Aristocrat, Sheraton, & Senator: Gillette's TTO Open Comb Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Stunning!

Douglas Carey and Herm2502 like this.
  2. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I favor the Slim because of the lower profile head. Makes it easier to get under my nose.

3. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

I was just lucky enough to find one of the last Gillette Aristocrat's
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

4. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Looks like a beauty. What date code?

AGHisBBS, Douglas Carey and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

The Aristocrat adjustable, a gold slim has the distinction of being the last all metal gold-plated DE razor that Gillette ever produced. Nice find.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Part two?

...anyway, updated the original post. There was an error. I assumed the Senator's head and handle were pinned together with some sort of rivet, when it's actually a type of security screw.

Well, after owning all of my "unicorns," the Senator, Sheraton, and 1934-1939 Aristocrat, I would have to say that the Aristocrat is the better razor, by a large margin. The 1936 British Aristocrat is an even better razor though.

BlaydRunner, brit, Jim99 and 5 others like this.
  7. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

Thank you. I will post more when I get it cleaned up. It is an H1.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

PLANofMAN, AGHisBBS and Douglas Carey like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The head profile is different. The head is noticeably flatter and thinner than the Senator/Sheraton. The Aristocrat has a heavier feel to it on the face, and is slightly more aggressive.

I'm not sure how much of that is due to it's heavier weight, and how much is due to the different head design. If you get the chance, try the British One-Piece Aristocrat or a #15 Aristocrat. The baseplate is extruded and milled, rather than stamped like the American version. Those are incredible razors, and feel nothing like a Senator/Sheraton.

Jorvaljr, brit, macaronus and 3 others like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

For posterity if anyone goes past the first page on this thread.
    aristo3.jpg

First iteration on the left made in 34/35
    Second iteration in the middle made 35?/36-37
    Third and final iteration made 37?/38-39?

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Three times awesomeness.:happy088:

11. brit

brit in a box

very nice razors here.an oc tto is in my future, most likely a british one ,but a u.s. one is wanted as well...

12. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I see the head shape difference in the 1st vs 2nd &3rd but only see the side bar difference in 2nd vs 3rd. The head shape seems the same to me.

13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The second and third iterations the head designs are identical to the riveted Sheraton and Senator. Reason I say the riveted Sheraton is there are at least 2 variations I've seen, the more common one with the rivets and the less common one made from 38 - 39 that has the non-riveted tabs like the Senator. The second and third have the same higher head profile. They way they did the rivets are also different between the first and second iterations.

The first iteration the end tabs are pressed onto the doors, second the end tabs press into the doors like the riveted Sheraton and later non-riveted razors like the 3rd iteration Aristocrat and Senator right on up through the last production year super speeds.

I can say for sure as far as the second iteration it shaves identical to my riveted Sheraton. Same aggressiveness and overall shave. It is by far the most aggressive of the 3. The first is the smoothest shaver. The third shaves I think almost the same as a Senator but I need to do a 2 day in the row with each to confirm that one though I do know it does feel pretty close to how my Senator shaves.

brit and Jorvaljr like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

For clarity here is an example of a non-riveted Sheraton. There are pictures of the riveted version on the first page of this thread.
    sheraton no rivots1.jpg

brit likes this.
  15. Lord Gillette

Lord Gillette Active Member

I didn't even know Gillette had open comb TTO until someone offered to sell a Sheraton to me via PM.

How do the open comb TTO compare to the super speed and adjustable?

16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    They shave a little better, in my opinion. The lower profile head means the angle of the shave can be adjusted a bit more than the super speeds and adjustables. Other than that, the face feel is about the same. They don't clog up like the other razors, so if you are a once a week shaver, you might find that a blessing.

If you don't love open comb razors, then there really isn't a lot of incentive to rush out and buy one. The shave isn't that different. (I'm speaking of the Sheraton and Senator here). The open comb Aristocrats are definitely more aggressive than the super speeds, and the british one weighs about as much as a Fatboy adjustable.

brit and clint64 like this.
  17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The Sheraton is super mild to me (unless you open it up a 1/4 turn)

brit likes this.
  18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Some more stuff for posterity.
    First here are the 2 types of Sheraton models side by side. Notice the difference in the tabs. Left is a 37 - 38, right is 38 - 39/40?
    sher1.jpg

Here are the 3 models from 38 and up notice they all have the same tabs. Aristocrat on the left, Sheraton in the middle and Senator on the right.
    Goc30s.jpg

Finally how to tell if the middle one is re-plated Senator or not. You tell by the screw in the handle. All 3 have different screws. On the left is the Aristocrat, middle is the Sheraton, right is the Senator. The Senator is the first TTO Gillette produced to use that type of security screw and is the only open comb TTO that does.
    These should be better pictures than the ones earlier in the thread.
    aristb.jpg sherb.jpg senb.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Zed117 and brit like this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

One other thing I wanted to add is how to tell the difference between lower profile and high profile Aristocrat head when you don't have a comparative razor to look at.

You need to look at door assembly the difference is in how the rivets are done
    comp1.jpg comp1a.jpg

On the left in both pictures is the lower head profile Aristocrat and right the higher head.

Now here is the same showing how the lifter assembly on the higher head profile Aristocrat is almost identical to the Sheraton.
    comp2.jpg comp2a.jpg

On the left in both pictures is the Aristocrat and right the Sheraton.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Zed117, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Upon doing some research I can say with 100% certainty these 3 razors were being sold in 1940.

The proof is in American Magazine Vol 129 and 130

Vol 129 1940 Jan - Jun Pg 9 has an ad for the Aristocrat Deluxe and Sheraton.

Unfortunately copyrights still apply so getting full pictures is not easy right now but the search terms within the magazine on show gillette aristocrat deluxe and sheraton all together on pg 9.

Vol 130 1940 Jul - Dec Pg 64 has an ad for the Senator. Same deal on the search terms.

Search google books or https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000598163

The other piece of circumstantial evidence is the fact they didn't use the Aristocrat brand name for the 1pc tech in 1940 calling it a Regent Tech instead most likely due to conflicting information and confusing the buying public during a new product roll out.

PLANofMAN, brit and Frijolero like this.