Help Wanted: In Search of my first Badger Knot

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by mousecop, Nov 4, 2018.

1. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

Hi everyone,

As the title says, I am in search for my first badger knot (handle will be a custom) and would like some recommendations. I primarily have only used synthetics and 1 horse hair brush up to this point and have avoided badger due to my own personal ethical views. So I really have no insight on to what badger hair might be best for myself but I have decided to pursue my first and only badger brush that will be in my rotation just out of curiosity. Figured if I don't like it I can sell it or gift it to my father.

I strictly face lather. I prefer medium/large knot sizes, 24-26mm is usually a sweet spot for me. I am interested in something with extremely soft tips but medium soft backbone. I don't mind a little scrub but would like to avoid any "scritch." I would prefer fan shape as I have heard bulbs typically are ever so slightly stiffer. Based on all of this and my own research I have come up with a few knots I think I would be interested in and would like to know if any of you have any of these and what your opinions are. And as far as price goes, I am looking at sub$60 or the $30-$60 range (the cheaper the better :p).

Maggard's 26 or 28mm 2 band (apparently comparable to Elite Razor's white Manchurian according to "Ruds Shaves" review on youtube)
    Elite Razor's White Manchurian
    Elite Razor's High Mountain White
    Whipped Dog Silvertip

Thanks for the help!

Mike

RyX likes this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I think you will find an acceptable knot at The Golden Nib, probably a knot in best or finest badger.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  3. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I own all of the above knots. Based on what you describe you want, the Whipped Dog HMW (not on your list) would be my recommendation.

Also FYI, if you don’t want backbone, then I’m not sure why you’d choose two band, as they are known to have superior backbone to other badger hair. To me, hair type has much more to do with that than knot shape, FWIW.

Herm2502 and Douglas Carey like this.
  4. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

Yes, I knew this haha. From what I've heard the Elite HMW is 3 band. How do you like the Maggard knot? The price is very attractive tbh. And thanks I will take a look at the WD HMW!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I am not big on names and is this better than that. I know 2 things about badger knots.
    1. There really does not seem to be an industry standard on what is considered a "best"badger , "pure" badger, etc.
    What one company says is the "best" knot, may only be anothers "pure" . Without industry agreed upon standard there is too much variety for me to want to spend the money on any one brand.
    2. I have 2 extremely cheap badger brushes. Both cost less than 10 bucks off of Amazon. I guarantee you that if you were to put them in a head to hear challenge with a more expensive badger, the load and distribution of lather would be the same.
    You don't have to spend the kind of money that some companies want for their brushes to get good use out of a brush.
    Good luck in your search, but remember this, technique trumps tools, all the time.

6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I have an Omega 63171 Stripey 100% Pure Badger that I like and did not break the bank at $32. The boar brushes are to stiff for my liking and the horse hair is to limp.
    I have a synthetic that is about the same as the Omega but smaller. It cost 12 dollars and some change. Not sure if I want to put out the $$ when I got what I like. Might you try an inexpensive knot from a common company and see how it feels. Then let your BAD lead the way ;).
    Good luck
    Shave well

tp

7. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I got the maggard new in an everready brush that was restored. It’s a decent badger brush and a good value, but I definitely prefer the others you mentioned.

8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I would listen to Randy. Whipped Dog has some good knots. I got a Badger Flat Top from The Golden Nib that would probably suite your specifications.

Terry likes this.
  9. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I have a Golden Nib Silvertip and feel you can go better. I think you should look into Envy Shave's Luxury Silvertip. Super soft tips, nice backbone and comes in the size and shape you are looking for. My Envy Shave is my favorite bush out of all 12 in my rotation. Look into them and search the different forums to see what people have to say about them. At least it offers you another option that you have not considered.

10. discerningbev

discerningbev Member

This is an easy one. Send your handle to Declaration Grooming for a hand tied knot. The best knots in the business.

11. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

I will definitely look into envy shave! Thanks

12. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

I would but it is out of my price range. I am looking into knots in the $30-$60 range. But thanks!

13. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

Sounds to me you would benefit from Javier El Druida’s 2 band Manchurian Badger he goes all the way up to 30mm which is what I have but the know specifications sounds to about his standards. I have one I absolutely adore and I like scritch and back bone but this one is absolutely perfect. If you don’t already have a handle I would suggest reaching out first[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit, PatrickA51 and Douglas Carey like this.
  14. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

You can not go wrong if you contact Larry at Whipped Dog. I own several of his brushes and like them.

Douglas Carey and BaylorGator like this.
  15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

He does make beautiful brushes.

CastleShave likes this.
  16. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

I’ve also heard of many buying the Maseto 2 band and smashing the handle just to take out the knot! Those knots are amazing but I don’t know if they pass your specifications though. You may also benefit from 3 band silvertips but I have come across ones I don’t enjoy at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

And in reading your first post it sounds as though you haven't tried a boar knot yet. Boar knots are inexpensive and have some great properties that badger and synthetic lack. For instance, in my opinion they load hard soaps better than any other brush. I have several Omega brushes with my favorite being the Connaught Omega faux jade handle. It's a little pricey compared to other boar brushes but the handle is superior as is the knot. It was super soft right out of the box. Just remember that using a boar is different in that you have to soak it a bit before each use. I let mine soak for a couple of minutes, shake it twice and then load it up. Let us know how you make out with your badger search and if you decide to also check out some boar knots.

18. brit

brit in a box

the only custom badger brush i have so far is is a jayaruh brush with a maggards 2 band . very nice knot imo, my others are simpson best badger, which is nice also.all have good backbone..

19. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

I went ahead and ordered a 28mm Maggard 2 Band after watching a review from Ruds Shaves on youtube and will set it in a Whipped Dog handle. If the knot lives up to the reviews, for $38 including shipping I do not think the value can be beat.

brit and Douglas Carey like this.
  20. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

Hey one question. What size is your knot and how deep did you set it?

brit likes this.