November 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Oct 31, 2018.

?

So what is your "NO" plan for this NOVember?

1. No Variation. Gonna RULE like a BOSS!!

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. No Repeat. Gonna run through gear like it's my last month to ever shave!

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  3. No Plan. Gonna wing it big time. Just do what seems right!

22 vote(s)
    57.9%
  4. No shaves for me. Gonna be heretical and follow the rest of the world.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No clue. Seriously. I don't know, and won't know until it happens.

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  6. I'm just excited to have Donuts!!!!! Yummmmmmmmmmm!!!!

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  7. I'm just going to say NO to anything you ask. NO! NO, I say!

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great shave and picture, Clint.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Well-written as always. Bring on the duffnuts!!!! :)

3. Paul Turner

AAAAAND, they're off! I'm not going to give you a hint as to my survey choice, but I'll just say it appears my horse was SHOVED out of the gate.(Ooops, I guess I just gave you a hint as to my survey choice!!).

Drygulch, wristwatchb, RyX and 6 others like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Wow, I can't remember how young I was when I was "forced" to don a bowtie.(Course my dad presumably helped with the "donning").

5. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Thursday morning November 1 - No Variation already on the rocks...

It's all Jim @Norcalnewb 's fault. I had my No Variation planned and declared: Gillette Fatboy loaded with new-to-me Shark Super Stainless blade, Fendrihan Lavender Sandalwood soap sample lathered by Jason/Maggards two-band badger brush in The Dry Dock shave bowl, Thayers Witch Hazel Original Astringent and/or Hendrix Classics Barbershop balm test sample. Then I saw the beautiful photo Jim posted of his gorgeous English Aristocrat, and that reminded me that I found an American Aristocrat among my cased razors last month. It's an early one with the non-notched centre bar. I didn't use it during OCtober, because it has a bar guard, but now that I was reminded of it, I had to take it for a spin.

With a new razor, I couldn't use a new brand of blade, so I loaded a reliable Nacet. Several people have been using Palmolive stick lately, so mine came out. That foreclosed bowl lathering, so for face lathering I went with a synthetic instead of the badger, and chose Jason's other brush, my 30DC LE with the Cashmere knot. Since everything else in The Plan had gone south, I decided to switch the aftershave too, to try my new scent of TSD Milk Aftershave -- Vanilla.

So, this is what my No Variation shave with the Gillette Fatboy et al finally looked like:
    IMG_20181101_065542_kindlephoto-684347474.jpg

It was a wonderful shave though. The Aristocrat/Nacet combo was as smooth as silk and the Palmolive provided a great glide surface for it. Two passes to a near BBS with absolutely no complaints from the alum. The aftershave provided an excellent finish with a great smell.

Tomorrow I will start the No Variation... Or maybe I should just give up now and go with a No Repeat or the even more chaotic No Plan... Or maybe I should do the No Variation after all but with this setup. Opinions?

brit, Drygulch, FaceScraper and 15 others like this.
  6. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

NOvember 1st
    Supply Injector w Vintage PAL (1)
    Stirling Bay Rum SS
    Finest Fan / Maple
    Thayers
    Jeeves Tobacco & Bay AS
    32C5F685-CBDF-493B-A4F3-AEDED577A841.jpeg
    First day of my mini-focus on the borrowed Injector and first day of No Repeat November on software. This Supply razor comes with 3 base plates, one ‘dot’, two ‘dot’ and three ‘dot’. I used the two dot base plate to start. I assume it is in the middle for aggression.
    Loaded up the usual Stirling lather and had 2 good passes. First thoughts on the razor? 1) Really heavy if you are like me and just used to Schick E or later injectors. The weight makes for a very stable, smooth feeling shaver. 2) The angle isn’t as automatic as E or later Schicks. I’m sure I’ll have it dialed in soon. 3) After one day? I wouldn’t call it an aggressive or efficient shaver. Irritation-free, smooth shave. I’ll use this baseplate for a few days and switch to the 3 dot (the more aggressive one? Help, @Screwtape ).
    Have a great day all!

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Gents.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, jluc and 2 others like this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Love the report John. The Aristocrat looks fantastic. I vote for No Plan.

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great shave and photo Jason. The Supply Co is just a cool looking razor.

10. Paul Turner

I was about to ask you about the burn factor, if any, from the Tobacclo&Bay but I see now apparently there was none.

Drygulch, jtspartan, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  11. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Great photo and shave, Jason! I also tried the Supply injector that @PickledNorthern let me borrow for a while. I never made it to the three dot plate. I stuck with one and two dots. The angle is much, much different than the Schick injectors. I had to use short strokes and had trouble with the angle on my neck. Never got the hang of the Supply. It is a beautiful razor and I enjoyed the weight. Good luck! Look forward to seeing how your shaves progress.

12. Screwtape

Yep. The Two-dot plate is the standard one shipped with the basic razor. If you order the full set, you get the One-dot plate for "sensitive" or "light" shaving and the Three-dot for a bit more aggressiveness. The angle of use is similar to the PAL razors it's based on rather than the Schicks. And even the Three-dot plate probably won't seem as aggressive as your PAL Injectomatic.

13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Looks like we need to do some more enabling!
    Beautiful razor Keith!
    Fantastic shot, Jim! The polished Dart really is a stunner!
    Great setup Perry!
    Beautiful #66, Jim!
    Very cool Perry! Im glad you had a great night!!
    Beautiful SS, Charlie!
    Excellent setut, Clint! Love that Tres Amigos Beehive!

14. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thanks, Andrew!

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  15. Screwtape

Thanks, Clint. I picked No Variation at first for the laziness factor of deciding once for the month, but No Plan appeals too since it involves no real decisions at all and just a daily random grab...

Liked your photo today as usual, btw.

16. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great reports and photos, gentlemen!

17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Beautiful 'Crat John! I never though you to be the lazy type and I am enjoying seeing all the different gear that your pulling out so my vote is for No Repeat November!
    Great shot, Jason! I'm sure you will get the hang of the Supply!

18. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Andrew!

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  19. Screwtape

Thanks, gentlemen. And so far, Andrew, the vote has been for me to continue as a No Repeat or No Plan rather than sticking with one setup.

20. Paul Turner

Someone votes for you by Proxy? :cool:

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, PLAla and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.