Bought my first badger knot, need help with loft...

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by mousecop, Nov 5, 2018.

1. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

So this is an update to yesterday's thread that I posted.

I went ahead and ordered myself a 28mm Maggard's 2 Band. The loft from the base of the plug is listed as 70mm. I went ahead and contacted Brad at Maggard's and asked him how deep the knot should be set. He said between 14-16mm deep and the bur hole should be 1-2mm larger than the knot size (i.e., 29-30 mm hole would be suitable for the 28mm knot). I found a handle I like on Shave Forge where the bur hole is 29mm and is 13mm deep. My question to you, is 13mm to shallow for this knot?

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

That's close on the opening diameter, but I have used those knots before and they don't have a large glue bump. As for the loft, I like them at around 53mm-55mm, close to what Brad mentioned, depth between 17mm-15mm.

Douglas Carey, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Assuming I did the math right 70mm loft minus 13mm deep handle bore equals 57mm free loft. Divide that by 2 equals 28.5mm which is real close to the diameter and the magic formula of twice the diameter for the loft. That ought to give a middle of the road badger feel. Not too stiff, nor too floppy.

The problem is all these are "feelings" because there's no scientific measurements for how a brush feels.

dmshaver, Douglas Carey, brit and 2 others like this.
  4. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

Just an update. I had planned on buying a handle from Whipped Dog but Larry does not carry handles with 28mm holes and the 30mm was too big. So I found this beauty on shave forge for a staggering price of $13 shipped. As assured by the owner, the handles are hand poured acrylic turned by machine and I think it looks great. Now just waiting for the both the knot and handle to arrive. I will post another update with the completed brush![​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, dmshaver and RyX like this.
  5. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Great looking handle! Can't wait to see the finished product.

mousecop likes this.
  6. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

That's an awesome looking handle. As for setting your knot in the handle, the mathematics will only take you so far. The best thing you can do is use a little silicone and temporarily set the knot at a loft you think works. Then use it. Adjust the height with slices of cork until you get it where you want. Then set it with epoxy. You won't know how any given knot will perform at any depth without actually trying it and using it to see how it splays and how much backbone you prefer. But once you figure all that out you will have one gorgeous brush with that handle and that knot.

mousecop and Frijolero like this.
  7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

With badger knots, I always start at 2 times the diameter of the knot where it exits the hole in the handle. Like @MntnMan62 said, use silicon that way you can always change the loft. In fact I only set knots with silicon now. It is just easier to use.

8. boingo

boingo Member

Is the knot a bulb or fan? That can make a difference to the loft setting.

9. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

Hello all. Here is the final product. The handle is beautiful. Not sure if I glued the knot in straight/correctly though. So please lmk if you see any issues. The knot looks like it is leaning towards one side to me but that could also just be my perception of the bands in the hair. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

AlDm and Frijolero like this.