The Clubman Exchange

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Paul Turner, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

An update for all interested-I haven't seen her since that first...........encounter :)

AGHisBBS and Edison Carter like this.
  2. yellowgiallo

yellowgiallo Well-Known Member

I have used Clubman exclusively for years. Just recently branched out and tried the Bay Rum and Vanilla. Enjoy both but that Bay Rum is something special.

3. Paul Turner

From those two, I'd pick the Vanilla. I'm told the Bay Rum is very clovey, and I'm not a clove man, unless the scent blends in comfortably with the Bay leaf.

dmshaver and RyX like this.
  4. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

But I hear you have a new female workout partner!

Edison Carter and Paul Turner like this.
  5. Paul Turner

ahh, we aren't partners, just classmates(Tai Chi class, that is). We did that walk together, but I'm not crazy about that "trail"...there's a lot of getting out of the way of bikers. She's a nice person.

Edison Carter, AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I was trying to decide what soap to use the ginny gents gin with, i put the bottle to my nose, a little gentle sqeeze to bring the aroma forefront, a stream of bathtub gin went right up my left nostril. I coughed and snorted, my eyes watered and it burned. (Still does)
    I finally decided to try soap Commander respect (lime and patchouli). The soap was invisible to my senses, and it's normally loud . I thought maybe less is more, for now, i ended the shave with iced Florida water, which i can barely smell.
    Note to self, and discerning intelligent men looking to learn, aftershave should not be applied up your nose, I'm just sayin', may save some some grief.

7. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

I have used Clubman for over 50 years, don't need fancy or matching scents for my soaps. I have received many samples of other companies goods through the years----usually pass on without ever smelling since I have no desire to change from the usual!

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Not like they came up with any new scents. Just different blends of the same stuff.
    dictionary remix.png

9. Paul Turner

I'm trying to recall the last time I used Clubman A.S. after a shaving cream before this morning. Can't come up with a date. Since joining TSD, I've been coupling it with Stoylin Barbershop soap(and I will be back to that "duo" again soon), which has been nice. Clubman A.S. works equally well with soap and cream/foam, IMO.

10. Paul Turner

Amazon reports over 2100 reviewers for the original Aftershave, 74% give it 5 stars 13% give it 4, the other star counts are scattered in the single digits. That's as of this writing.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Ursa, Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  11. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

I save Clubman for weekend shaves or shaves that are just for me. Working in an office environment with close quarters really limits what scents I can use, and how much of them I can splash on.

Outside of the office though, I apply this glorious potion very liberally and bask in the powdery, barbershop sweetness that is Pinaud Clubman. I can almost smell it now...

Ursa and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  12. Paul Turner

I'll never understand why this "Office Fragrance Sensitivity" issue has become such a problem.

13. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

It sure doesn't apply to lots of female office workers, more than a few times I have nearly gagged!!!

14. Paul Turner

Sorry you ended up gagging, but I recall a female office worker right behind me, and she had the perfume Red Door. It was nice to smell-I wasn't going to tell her "Lose the lovely fragrance, will ya?"

Daywalker and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  15. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Clubman has gotten the thumbs-up from the ladies at my workplace. I don't exactly slather it on, but use enough to take care of my face, and, on me, the fragrance fades away in 90 minutes.

Barbasol Brisk is my "weekend" and "leisure shave" go-to...

16. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Chantilly, which my Mom used to wear until it started to trigger my sister's asthma attacks, is the worst offender among (old) ladies' fragrances. Gah!

17. Paul Turner

I'll have some good Clubman action for most of next week, which will include the Gents Gin aftershave, as there will be a couple warm days.

18. Paul Turner

On another site, I saw some commentary that Special Reserve A.S. is a solid match for coffee-scented shave soaps. Has anyone else used this combination?

19. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

People in general have become more entitled, once they saw or heard someone claiming to get headaches or allergies from fragrance and having upper mangment act on it, it triggers something in their brain, it becomes a way to get attention and feeds their ego by getting their way. A very small portion actually has some type of allergy. I notice with the younger work force that when things get tough or complicated or they just dont want to do something they retreat to the "bathroom". All this stuff is influenced by earlier interactions and becomes a defense and pride issue. The human brain is very complicated. I worked many years in the medical field so i had a good 10 years were i couldnt wear anything, but i think thats fair, people having breathing problems shouldnt have to deal with fragrances that could excaserbate the issue, but in a regular office setting ots just people who may not like the scent wanting to get their way.

20. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

The one I don't like is white diamonds.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk