Central Texas Shave Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Paul Turner, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I came across this company while getting the latest news from West Coast Shaving. Has anyone heard of (or used soaps from)this company?

brit and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  2. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

I also stumbled past them... The Bourbon Pumpkin looks interesting for fall, but unfortunately not available in the samples list... Reading into the description, the maker has eczema and sought to make soaps that would be friendly for sensitive skin.

~Watching to see what everyone else says...

SHAVEWIZARD420 and Paul Turner like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Well, hopefully not so sensitive as to burn me as did the Tobacco&Leather(well, actually, I don't know which burned me more, the aftershave or the Tobacco Lounge soap I used with it(from Local Gent). I like two of them-I'll open with Grandpa's Barbershop. Stoylin's Barbershop has been comfortable for me-no burn.

Yehuda D and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  4. Weasel640

I'd be more suspect about the Local Gent stuff. I've seen a few reviews on that one claiming int cause irritation...

Yehuda D likes this.
  5. Paul Turner

I think with LG, it depends which kind you buy. I had no issues with Fields&Streams. But with my next go of the LG Tobacco Lounge, I'll try a more "neutral" aftershave(of which many qualify). If I still get a burn, ..well, I may flip it.(The Tobacco Lounge).

6. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

It's got Shea butter and I don't get along with that stuff. Any soap that contains it that I've used causes irritation :(.

7. Paul Turner

Does CTS have its own website? It appears they have an "in" with WestCoastShaving

8. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Seems as though I recall seeing another post about them in the past.
    From what I can remember they seemed to work just as well as most everything else.

Paul Turner likes this.
  9. Paul Turner

Update-as we all know, I did(flip it).

10. Paul Turner

Another update-I went ahead and ordered the Grandpa's Barbershop soap.

11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

12. Weasel640

Now the only other place (they have a webpage now) I have seen them sold is at West Coast Shaving, as stated in the first post, here: https://www.westcoastshaving.com/collections/central-texas-soaps

They also have a Facebook page, here: https://www.facebook.com/centraltexassoaps/

That will lead you to their correct webpage: https://centraltexassoaps.com

They had an Etsy page where they had zero offerings... that they have since removed, here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CentralTexasSoaps

When you do a web search, Etsy is kinda stupid. In your browser's search result the link will look like an Etsy page E.G. "Central texas soap | Etsy." But when you click on it, it's just another search in Etsy for those terms as keywords, essentially returning a lot of erroneous results. If you follow the example above, that is not any particular vendors page, just every vendor in the Market Place they deem to match the terms. The ridiculous thing is that the actual Etsy page (now removed) you are looking for does not display (maybe it does, but buried in more than 10 pages and 369,000 results of the wrong junk).

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  13. Paul Turner

At the request of @ram57 , here is a review and opinion of my first try with CTS:

Very first impression was how soft and smooth it felt taking the loaded brush across my face and neck to set up the shave. I did 2 passes, but felt like one could have been enough(a comment I have made about many of my soaps, but I'm glad to add this one to that comment-in fact one of those other soaps , like CTS, also has Bentonite Clay). This soap is their Barbershop version, but I found it to be a bit of a different Barbershop scent than, say, that of Stoylin. It's nice.(Course Stoylin's is nice too, but in a different way). I figured I'd finish with Clubman Special Reserve, thinking it would be a good compliment to the "Texas-style soap". Looking in at the puck after the shave, it gave the appearance of having been used many times, not just the one time. Perhaps a statement to its lathering strength. The soap is 5 oz, and packed with enough space for air at the top. I'm pleased to have it.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  14. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

So, Grandpa's Barbershop is a heck of a lot better than Grandpa's Pine Tar? I kid, Pine Tar I use for initial scrub before applying preshave oil or balm. Thanks Paul.

Yehuda D and Paul Turner like this.
  15. Paul Turner

I wasn't comparing it to the Pine Tar, but someone here had some positive things to say about it(I think it was from a different company than Central Texas Soaps, though).

Yehuda D and ram57 like this.
  16. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

I was just pulling your leg Paul

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Yehuda D and Paul Turner like this.
  17. Paul Turner

I thought that's what you may have meant by "I kid". :). Interestingly, the Grandpa's Barbershop dried right back up by the end of yesterday, although I got great lather from it this morning. Let's see what it looks like tonight-hopefully less dry.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  18. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Picked up a sample of Mr. Pepper from WCS and it arrived the other day. Will have to lather it up soon and see how it goes. Of the 5 various samples i got, this one smelled the best. Very much like a glass of Dr. PEPPER.

19. Paul Turner

I have the Grandpa's Barbershop soap set to go for the beginning of next week. Right, that Dr. Pepper is popular among users(from the reviews I've seen, and now from YOU :).

20. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

The lather from it was quite nice, perhaps not elite status, but no slouch either. Will need a few more shaves to pass full judgement.

Frijolero and Paul Turner like this.