First impressions from my first straight razor shave...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Mr Two Bits, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Mr Two Bits

Mr Two Bits Well-Known Member

1) I love the feeling of shaving the way it was intended to be...

2) Just because the seller (who is a good seller, btw) says it’s honed and “shave ready” doesn’t mean it’s really shave ready... gotta get my strop game squared away.

3) I escaped without leaving half my face in the sink. As a matter of fact I emerged nick free. Granted, I only went wtg and only one pass (no chasing the baby today...) but first things first.

All in all, I think I’m hooked. This is definitely a learned skill, but it’s not nearly as intimidating as I once thought it to be.

Paul76, Arnout, jason koonce and 8 others like this.
  2. Jarvis

Jarvis Active Member

Congratulations on your first SR shave and your insight. SR shaving is a lot of fun and and it only gets better the more you shave.

3. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Welcome to the dark side!

RyX, Edison Carter and Mr Two Bits like this.
  4. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Welcome to the best shaving experience you will ever have... in the future.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Edison Carter and Mr Two Bits like this.
  5. Mr Two Bits

Ha! I was thinking the same thing... once I get the hang of this, I’ll never want to shave any other way.

Edison Carter likes this.
  6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I believe that I’ve used a safety razor twice since I’ve gone str8:).
    Figure on 100 shaves before it becomes “natural”.

7. Mr Two Bits

That’s good to know. I wondered how long it might take. Something else I noticed is that the Astrale seemed kind of “grabby”. Is that an indication that I need to strop what was billed as a “shave ready” razor or do I need to tinker with my angle of attack? I figured that since I managed not to hack my face up that my AoA was good but I don’t have enough experience yet to make that judgment.

RyX, Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  8. Briscoe

100 is the number, always a hiccup when right when you think you have it down. After 100, you will be looking for the next best razor.

Keithmax likes this.
  9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I don’t know if SRD does any honing prior to sending out. I would guess that you may want to try a shallower angle next time. The rule of thumb is two blade widths. Perhaps a little less when. It also helps to stretch your skin. The fella that sold you your razor has a great tutorial
    After some shaves; you’ll find your own “groove “

RyX, Mr Two Bits, brit and 2 others like this.
  10. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Congrats!

I've been converted since July. I got a lot of great help from the great folks here, especially in the 30 day threads. @Keithmax offered up a really great set of pointers, maybe he'll drop a note in here too.

Have fun!

RyX, Mr Two Bits and Keithmax like this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Welcome to the Dark Side as we call it.

If the razor feels grabby it likely needs to be honed. Even a good honer will miss one once in a while or it may have been damaged during your shave or when stropping. It is easy to 'roll' and edge while learning to strop. Hopefully, it was just your angle but it is impossible to learn with a bad edge. You could send it back to the vendor to be honed again or you can try Glen (@gssixgun) a member on this site or Whipped Dog. If you go the Whipped Dog route pick up a 'sight unseen' razor too, ugly but with a good edge. Then you will have two in case one of the edges gets messed up.

Here are some recommendations I give to new Dark Side members:

If it is possible that your significant other, child, pet or an alien might burst into your den and interrupt your shave then put down the straight, step back and pick a DE to finish the shave.

If you are in a hurry or are pressed for time, then put down the straight, step back and pick a DE to finish the shave.

If the edge does not feel sharp and feels tuggy then put down the straight, step back and pick a DE to finish the shave.

If you are tired or hungover or if you are drunk then put down the straight, step back and pick a DE to finish the shave.

If something just does not feel right then put down the straight, step back and pick a DE to finish the shave.

You will usually get a warning if the edge is going to 'bite', if it feels like it is biting or cutting, stop, back up and start over again.... because it is cutting you.

I agree with the 100 shaves to consistency. Your improvements will come in sudden jumps, be patient it will come.

There are a lot of people who can shave with one hand, I am not one of them. My wrist is not double jointed and I could not get the proper angle so I went to using both hands. If I can do it so can you. I used an empty shavette to practice with my off hand and build muscle memory, you will pick it up faster than you think. I started with just my cheeks and then finished with a DE. I slowly went farther and farther with the SR and after about a month I could drop the DE completely.

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

You always need to strop your razor before you shave. It is important to lie it flat and not use any pressure resist the temptation to give it pressure on the edge so it is in contact with the leather, this will roll the edge.

I forgot to say that once you get the hang of shaving with a SR it is addictive and a great feeling of accomplishment.

Paul76, RyX, Spyder and 1 other person like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

i will try this in the future.. congrats..

14. Mr Two Bits

Thanks for the reply, and for the great advice! I left well enough alone last night but I’ll be going with the DE (a 1966 Gillette SS... my birth year) tonight. My plan is to ease into the SR pool and try to do it in a way that minimizes the chances of negative experiences. Lynn’s video (posted above) was actually the one that convinced me to go ahead and do this thing in the first place! I also am a confirmed lefty but am starting from the get go using both hands. I just believe that if Inlearn the correct technique going in it’ll save me the trouble of having to “unlearn” bad technique...

Linuxguile, Keithmax and RyX like this.
  15. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Around the time I stopped using other tools to finish shaves I started with a straight, I found my touch and feel had exponentially improved with the other stuff. It was a pleasant benefit.

16. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Huh. I like shaving after a good stiff drink...;)

17. Pete123

Pete123 Well-Known Member

half your face not in the sink? Jugular in tact? Heck, you're well past the hard part. haha

18. Briscoe

I happen to head shave, that is another animal itself. I waited a month until I tried my straight razor, and found 7/8 to 8/8 to work best for me. The journey is well worth the learning curve.

19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Very nice. You're a braver man that I am.

Herm

20. Mr Two Bits

You’re probably just smarter than I am!! I’ve never been renown for my keen intellect, nor my aversion to doing things I probably shouldn’t...