Hat question for those in the South

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Jun 22, 2018.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Biting got really inconsistent. A local told me the fish come and go with the daily tides through one inlet so there's no consistent fishing, even in the same spots under the same conditions. One day good biting, next day nothing because they're not there. So I've hung it up for awhile now that I got to get ready for the new job. The guy says there's a nearby point on the bay itself that has consistent fishing but I've not tried it yet, not sure when I will.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  2. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

So, this is a bit of an older thread, but I am going to drag it back up.
    I am in medication that leaves me prone to getting very badly sunburned.
    Well, this is no good since I work outside.
    Now mind you I live in South Central Texas.
    I wear a hat all day, every day 6days a week. It is the least expensive straw coyboy hat I can find.
    I do have it reshaped, and made to look more "modern".
    It actually does more than make me feel like John Wayne, it keeps the sun off my head, it allows the wind to pass through, and the sweat to evaporate thereby cooling, and if I must wait somewhere for someone to get done, I can take it off and fan myself.
    Plus, when I see a lady, I can tip my hat to her.

Enrico, gorgo2 and Erik Redd like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Can we see pics of your hat?

4. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Your wish is my command.
    I look at this as an expenditure yearly.
    If it costs more than 30 bucks, I won't buy it.
    It has to be cheap, so when it gets old, faded, cracks, or messed up, I'm not upset.
    http://www.bootbarn.com/cody-james-...D_BwE&ef_id=WOk9pwAAAPJlgj4a:20180903140427:s

This is where I buy it .we have 2 brick and mortar stores in my town, so I'm in and out in about 20 minutes.
    The only difference between the link and my actual hat is small.
    I custom shape the back of mine. More of a bend to keep the sun off my neck (in Cowboy vernacular it is sometimes called a ropers bend) and I lose the ribbon hat band, and replace it with a custom leather band that was made for me in Laramie Wyoming. It helps to absorb more sweat on the outside of the hat.

Enrico, battle.munky, Sara-s and 2 others like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I had one similar except I replaced the ribbon with barb wire ... talk about the double takes I got.
    [​IMG]

I was the crazy gringo. :happy097:

ordinaryshaver likes this.
  6. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Another fan of the Tilley hats here. I’ve had 2 of them for 20 years or more, and wish I had been wearing brimmed hats prior to that. I’ve had numerous basal cell carcinomas and squamous cell carcinomas, with some rather extensive Moh’s surgeries, including a sizable one on my eyelid requiring reconstructive surgery. Too many years of wearing nothing, or just a baseball cap has taken it’s toll.

One of my Tilley’s is a wide brim that I always wear when working outside in the sun. I’ve got another with a little narrower brim that I wear a lot in the cooler months.

Erik Redd likes this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Bounce House B-Day party 10202018.gif Attended a birthday party yesterday. I joined the younger attendees in the bounce house for a few minutes and took the obligatory selfie. The cap I'm wearing is labeled in an Asian script so I have no idea what the makers name is. I picked it up for my grandson and altered it to fit him. A button and loop of braided thread tightened it up to fit his noggin. Otherwise the Newsboy style cap fits my 7-5/8 sized head just fine.

BamaT and gorgo2 like this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

20181021_151439_crop_575x720.jpg

My two polypropylene straws (tan = Goodwill, blue = Target clearance, $5). Tan is a bit stingy but not too stingy; blue is a fuller and more traditional fedora shape. It took a little work to shape them and get the brims as waterproof as possible (lots of leak-through, obviously; wearing glasses I want to be able to wear them in the rain) but they are still fairly cool out in the sun. Being lightweight woven plastic, they should outlast me. I'm content with them and will likely sell off my fur felt.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    RyX, BamaT and wristwatchb like this.
  9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Nice looking hats! Have you had a chance to evaluate the sun protection yet?

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

How to go about doing that?

11. Pete123

Pete123 Well-Known Member

12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

That's an impressive soup-strainer ya got there, too. :D

13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I apologize for not being more specific. Do these woven hats prevent sunburn on your head, face, neck, and ears after you've been out in the sun a for an extended period of time? I'm fair skinned and have short/thinning hair, so that's the main reason I wear a hat. My Dad took little precaution in the sun, and he had several occurrences of skin cancer in his later years. I hope to avoid that if possible.

BamaT and gorgo2 like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

My dad also just have a few more hunks taken out of his nose, says he looks like something from a '50s horror movie. Truth is, I'm fairly light skinned and don't go out in the sun much, but now that I'm down here I tend to have something on if it's for any length of time so I can't answer yet. And yeah, a ballcap won't cut it for the ears.

BamaT and wristwatchb like this.
  15. richgem

:innocent

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gorgo2, Frijolero and wristwatchb like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Would you believe I trimmed it that morning? Any longer and I taste my morning coffee later in the day.

wristwatchb and richgem like this.
  17. richgem

Well, you never know when you might need a quick pick-me-up.

BamaT and RyX like this.
  18. Mr Two Bits

Mr Two Bits Well-Known Member

Yet another Tilley fan here. Got mine at one of the numerous gift shops @ the Grand Canyon and I wear it here in Georgia year round. It’s cool enough in the hottest weather and warm enough in the winter, unless it just gets absurdly cold... like, in the teens (which, for Georgia, is absurdly cold). Looks good with anything short of full on dress clothes.

gorgo2 and BamaT like this.
  19. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

I'm a bird watcher and will wear several different styles, from a baseball cap to a cheap John Blair bucket-style hat to a Tilley Airflo, all depending on how much neck coverage I need. I love the Tilley because it has snaps so I can wear the brim down for full coverage or snap the sides up for a lighter feeling.

20. Macbeth

Macbeth Active Member

Down in the swamps of South Louisiana, I always wear a hat.

Akubra, Tilley, Fedora...... I must have 30 hats.
    NO BALL CAPs!
    I think there is a line between men and boys:Boys wear CAPS. Men wear HATS!

While fishing, fingerless gloves and Buffs for the face and ears. I wish we had known about gloves when I was young: the tops of my hands would have helped.

Oh, and there is an interesting variation down here of bald or going bald guys: wearing SUNGLASSES ON TOP OF HEAD! Blocks sun from a tiny area: even at night. But you really can't fool us old dudes : you are really wearing them to hide your egghead or your hairlessness!

Bird Lives and BamaT like this.