Allergic reaction from tallow based soaps?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Z-2, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Z-2

Z-2 Well-Known Member

Hello friends,

today I used for first time Tweex shave stick. It is similar like Arko, with somehow strongest and industrial smell.
    I have psoriasis, and realized, that my skin got red and itchy when I applied the lather. Same thing when I other tallow based soaps, but not sure from all or particular ones.
    Is possible to have allergic reaction? My skin get better after few hours, but still there is some redness

I read linalool and parfum can be a issue.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Yehuda D, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

It's always possible to have a negative reaction to one or more ingredients. Test the soap on another part of your body. The inside of your elbow or wrist is a good location. Apply the product and leave it on for the same time as your shave would take. You will know if you are sensitive.

Perfumes often contain Essential Oils - concentrated plant extracts. I see little information about lanolool, not even a description of what it is though it is listed as an ingredient in several products.

There are a couple companies now making soaps with tallow from different sources. The most common is beef, but you may also see buffalo, duck, and sheep.

Pete123, Frijolero and Terry like this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Might try a fragrance free soap.
    I know Stirling has one.
    Might help in the search for the problem.
    Good luck!

Pete123, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  4. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I've heard that tallow soaps can aggravate acne, but I don't recall hearing of allergy or sensitivity issues with it. Fragrances on the other hand are notorious for triggering sensitivities.

I was able to track down a list of ingredients here. The second half is pretty much all the usual suspects. It's why the EU requirs them to be listed separately instead of just "fragrance."

I would second the suggestion to try a fragrance-free soap.

RyX likes this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Ahh, so lanolool is an alternate spelling for linalool. I don't preach "All Natural Ingredients" because many things in nature can cause irritation without being classified as unnatural. Just because something is made of chemicals (isn't everything?) doesn't make it bad or to be avoided. While linalool, according to Wikipedia is used in 60-80% of perfumed hygiene products, in 7% of people tested "oral intake or skin absorption, potentially causing irritation, pain and allergic reactions".

Pete123, Frijolero and Terry like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm not say this is the case, but my son and I have found that we are allergic to EDTA (used as a preservative). It's listed under 4 or 5 alternative names, but it's the by product of formaldehyde. :sick007:

Spyder, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  7. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

Good news is that there are some high quality non tallow soaps out there.

In partial to SV & Hasslinger

Frijolero, RyX and Terry like this.
  8. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Yup. Poison oak is all natural. Don't want it in my soap, thanks.

Sara-s, brit, Terry and 1 other person like this.
  9. Z-2

Z-2 Well-Known Member

Ok, today I`ve tried Karo Fresh, which is very popular here. It contains menthol and perfume.
    Shaving was good, without any reactions like itchy and redness. I believe there is something in soaps, which is bad for my skin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul Turner, Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

In most cases the difference between soap and cream is that the cream has enough water in it to make it a liquid consistency where the soap has most of the water removed making it solid. In the ingredient list of your cream Potassium Hydroxide (lye) is listed. So the cream is still a soap, just a liquid one. Perhaps the reaction you are having is to the concentration of soap. Maybe bowl lathering would allow you to incorporate enough water into the soap before you apply it to your face and prevent a reaction with a more concentrated version of the soap.

11. Pete123

Pete123 Well-Known Member

The folks I know that are in the soap business always suspect the scent first when there is an issue. That doesn't mean someone can't be allergic to other ingredients, though the most common thing is the scent.

Two of the ingredients from your label catch my attention. The Lemon Oil and the menthol, and they have scent listed on top of those two.

RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  12. Z-2

Z-2 Well-Known Member

Thank you ! Actually I use stick directly on my face, with rubbing. I am thinking to load the brush on stick, instead that. Maybe the concentration can be a issue.

RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  13. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

And I can't use anything with Menthol or Shea Butter.

14. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have tallow issues too. My skin is already acne-prone and my immune system is pretty aggressive on my skin. I get swelling or redness with even slight skin irritation and tallow gives me breakouts and red spots. Except.....the ancient 30-40 year old Old Spice soap. Maybe 'age' plays a role in that? All other tallow soaps give reactions of various kinds. Sometimes I can luck out and not get a reaction, or a very minor one. There are tons of vegetal-based soaps out there which have great quality, so I'm not missing out.

RyX and brit like this.
  15. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

Just posted a thread about Haslinger non tallow, something in it burned my face on first use. Might be the parfums used to scent the soap but not really sure. Some soaps just don't agree with some folks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  16. Z-2

Z-2 Well-Known Member

Recently I used Palomolive (both stick and cream) and haven`t noticed any allergic reaction from them ;)

Yehuda D, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  17. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I don"t have sensitive skin but I can't use some soaps. Arko would be one and MdC another kinda on the opposite side of the spectrum from each other. I think it's probably normal to find some soaps and creams that won't work for you.

Z-2 and Linuxguile like this.
  18. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Stick with the simple ingredient list and no fragrance. Perhaps it's tallow that bothers your skin, perhaps it's something else. Trial and error with careful note-taking.

Paul Turner and Z-2 like this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I doubt it is the tallow everyone is allergic to. Tallow is just animal fat. Usually it is derived from suet. Some soaps are also lard based. The main difference being lard is pig based and suet is lamb or cow. If you really are allergic to tallow you should also be allergic to fried foods.

Try pH testing your soaps. If they are too basic they will burn the skin even if the heating is imperceptible. It is easy to mistake it for an allergy.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    BigMark83 and Frijolero like this.
  20. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I just picked up some more Coate's shaving cream and tried a tube of Tea Tree (oil) scented for the first time yesterday. It just lit me up. Coate's is a good shaving cream for me, never had any issues with it before. The shave was great, very smooth with almost zero AS burn. Toward the end of the shave I was getting tingling on my face and an hour post shave my face felt like it was on fire. I know this is a soap thread but thought I'd just put this in here. Honestly, this is the worst reaction I've ever had to a soap or cream and I guess the whole point is that it's not really the cream but the tea tree scent that doesn't agree with me. Just not my cup of tea:angelic007:.