Shavin' Baton Rouge!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by SThomas92, Oct 12, 2018.

1. SThomas92

SThomas92 Member

Hi Everyone! My name is Shelby and I am from Baton Rouge, LA. Just started shaving and I love it!

My current setup:
    HIS Synthetic Brush - Pretty large - kind of floppy. I've got the hang of it now, though.
    Razor - Muhle R89
    Blades - Gillette 7AM and Feather seem to be my favorite
    Soaps - Really enjoy all the Stirling soaps, but here are my favorite:
    • Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
    • Stirling Lemon Chill
    • AYLM Crumiro
    • Summer Break Soaps - Currently my favorite! Very thick lather and super slick!
    Aftershave Splash - Icey Stare unscented from Summer Break. Long lasting cool - really like it.
    Aftershave Balm - Stirling is really good. Also liking the Chatillon Lux Salve. Sometimes I will mix my own with Aloe, shea butter and a mix of oils.

I've learned a lot through M Freedberg on YouTube. Main thing I need help on now is a better brush. Would like to try a boar brush if anyone has any suggestions.

Nice to meet everyone!

[​IMG]

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

3. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome!

4. SThomas92

SThomas92 Member

What is everyone's favorite tallow based soap?

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Paul76, Paul Turner and RyX like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD Shelby @SThomas92! Glad you joined us for some interactive advice.
    Good lather shot you posted. Seems you've got it figured out. If you are seeking opinions about which brush to try next - it's a varied spectrum of answers you'll get. Some folks like a soft brush, others like a bit of scrub. Semogue brand tend to be on the already broken in soft side. Omega boar brushes start off a little rougher but with use soften up quickly. There are many other makers of knots (the bristle part), then there's handles to choose. The two brands I named are among the lower pricds, but certainly not low quality choices. If you can make a choice from others recommendations you'll decide when you start using it if you like it. That'll be your best guide to your next brush.

My own experience with Omega brushes is like Charlie @wristwatchb mentioned - Jim @Jayaruh buys brand new Omega boar brushes and uses the knots. It means destroying the (cheap plastic) handle to get the high quality knot for use in a custom handle. A personal favorite is Omega model #10098. It's fat and tall with a classic barbers brush shape. Brand new it'll have a scrubby scritchy new brush feel, but within a month's use it'll soften up and be comfortable giving years of service.

In this photo, left is a 3 year old Omega Pro 98 in it's original handle. On the right is a custom handle fitted with the same knot, and pictured just after installing.
    Omega Pro #10098 & B-400 OP98 knot.jpg

brit, dmshaver and wristwatchb like this.
  8. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Slidell! Great place to learn and have fun. Concur with the Omega suggestions, great brushes.

9. SThomas92

SThomas92 Member

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone and I think I will try that out!

dmshaver and RyX like this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

11. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

12. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Welcome!

13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    SThomas92 likes this.
  16. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Hi Shelby, welcome to TSD! Look around the site & jump in where ever you like. This is a good site with good folks.

SThomas92 likes this.
  17. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

SThomas92 likes this.
  18. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

brit and SThomas92 like this.
  19. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome

SThomas92 likes this.