PolSilver blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by urrlord, Oct 27, 2018.

1. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

Recently I ordered a sampler pack of blades as I was getting low on blades.Polsilver is a name I had seen favorably mentioned on the net .So they were the first I decided to open.My first use of these was really smooth and resulted in a very nice shave,no tugging or skipping,no irritation.I did have some light reddening along the neck.Which is a trouble area for me but the redness was just superficial as was evidenced by the application Clubman Whiskey Woods aftershave,no sting at all.:)

The second and third shaves so far have been good also.In fact the shave results from the third shave was almost bbs and 12 hours later still dfs looking.

I am impressed so far,just waiting for longevity results.

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Polsilvers are excellent blades, in my opinion. Glad to hear they work well for you.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

PolSilvers are one of my favorites. Try some Perma-sharp blades, also very good blades.

BigMark83, jwr3265 and wristwatchb like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

i am a gsb, nacet ,voskhod, astra sp user .all deliver nice smooth shaves for me with varying shaves per blade.is a polsilver, rapira or others any better ?.not bothered about cost per blade...

jwr3265 and Enrico like this.
  5. Lord Gillette

Lord Gillette Active Member

I've never used this polsilver before but there are at least two different packaging.

What is the difference?

Enrico likes this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm sure others will chime in, but I believe it's simply old and current product.

Polsilver_Super_Iridium_10x_Razor_Blades_-_1_RGSZW43KUXN4.jpg
    Current PolSilvers :eatdrink013:

7. GawainandtheGreenKnight

GawainandtheGreenKnight Well-Known Member

Two of my favorite blades as well. I also really enjoy Sputnik and Bic Astor.

brit and Enrico like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've gotten 18 shaves out of one blade. :)

brit, Primotenore and Zykris like this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am impressed. That's Personna 74 territory.
    I'll have to see how many I can get out of one.

Enrico likes this.
  10. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Just ordered 100. I like these, Nacets and 7O'clock Blacks

Enrico and Screwtape like this.
  11. Jarvis

Jarvis Active Member

This is one of my go to blade when using DE, the others being GSB, Wilkinson Sword and Personna. I get 12+ shaves from these blades but I have a light facial hair.

brit and Enrico like this.
  12. DanielB

DanielB Member

:shocked: That is absolutely the opposite of the overall picture I've gathered about Polsilvers over the years, reading numerous shaving forums; Polsilvers have a very good reputation for blade longevity. I did a search here and couldn't find much to point to regarding blade longevity/personal records but could post a ton of links to posts elsewhere however you only need to take a look at B&B's Excalibur Club thread (topic: blade longevity) to see that Polsilver Super Iridiums is a revered blade that many have got 100+ shaves out of, and for many others, it's the blade brand they report that's pushed them into uncharted territory (whether that's 15, 30 or 50, etc).

Personally, having used 28 blade brands to date, Poslilver SI holds my current max usage record at 71 shaves (all multipass, to BBS). I started using that blade about a year and a half ago after I'd been wet shaving for about 1.5 years, and as usual for me, rotated it through my various razors randomly and discarded it when cutting efficiency declined (last 2 shaves, BBS but took some extra touchups). My current overall average # of uses from any blade is under half of that number, and my high-use runner up is a Dorco ST301 at 60 uses, so yeah, in my experience the Polsilver actually stands out as a particularly durable blade.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    urrlord, ajc347 and Enrico like this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Ok, ok. I am glad that everyone is getting mega-usage out of their Polsilvers, I really am. Please forgive my ignorant post. I dump mine after 3-4 shaves and have been doing so for over 4 years.
    I will refrain from further posts in this thread. :scared003:

ajc347 and stuartganis like this.
  14. ajc347

ajc347 Well-Known Member

Your post isn’t ignorant at all mate and please don’t feel that you need to stop contributing.

I only use any blade for no more than 3-4 shaves (and less than that if I have a head shave) as that’s when they start to lose their efficiency in my experience and Polsilvers are not an exception to this.

I’ve got enough blades to last me the rest of my life and I can’t see the point of making a blade last beyond the time they start to feel uncomfortable for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I also like Polsilver blades...sharp and smooth. I change DE blades after three shaves most of the time. They are cheap, and I have plenty.

CliffDweller, Demidog and ajc347 like this.
  16. urrlord

I generally use a blade until I have visible stubble left after a shave or start getting irritation after a shave.Derby's last about a week,Astra Greens about 5 days with Rapira being at the top of the curve with more than a week.Dorco's ,Sharks and Assureds about 3 days at most.Some I have tossed on the opening shave.

When using a DE razor when I finish I blow off the blades and set it on its side to air dry.When I use a shavette I blow off the blade and wipe it off on a towel.

Right now I am on shave 5 with my initial polsilver and still getting almost bbs shaves although the blade feels a little less efficient than when I started using it.

17. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Pol-silvers are some of the best blades that I've ever used. I was soured towards them when the supplier that everyone used created a fiasco by saying that they were going out of production. I think this was years ago and it seems that they are still produced, so it looked like a ploy to jack up prices. Nevertheless, I think that site still has the lowest price on those blades.

They definitely deserve recognition for the widespread praise that they have gotten. Fresh Pol-silvers, Feather blades, and Kai blades are incredibly enjoyable for me, silky smooth.

lightcs1776 and wristwatchb like this.
  18. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

This X 10!

Enrico likes this.
  19. urrlord

I made it to 10 shaves beforn it left stubble that was that was long enough to be felt along the jawline/neck after the shave.I could probably get a few more SAS shaves.However I have been enjoying the almost BBS shaves I have been getting ,so I decided to move on to another blade from the sampler pack.

Enrico and DanielB like this.
  20. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

Great blades. I have almost exclusively used Voskhod's for the last year or so as it is really in my sweet-spot, but I love Polsilvers probably 2nd best next to Voskhod's. They are super-sharp and as I was starting out DE-shaving I used to get redness and/or spots, but as I gained experience I really got Polsilvers to hum, super-super close shave and I feel like a million bucks after using. Heck, I'm gonna have to dig out a package and give 'em a go again!

brit likes this.