Need a little enabling help

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Zykris, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Looking at my budget for next month I have to come down to a choice of only product purchase. Need a little bit of help in making a decision. Here's what I'm down to.
    Semogue 1305 boar brush or a Bay Rum shave soap of some sorts (too many companies to look through but looking at Mens Shaving Company , Adiago or Mystic Waters version.)
    All right my fellow shavers. What should it be? I have three boar brushes. Omega 20106, dependable and huge. A Whippes Dog boar, sheds like two or three bristles everytime and it's getting annoying. And another Omega boar in a beech handle that's a tad bit scratchy after a long break in period.

RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  2. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Have you tried Kamperts Bay Rum? I know he is a member across the street and it is supposed to be top notch. Fuzzy @wchnu , used it in a video not too long ago.
    If you already have the brushes, I would say go with the soap, but then again, I always try to enable.... I mean "help" as much as possible

Shaver X and Zykris like this.
  3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Haven't tried Kramperts Bay Rum before. That would be a new one. Also kinda thinking could use a new boar with the way the other two are behaving. Tough call loo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Mike’s or Barrister & Mann
    Both are exquisite Bay Rum soaps.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Zykris likes this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Or an Omega 10049 Pro.

RyX and Zykris like this.
  6. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Do you have links for where these three are sold? Google doesn't seem to want to find vendors for them this morning. Also have you considered the PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum? In my opinion, hands down that is the best Bay Rum you'll find. They even have it available in a travel tube.

As far as your choose goes. Get a soap, and put the brush on you Christmas list that you give to friends/family...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Zykris likes this.
  7. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Amazon they can be found. Didnt think about PAA bay rum.

8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm a fan of Omega boar brushes. If you want to go big that 10048 or 10049 line is good stuff.

Let's add another to the list of options? The classic Barbers handle profile Pro #10098. Tall loft & fat knot, I enjoy the break in period for the scrubby fresh bristles that haven't dropped yet. They make great knot donors for other brushes, too.
    Omega Pro #10098 & B-400 OP98 knot.jpg

jtspartan, Screwtape and brit like this.
  10. Weasel640

You must be in a different region or something... When I search for any of these on Amazon "Mens Shaving Company , Adiago, or Mystic Waters" the closest that comes up is "Men’s Soap Company" but the other two do not even come up close.

With PAA, if you want just a standard, good Bay Rum, get the "Atomic Age Bay Rum". The guy that runs PAA, well he loves Bay Rum, so there are several different variants that are available. Even a Seasonal Pumpkin Bay Rum is available now...

Zykris likes this.
  11. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DP768RD/?tag=thshde-20 (Adiago)

https://www.mystic4men.com ( Thata my bad. Lol )

RyX and Screwtape like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

i have a semogue 830 that has treated me well so far..

Zykris likes this.
  13. Weasel640

14. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

You can tell I'm not good at spelling. Sorry.

15. Weasel640

It's OK. You can tel I'm not familiar with those.

Zykris likes this.
  16. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Lol not helping but that's what all of us are here for. Offering more options.

RyX and Enrico like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

give that new paa doppelganger soap a go..my next purchase when available up here..may knock all the high priced top shelf stuff out of the park..if it does that i won t need to try it all and i will save some $$$..you know the stuff mdc,expec,c and s, nuavia etc,,,

Zykris likes this.
  18. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

straightrazordesigns.com is up to 40% off with code SITEWIDE40
    They still have the 1305 in stock. $11.40 with the discount. You'll never get a better chance. They also have Meissner Tremonia natural bay rum soap for $12.60.

Or a mere $24 for both....

Zykris and brit like this.
  19. RandySP

RandySP Member

For the Meissner Tremonia I would go with the paste they have, it is really excellent. This has been reformulated and although it seems a little airy at the beginning, it gets better & better with loading and gives plenty of slickness and protection.

The post shave is top class. If you could find that Pots Of Milk or the Himalayan Heights. Just excellent choices.

Screwtape and Zykris like this.
  20. RandySP

RandySP Member

As for the brush I would say go for a Semogue. I have a 620 and once broken in, became an excellent badger feel brush. Powerful backbone, sucks soap like crazy!

Screwtape and Zykris like this.