All In the Family Theme Shave

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by ordinaryshaver, Oct 28, 2018.

1. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Mod team, I believe this is the correct area to post this in, if not please accept my apologies and move it to where it needs to go, thanks.

So, recently Fuzzy, @wchnu made a comment in one of his videos about having shaving gear from family members, and it sparked a conversation and an idea. What if those of us who enjoy doing videos, or posting for SOTD, made Sundays shave themed with things used from family members.

I used my grandpas ball end tech this morning, and after sticking with SE for a while, I need a bit of a refresher on using the DE. Still not a bad shave, but could have been better.
    I wish I had my great grandpa's shave mug, it belonged to my paternal great grand father. It is on display at my uncle's home and one day, I hope it comes to mine.
    I hope all yall have as much fun with this theme as I did. Cant wait to see the videos and photos from all the gear!

If yall want to watch my shave,here is the video. If photos are more your thing, just wait, I promise this will be worth it!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

It's a great idea, but sadly I can't participate, as I can only guess what my Dad liked, and never knew what my two grandfathers used.

3. ordinaryshaver

That is no problem, it doesnt have to be "Exactly" what they used, the idea is the spirit and the principle of the shave. I can only assume what blade, soap, brush my grandpa used, as it is all conjecture.
    It is an idea to have fun, and spotlight older items and family heirlooms that one may like and have a way to bring back the memory of the person.

4. Paul Turner

Actually, my dad's youngest brother is still alive-I might ask him if he remembers what his dad used. But I have to be careful asking my Uncle about this because he appears to be of two minds-there's a part of him that would enjoy the challenge of reflection, and another part that would say "What a silly question!!". Maybe my sister could help me with what our Dad liked&used.

RyX likes this.
  5. ordinaryshaver

As I previously said, this idea was just supposed to be fun. If it causes pain or bad memories for the party, then obviously we ask that you dont put yourself out.
    I hope many people jump on board this idea, as I think it has the potential to be a great "event" and one that will surely bring back memories for all those involved.
    If you want to participate thats great, if not, no biggie. I hope you have a super Sunday!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  6. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

My dad used a 1955 Gillette Flare Tip, Gillette Stainless Steel Blades, and Gillette Lemon/Lime Foamy SC. He finished with a splash of Old Spice, AV Frosted Lime, or British Stirling Lime AS. He taught me to shave in the late seventies with the Flare Tip. Mom tossed the Flare Tip in the garbage after dad died because she didn't want me to cut myself. She gave me dad's Trac-II to use. I now have a 1955 Gillette Red Tip that I use when I'm not using my Injectors, or single edge razors. The Redtip works great with a shimmed Spoiler.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Ursa, jtspartan, brit and 2 others like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Great idea for a themed shave. I enjoy several vintage products from razors, soaps & brushes, to aftershaves.

I know one of my grandfathers used a DE razor. My dad tells of him rubbing his blade on the ceramic sink surface to refresh the edges. My father used to enjoy a Krona DE with Wilkinson Sword blades. He switched to disposable Bic years ago and gave me the Schick. When he asked about trying out a DE a couple weeks ago I returned his razor to him with a fresh tuck of his favorite blades.

Ursa and Paul Turner like this.
  8. ordinaryshaver

Unfortunately I cannot take credit for this idea, it all belongs to @wchnu.
    I do remember the Gillette lemon/lime foam! Can still smell it today.

Ursa likes this.
  9. ordinaryshaver

Hey, that's awesome! Talk about coming full circle!
    What blades are his favorite?

Paul Turner and RyX like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

He told me he switched to throw away Bics when he couldn't find German Wilkies at the store. The ones I passed to him are made in India I think, along with a sampler of others. I gathered up some other gear for him to sample. Knowing how mild a Krona shaves (I prefer more aggressive) I had a couple I wouldn't miss. I sent a Weishi, a Flare Tip, The Knack, and a couple others.

Ursa, ordinaryshaver and Paul Turner like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Fun is a good thing-I'll see what I can find out. :).

RyX and ordinaryshaver like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Really enjoyed your video!

13. ordinaryshaver

Hey, thanks for watching! I have a bunch of other videsv up, and give them a watch if you want to.
    I had a great time with this shave, and the trip down memory lane. I'm glad @wchnu had the idea!

14. ordinaryshaver

Well, I suppose this idea was a bust. In hindsight, I should have started informing the masses of this theme a few days rather than a few hours. Well Que Sera, Sera!
    Perhaps in the future It will work out better.
    Thanks to all yall that did participate and those that supported.

Ursa and brit like this.
  15. Paul Turner

Well, I'm kinda hoping others join in. You just introduced the idea a couple days ago, right? I mean, @wchnu, but you followed up.

Ursa likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

i use vintage gillettes, mostly british techs and tto s. my grandfather was a gillette man although i am not sure what model he used..i would think a tech due to his ww2 involvement. my dad used electrics since the early seventies and doesn t remember before hand. either way ,i like them and maybe they will be passed along..

Ursa and jtspartan like this.
  17. ordinaryshaver

True, we shall see what happens.

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Ursa likes this.
  19. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Just stumbled on this thread, and think this themed shave could be a lot of fun...

The only keepsake I have of my maternal Grandfather--who died before I was born--is his Klenzo shave brush. Mom found it in Grandma's estate and passed it along to me.

My paternal Grandfather always used an Old Spice mug and soap, along with OS aftershave. Wouldn't be too hard to source the mug, aftershave, and some Old Spice-inspired soap to use along with my other Grandfather's shave brush and my Dad's favorite Dollar General triple-blade disposables for an All In The Family shave...

Paul Turner likes this.
  20. ordinaryshaver

Sounds great! Looking forward to hearing how it goes?

Paul Turner likes this.