Anyone getting in on the Ascension?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ambrose21, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Yes, it does Andrew. But, not overly so. It still has nice balance and feel. And thanks bud...... :happy088:

Linuxguile likes this.
  2. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

For a Stainless, it is in a very reasonable price range...

Though it is outside of my current budget as well. For this reason it'll go on my Xmas list. If I don't get it for Xmas, I'll get it once the annual shave budget open back up if still available...

Str8on2 and Lord Gillette like this.
  3. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Oh yeah. I'm in on this too. I tightened it down, then loosened a quarter-turn (1/4th) and it shaved extremely well for me. I was surprised at how much I could feel the blade on this razor. I thought I wasn't going to feel blade exposure but I felt the blade more than any other razor except my Sterling Slant and Gillette ABC razors. Amazingly though the shave came out great with virtually no irritation. So I'm extremely happy with this shave. 10/10 for me on just the first go. I will continue to play with settings and likely use this razor more often.

IMO, the value of this razor is great. $80 for a high-grade stainless steel razor with a super-cool double open comb (looks wicked cool) is a fantastic value.

And, I haven't heard anyone speak as highly about the grip-knurling on this razor, which is the BEST of any razor I own. And I own some great razors. Going into my first shave I was skeptical whether PAA could actually make a good razor, but color me as pleasantly surprised with my experience. I actually am fully recommending this razor as a 'buy'. And if you want a razor capable of lasting beyond your lifetime, then the $80 cost seems very reasonable. I very nearly want to call this a 'must buy', but that depends entirely on what you want out of a razor and if you consider it worth paying $80 for a long-lasting razor. I think that $80 is about as reasonable a price point for most people as it gets for an heirloom-capable razor.

Str8on2, Linuxguile and Primotenore like this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Experiment. I found 1/8 turn much smoother and about as efficient.

Str8on2 and Linuxguile like this.
  5. Tim Spencer

Did you not like the handle that came with the Ascension? I consider the stock Ascension handle to be the best aspect of this razor. The grip was fantastic even with some lather on my fingertips. I don't want any other handle on the Ascension after shaving with the stock handle. It's the most 'grip-ey' handle in my collection (although it is heavy for sure).

Linuxguile likes this.
  6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I found myself wanting for a little more grip then the SS bomb tip could offer. I use Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap every shave and that stuff is so slick it makes holding on to anything a challenge. I haven't had that issue with any other of my SS handles. But some, such as the Rex or Webber Classic, offer tons more grip.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It's a fine handle. Not an issue for my beard but for my head shave my preference is for a somewhat lighter handle which balances closer to the traditional balance point just below the neck. The Asylum RX handle grips fine, is 14g lighter, and balances closer to the head as I like. The Ascension handle is certainly no problem, just a matter of preference.

That being said I would be surprised if the handle was designed with the Ascension in mind, it seems most PAA/RR handles are designed more for general use than head specific. Bespoke handles are usually designed with the traditional balance point in mind.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Linuxguile likes this.
  8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It is a good shaver, maybe not the best but certainly not bad. It is a keeper

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

That sounds a lot like my 1960's Gillette travel Tech I just shaved with.

Paired with a Durham Duplex handle and a Perma-Sharp Super blade; and you have a sweet shave. :eatdrink013:

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It's a way different beast. I love my Techs, the Post -War is especially effective ATG on my head. The Ascension is simply in another league in terms of efficiency in my experience.

11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I only mean in the sense that there are some razors that are good and some that are awesome. Techs are one of my favorites, they all vary in their shave just a little.

jmudrick likes this.
  12. Str8on2

Almost a dozen shaves in with the Ascension SS and not a single bad shave with this razor. Uncany how smooth and yet efficient this razor is. I honestly can not find a fault with its performance. You can go from feeling a shave comparable to the .68 Gamechanger all the way up to a .95 Timeless OC razor. And yet, it keeps that inherent smoothness throughout that simple 1/4 turn twist or less depending on the feel you are looking for in a shave. I'm extremely impressed with the Ascension SS and would recommend it to anyone from a newb to a seasoned veteran. Easy to use and even easier to dial in your custom shave.

The one caveat that perhaps might matter to most is the handle itself. I feel as though the knurling on it is not as deep or pronounced as compared to other handles that offer better grip. Not that it has ever slipped or fallen from my hands but, I think with a better, deeper and more pronounced knurling to provide better tactile feel, PAA would have hit a grand slam with this tool. Still for the construction, alloy, quality of shave and value, it's a home run imho......

002F2227-92CA-4408-BAF7-032EEA963935.jpeg

Enrico and Linuxguile like this.
  13. Tim Spencer

Weird. I just shaved with the Ascension a few days ago and I think the grip on it is better than all my other razors. I thought it was the best aspect of the razor. No, the knurling isn't deeply notched, but there is a kind of tiny 'micro' grip-ey feel to the steel. It's hard to describe but even with soap on my fingers it didn't slip. Kind of like those non-slip floors type of thing. I quite liked my shave even at a 1/4th turn and really strong blade feel. I'm going to go less aggressive with less blade-feel next time and I bet it will be an even better shave.

Linuxguile and Str8on2 like this.
  14. Str8on2

It's just nitpicking on my part, to be honest. Overall, it's an excellent and well constructed razor.
    The handle comment was more of a comparison to other razors that have
    a very substantial feeling in terms to knurling and grip. I'm just used to the feel from like the Gamechanger, Rex, Dart and a couple others. It's not a knock on the PAA Ascension and I didn't mean it that way. Like I said, it's just nitpicking on my part. I can't fault the razor overall.

Yeah, experimenting with the adjustment really does fine tune the Ascension to the specific feel you're looking for. You can go from mild to very efficient with a simple twist and anything else in between.

It's not a groundbreaking innovation as it has been around for more than a century with the earlier Gillette OC's in which some were marketed to be a semi adjustable razor. Just that PAA created more of a curvature to the razor head & plate that naturally by design would create tension once a blade is installed. Simple but genius..

PLANofMAN, luv2shave and Linuxguile like this.
  15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

YES! Thank you, Gus! This is exactly my feelings about the knurling on the Ascension handle, explained more elegantly!

Str8on2 likes this.
  16. Str8on2

giphy (11).gif

Enrico and Linuxguile like this.
  17. Str8on2

A quick update on the Ascension as I hadn’t shaved with it in some time. It’s been out doing a mini tour with a couple of members who wanted to try it out. Plus, I’ve had a few other razors come in and haven’t been able to get it in the rotation. Well, tonight was the night and it felt as good as the first time I tried it. Exceptional smoothness and great efficiency that turned 24 hours of growth into nothing. Gave it a 1/16 of a turn from nice and snug and it was on. A really, really nice shaver and that DOC design really helps it in letting some lather get through to turn up the glide factor another notch. A great performer this razor. I giggle everytime I use it. Stainless Steel construction that’s pretty spot on and a finish that is nicely done. No, it’s not a Wolfman or a Timeless and it doesn’t need to be for the asking price truthfully. Well under $100 for a quality razor that does exactly what it’s supposed to do. Give you a nice comfortable shave a tiny turn at a time. Much smoother than it’s big brother, the defunct EVO DOC SS which I still have and love, and nearly just as efficient in removing the whiskers. It’s a permanent fixture in my den, period.

2DE3EE50-60C1-4B6D-9C92-5A761996FC71.jpeg

Tim Spencer and jmudrick like this.
  18. Str8on2

Copper in the making......

68AF51E5-1D6D-47D0-9D4F-C80B3FEAD8F3.jpeg

19. Tim Spencer

I saw this at the Big Shave S'West on Saturday. $99. I already have the Stainless Steel version that I bought for less. I passed. I bought the $250 Rex Ambassador and it turned out to be a great investment. The Ambassador is a the real deal high end shaver it's marketed as. First time I used it it was intuitive and gave a perfect shave. Nothing against the Ascension, which is a really good shaver, but I have the Stainless already.

Str8on2 and brit like this.
  20. Str8on2

You are right, it's a valid point as I also have the SS version of the Ascension. My thing is that the Copper version intrigues me. I've never had a Copper Alloy razor and this could potentially be the first. The SS is a great shaver and if the copper version at least equals it, for $99 that's not to cost prohibitive just to find out. I should say for me it's fairly cost prohibitive. And if it's a better shaver, not a bad deal.