The British Gillette Razor.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Sep 23, 2018.

1. brit

brit in a box

new addition...nos 1948 #27 flat bottom tech set..fresh from england 20181003_181734.jpg

2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Hot damn !

brit likes this.
  3. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Congrats, it sure looks nice!

brit likes this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

My small collection of British Gillettes
    bgillette.jpg
    Top left to right
    2nd Gen Aristocrat, Aristocrat Jr., HD Rocket, Monobloc

Middle
    Flat Bottom New 3pc

Bottom left to right
    Parat, Flare Tip Rocket, British Red Tip Super Speed, Red Tip Rocket

brss.jpg

One of these days I'll get to shaving with all them so far I've only used the FB New and Aristocrat. So many razors so little time.

ajc347 and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

the red tip rocket is one of the most aggressive gillettes out there i have heard..

ajc347 and BBS like this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

As far as Rockets and Super Speeds goes yeah. If the British razors follow the same general mild to aggressiveness characteristics as the US counterparts the red tip rocket won't be in the same league as the British Gillettes same as the US red tips aren't in the same league as the American Aristocrats as far as aggressiveness goes.

When it comes time to sell the only 2 I most likely won't part with are the red tips. I just sold off a complete set of every unique variation of US Super Speeds and the red tip was one of 3 razors I kept out of 14 Super Speeds. Once I know how the British counterparts vary from the Americans it should be pretty straight forward which ones I will like and not without having to shave with them all like the blue tip rocket and super speed for example. It won't matter if it is smoother if it is about the same mildness.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    ajc347, lloydrm and brit like this.
  7. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

Just cleaned up these two. A rocket HD and an Aristocrat Jr. The rocket is in amazing condition; in fact, it gleams like rhodium or aluminum but isn't overly light. The aristocrat didn't clean up that well. Polishing should help, but we will see. I am looking forward to trying the HD! [​IMG][​IMG]

dmshaver, ajc347, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

very nice..great shaves..

9. brit

brit in a box

i had and sold the rocket hd and got a 1956 #58 in nickel/brass. same razor with fancier,grippier handle. almost like a red tip..

10. lloydrm

lloydrm Well-Known Member

The red tip rocket is hard to find. I 've come across only one real opportunity to get one and I passed. I just don't think I need another razor, not even if its brit :)

brit likes this.
  11. Jorvaljr

B968E389-38EB-4BDC-B168-F2BA6D754797.jpeg

Here is my collection of Brits. I have one that I sent out to razor emporium for a tune up that is not pictured but it’s exactly the same as the French version which is pictured.

1. No 21 Gold
    2. No 59
    3. No 66
    4. No 21
    5. No 58
    6. No 52A
    7. No 52A Gold
    8. Aristocrat Jr
    9. Parat
    10. Thin handle tech
    11. No 26 tech
    12. Fat handle tech
    13. New
    14. All brass tech ( aka sportsman ) ( not really though)
    15. Gold pat pending ( unsure what it is )
    16. French silver plate OC Aristocrat
    17. ( not pictured ) 1936 Silver OC Aristocrat

Somnos, preidy, dmshaver and 3 others like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

For 15. if you are referring to the one in the blue plastic case that one should be a Gold LD (Light Duty) Rocket. The way to tell is by the weight. The HD Rocket will weigh about 71 - 72 grams, the Paperclip aka LD Rocket about 34 grams and the Gold LD Rocket is about 29 grams.

The difference it weight of the 2 LD Rockets comes down to the LD rocket only having an aluminum handle and the Gold LD Rocket having an aluminum handle and aluminum doors and maybe a few other aluminum parts to reduce the weight some more.

brit and Jorvaljr like this.
  13. Jorvaljr

No the one in the blue case is the anniversary all aluminum gold anodized which I listed as 7 no 52A gold and the the other one in the blue case is listed as 6 no 52 is the LD rocket which has the aluminum handle but nickel head and tto knob.

The unknown gold one with pat pending looks just like the no66 but it’s gold. The base plate is the stamped base plate with pat pending inside and made in England and Gillette logo underneath. In the photo I have it in a gold case that is an American Aristocrat case.

BBS likes this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That would make the razor a 4th gen if it is like the razor in the no66 set. I know for sure they produced a gold plated version of that razor but wouldn't know what set it came in. I've seen other examples on ebay and shave forums but no clue what set(s) they belong to.

15. Lord Gillette

Lord Gillette Active Member

Any difference between the American and British super speed?

brit likes this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Now that I've done some side by side shaving use the same blade in 2 razors to shave each side of the face and using the other side to do the same on opposite sides of the face I can say for sure the Red tip Rocket has a little more blade feel and shaves both sides of my face closer compared to an American Red tip.

On the other hand the Rocket shaved my right side of my face closer than the British Red tip on the left based upon how fast the hair grew back while the British Red tip did the same on the right side compared to the Rocket on the left side of the face. The initial shave the sides felt about even until a few hours later as stubble appeared and hair grew back. That tells me they should be about the same as far as how they shave and the way the hair grows on my face is the culprit here.

The only one left to do is the left and right side using the American and British red tip on the same shave.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    dmshaver, Lord Gillette and brit like this.
  17. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

I have a new addition to my made in England razor family, a Fat Handle Tech. A couple of shaves in & I'm getting incredibly good shaves. It is a different razor entirely from the American version of the Fat Handle Tech. I look forward to many shaves with it to get it dialed in. I've used a GSB the first couple of shaves. It's going to be fun finding the blade that is best suited to this new favorite of mine.
    IMG_0042.jpg IMG_0044.jpg

jtface, Frijolero, brit and 1 other person like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

enjoy,nice razor. try a heavier handle , works awesome for all these and related razors..i use a fluted solid handle from a 1953 canadian military tech set., but a ball end handles weight is very similar..

dmshaver likes this.
  19. Jorvaljr

[​IMG]

I forgot to add show these 2 psycho techs that are made in England

dangermouse, dmshaver, BBS and 2 others like this.
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Is that the original key or a reproduction?

Jorvaljr likes this.