Has it all been a lie... MWF review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by LevelupShaves, Oct 10, 2018.

1. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Is the earth actually flat? Is Elvis still alive? Is there really a Loch Ness monster and Bigfoot ?
    I don’t know what to believe anymore because from some of my earliest days in the shaving forums I’ve always heard Mitchell’s Wool Fat is a difficult soap to lather. To be fair I usually dial down statements like that a little bit because people generally exaggerate just how hard a soap is to lather (Williams)... but there’s at least a little truth to it right? Not this time I went in using MWF expecting it to be somewhere between a Barrister and Mann to Williams level of difficulty and what I got was a soap that was pretty easy to lather. I mean no special technique nothing just swirled a brush and got a great lather. Seriously this is as easy to lather as a Catie’s Bubbles or Chiseled Face to lather.
    I had also always heard this soap had a great post shave feel and I’m glad to report that rumor is spot on! The post shave of this soap is incredible easily one of my favorites. Very hydrating but not very heavy post shave at all.
    It’s a fairly slick soap pretty much right down the middle and it smells like soap no frills just a nice clean scent. At $12 for a refill puck that’s triple milled I feel great about the price.
    Here’s more of that easy to make lather.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

MWF is a really good soap. It’s even better if you grind some down along with some Haslinger Schafmilch and half of each. The Fat ‘As. Now that’s an amazing soap.

Zed117, Frijolero, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  3. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I think some people have to adjust for hard water, but on the whole- yes it’s all been a lie. :eatdrink013:

4. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

Think I'll do just that. Ta ta!

Frijolero, PLAla and brit like this.
  5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Yes, The Fat is a great soap. Not difficult to lather at all. The lather, to me, does look a bit airy and foamy compared to some other soaps when it's straight off the puck, but it works out into beautiful lather once face lathered. I use The Fat every Friday and quite enjoy it.

6. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

It's a myth that grew its own legs somehow. There are maybe 3 people out there who actually have trouble with it, but hordes of people who "heard" it's finicky.

7. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

All soaps I start off a damp brush and swirl to get a pastry type lather. Start face lathering and add water to dial it in. The Fat isn't as hard as I once thought either. Great soap!

8. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I plan on trying it again myself. I actually like the smell. I guess you could say it's "organic" which I like.

9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Wait....
    Elvis is dead?

For real
    Nice post

tp

Frijolero and LevelupShaves like this.
  10. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

It’s a great soap, I’ve never had issues with it either. I only have 5 soaps in rotation now and that will be down to 3 if I ever use up my 2 jars of MdC. MWF will always be in use.

RyX, PLAla, Zykris and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

For me, face lathering using paint strokes worked out the initial foam/frothy lather.. i added water to it as I went

RyX, Linuxguile and PLAla like this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I'll pile on. Oftentimes with MWF, to get the excess air out, I will followup my brush-lathering with my fingertips, quasi pressing the air out.

Yehuda D and RyX like this.
  13. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

I don't know about this... People keep saying that. But here in Southern Arizona the water is as hard as you will find anywhere, and I have not had any problems lathering anything. Even modern Williams lathers fine for me.

Mike Brown, brit, RyX and 5 others like this.
  14. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I'm in San Diego (NE county) and the water is extremely hard here, too. I've never had a problem with MWF or any other soaps.

Yehuda D, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  15. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

If technique Trump's tools I suppose it trumps hard water too right!
    Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  16. Lord Gillette

Lord Gillette Active Member

is the lather thin and watery?

17. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Not for me it isn't. I can get a nice silky lather with soft peaks and a nice sheen as I do with all of my soaps.

18. Lord Gillette

I guess those MWF haters lied about it then.

19. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Same thing is said about modern Williams, and is not true. I think people just want an 'easy' button.

20. Lord Gillette

Maybe with all the artisan soaps out there, people got lazier? <3