NEW handle options

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigMark83, Oct 12, 2018.

1. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I really like my new sc, however the handle leaves much to be desired. What aftermarket handles will fit?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It's standard threading in the New so most any modern production handle will fit. About one half ounce of tungsten putty in the Common Bar Handle will also bring it into perfect balance at @72g..
    [​IMG]

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Just about any handle will fit, as @jmudrick mentioned. These are a couple I have used on New OC heads. The top one is a Colonial General on a New LC and the bottom is a Maggard MR-5 on a New SC.................

unspecified.jpg

4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Star DE. [​IMG]

Douglas Carey, Spud, stanko and 2 others like this.
  5. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

How do you get the lead or putty into the handle?

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I just use a small screwdriver to push putty into the opening of the CBH, checking balance as I go. You can seal it with wax when you're done though I don't think it's necessary with this closed bottom .handle

RyX and MntnMan62 like this.
  7. MntnMan62

Are you saying the top threaded piece that the top cap screws into opens down into the handle? If that is the case, I'm going to do as you suggest. I haven't found an alternative handle that will fit the NEW without some sort of modification, which I am reluctant to do. My Ikon Bulldogs won't fit. My biggest issue with the NEW is the light weight of that handle. If I can make it heavier then I would use it much more than I do now, which is once every couple months.

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yeah. Lead shot works as well, I just don't like the idea of lead. Be careful not to overdo the putty.

The Star handle works great and matches the gold They are easy to nab on eBay and it's a fine razor to boot.

Douglas Carey, RyX and MntnMan62 like this.
  9. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I actually don't mind the weight, it's the lack of texture I don't like.

Douglas Carey and RyX like this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Fat handle Tech? Everybody gots one of them...
    [​IMG]

11. MntnMan62

The Fat Handle from the Tech painted black looks pretty good but I find those handles too light as well. I think I’m going to take @jmudricks suggestion and put some tungsten putty in there. As much as I can fit. And then I’ll drip some candle wax in there to keep the water out and see how I like it.

12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Ha! I put a bit less then half ounce of tungsten in that one too. Balance spot on with my LC.

[​IMG]

Douglas Carey, stanko and MntnMan62 like this.
  13. MntnMan62

I put the entire ounce of putty in my common bar handle. I like my handles on the heavy side and now it sure is. I only hope it's not too heavy. If it is I have another two common bar handles I can put just a half ounce into. And the concept of loading my Fat Handles from my Techs with some putty is sounding like a great idea. As I type this I think I'm going to do just that. I'll buy another ounce of the tungsten putty, put half of it in my Fat Handle Tech and if the ounce in the Common Bar is too much, I'll stick the other half ounce into one of the others. But now I can't wait to use my newly weighted NEW short comb. It should feel like an entirely new razor, no pun intended.

Screwtape, RyX and jmudrick like this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

One thing to be aware of is that tungsten putty will move inside the handle if not sealed (gravity being a thing). Over time It will ooze right out the bottom of a hollow open bottom handle stored upright (like my Cooper). It may migrate to the threads at the top depending on how it's stored. Easily cleaned up and problem solved if sealed with wax but I thought I'd mention it.

Douglas Carey, brit and RyX like this.
  15. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Just wondering, couldn't epoxy also be used to seal it?

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Sure. Wax might be easier to remove but I've never sought to reverse the procedure.

17. MntnMan62

As I pushed each tiny piece in I used a small nail head to tamp down the putty. So I'm guessing it's not going anywhere. If I do notice some evidence of it moving around I'll drop some hot wax in there to seal it better. I store my razors either hanging on a razor and brush stand or standing up in a wooden razor stand, always with the head up. The only time they aren't standing up like that is when I'm using it and I set it down on it's side while I re-lather for the next pass.

Douglas Carey and jmudrick like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

i use a gold handle from a fat handle tech. no issues, but i still want to weight it.

19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yeah, It's not that much heavier than the Common Bar Handle.

Douglas Carey, RyX and brit like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

no ,just a little better grip..imo