Anyone getting in on the Ascension?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ambrose21, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Yup just looked at it while on lunch. Going on the Xmas list for now. Would set me over my current saving budget...

Str8on2, RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I already got a shipping notification, PAA is on their game!

Weasel640, Str8on2 and RyX like this.
  3. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Yeah they are fast. Especially if it's a work day. If it's on a weekend, they will get in out first thing on Monday morning. I only live a few hours from where they normally ship from, so I get my orders in no time...

4. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

5. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

I have GOT to stop looking around the forum. This is not good for my budgeting attempts. Trying to enjoy what I got and put more money into investments/savings. But this looks like one tempting buy.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2018
    stanko, Paul Turner and luv2shave like this.
  6. Str8on2

It delivered. And then some....

7C9BC023-1C93-4650-8E9F-09B5E19D124B.jpeg

7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

SS Ascension with the Asylum RX handle.[​IMG]

Linuxguile and Str8on2 like this.
  8. Str8on2

Stunning combo!

Linuxguile likes this.
  9. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Great looking razor. Tempted but I'm passing at this time. I'm on the vintage kick right now.

Paul Turner and Linuxguile like this.
  10. Str8on2

Shave update:

13 hours later after my shave with the SS Ascension that left me BBS last night, I'm still feeling a great smooth finish. Definitely a DFS as I feel a tiny stubble area around the Adam's Apple but, that's always a given for me no matter what razor I use.

Just an excellent feeling and lasting shave result so far....

Linuxguile and luv2shave like this.
  11. Linuxguile

SOTD OCtober 3rd
    [​IMG]

Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements SS DOC Ascension
    Treet New Steel
    30DCLE (26mm, Frigate Class)
    RazoRock What The Puck Blue Barbershop
    Stirling Glacial Unscented PSB &
    Florida Water

I left the Ascension fully tightened down. There was still a little bit of blade feel so I would say that this razor fully tightened down is mid aggressive. My only complaint about the SS Ascension is the handle knurling. The knurling isn't really deep enough for it to be grippy and it did feel a bit slippery at times. I do like the way the top comb re-hydrates the lather as you shave and keeps everything very slick.

12. Str8on2

Not a bad combo at all. Ascension Aluminum head with the SS Ascension handle. Good feel and weight although it still feels a little handle heavy but, the combination produced a hell of a shave with exquisite results. Sleeper Alert!

3F645819-63B9-4E0E-88A1-D21D59536AF3.jpeg

13. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

I received my Stainless Steel Ascension from Phoenix yesterday. It's mighty heavy. The blade curve of this looks steep. I haven't put a blade in it yet, but man, it looks aggressive. I haven't taken any pictures yet. I will be using it and posting in a SOTD soon. So be on the look out. No sneak peaks. You have to watch the SOTD thread to find the debut in my shave collection.

***Edit - I think after watching reviews that the very curvy blade angle would be more mild, not more aggressive (hey, I'm 2 years into wet shaving and still no massive expert). So, I'm going to have to experiment some with how far down I twist it. I'm looking forward to testing different blades and angles until I find the best combo of blade and setting. I also wonder if this razor is made in the U.S.A. or if this is a foreign Asian conscription job. It looks to be machined well regardless, but it would be cool if made in U.S.A. The manufacture source is not listed on the box.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Str8on2 and Linuxguile like this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

If it were made in the USA you can be sure it would be central to its marketing. I presume it's machined in China. It's very well made.

Str8on2 likes this.
  15. Str8on2

Congrats. It’ll give you a really nice shave. Nice blade feel while still retaining very good smoothness.

Linuxguile likes this.
  16. Linuxguile

SOTD OCtober 5th
    [​IMG]

Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave
    PAA SS DOC Ascension
    Treet New Steel (2)
    Yaqi Professional (30mm, Cruiser Class)
    PAA Pineapple Bay Rum soap & AS

With the Ascension opened up a quarter turn I was able to use a much shallower angle which really made for a more comfortable and closer shave.

17. Str8on2

Another good one with the Ascension last night. This aluminum version of it has proven me wrong in that a lightweight razor can and will give just as good a shave as a razor with more weight to it. This thing is like a small sports car racing around my face with excellent balance between smoothness and efficiency. Great little razor....

624A6A63-41D4-42C0-819B-AC54401CF0D8.jpeg

18. Str8on2

Yesterday's shave report with the Ascension....

Had a very, very good shave this morning with the PAA Ascension Twist SS razor. And just to change things up a bit, I used the Gamechanger Radio Knob handle on it. It actually felt better in the hands and better balanced than the Bomb Tip handle that came with it. Better knurling and feel and weight distribution was just about right. I haven’t had a single complaint so far from this razor and the shaves have been smooth and so efficient. A heck of a deal for $80. Great, great value.

5C8B287A-C985-4D73-8ABD-942EE4E45412.jpeg

19. Lord Gillette

Lord Gillette Active Member

Wow the SS version looks sick but out of my price range.

Str8on2 and Linuxguile like this.
  20. Linuxguile

I bet the Radio Knob adds a bit of mass, Great shot Gus!

Str8on2 likes this.