frijolero like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

am happy they are there, haven t had a bad blade yet..

Redrock, Frijolero and Enrico like this.
  15. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

The wax secures the wrapper that protects the blade. I don't have any problems with the wax dot's.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Redrock, brit, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  16. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

True! SWMBO used to make our more fancy clothes (in fact she made my wedding costume) as well as clothes for the children and costumes for hallowe'en for all of us. Now she hasn't much time anymore to keep making clothes. But she taught me and the children to use her scissors only on cloth.

As for the one thing I dislike (shaving related): I can't get my Rolls Razor blades as sharp as I would like them to be. I should invest in a few good stones (I've only got a Belgian blue stone), but other things tend to sneak to the top row of the list of things which need to be done/bought. Oh, well. One day. One fine day. :)

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I intensely dislike shills, though I don't think we see them around nearly as often as in the earlier years of wetshaving sites. If someone wants to openly promote any shaving product, great, if it abides by the rules of the house and common courtesy. But the stealthy ones? They're a half-step above trolls, especially when you see a pattern of them running down their competition and they think no one notices.

Redrock, Keithmax, brit and 8 others like this.
  18. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I am so torn right now between realizing that "costume" is (probably) just a vocabulary mistake vs. asking you what character you dressed up as for your wedding. :angelic007: And either way, we probably need pix.

Redrock, Keithmax, macaronus and 3 others like this.
  19. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

[​IMG]

20. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I'm right there with you man. My wife bought me an AOS travel kit with cream, pre shave oil, post shave balm and a brush. Never used one before that. That was Christmas 2015. And with that I fell into the very, very very deep hole. But I just now crawled out of that hole and am now focused on just enjoying my shaves. Acquisitions are no longer a priority for me. Of course, the lack of funds makes that kind of easy.