Finding the right combination

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Straight Arrow, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I've been DE wetshaving for about four months and have acquired a pretty large collection of razors and blades. I'm currently in the process of test driving my shaving gear. In short, my system is to use one brand of blade and shave for a week with each razor. When I get through all my razors I will start over again with a different kind of blade. I keep a daily journal with brief notes about the quality of each shave. Although I am having a blast experimenting with so many combinations, it just seems like it may take forever to find my best setup. Would any of you gents care to share how you have arrived at your favorite razor/blade combination? Maybe there are some shortcuts that I could use.

2. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Obviously I prefer Crystal blades and use them almost exclusively in all of my razors. My favorites being my TV SS and a Gillette slim adjustable. Each of us spends a great amout of time with various combinations of razors, blades, soaps, creams, brushes and then along comes a new thread to inspire us. Once you get settled in you'll probably narrow it down to 2-3 combinations of razors and blades and rotate them on a regular basis. The idea of keeping a log is a good one, I tend to forget and have to try something again. :D

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

You're doing the right thing. Razor and blade combinations work differently for each person. You'll quickly find that there will be a couple of blades you can leave alone. Those are the ones that skip across your face or rough you up bad consistently given all other things equal. The razors need angle and pressure adjustment changes so they are trickier.

4. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Great post, and that sounds like as good a "system" as any.

I may not be of much help, as my system went like this:

1) Buy as much shave soap as possible
    2) Buy as much shave cream as possible
    3) Buy all the razors in sight
    4) Acquire loads of every type of blade availalbe
    5) Try EVERY single aftersahve out there
    6) Repeat above 1 thru 5
    7) Use stuff at random

There has been/is no method to my madness, and I'm still buying shaving items like a drunken sailor (no offense Doc;)).

It has been a great deal of fun, and I'm not exactly sure how or when things started to fall into place, but rest assured that they do.....and I can tell you that you'll probably advance faster than I did with keeping a journal and the evidence of your intent to take a more scientific approach.

5. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

:rofl :::signs107 You da Man! My hero, my idol! :signs090 This is what I am talking about ADholic Anonymous is saving a seat for you right next to me. My system exactly, except trade out aftershave for ASB. The scientific approach may be the smart way and save a lot of time, money and effort but, we drunken sailors will be singing yo ho ho and a bottle of Bay Rum until we sink beneath our peaked waves of shave lather.

6. MaduroMan_wcp

MaduroMan_wcp New Member

I currently have 11 razors in my active rotation.....and 3 more injectors that I don't have blades for (yet)....

7. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Just get used to it:confused: I look on it as an investment and continuing work for my sons. I certainly will never find the answer to the perfect shave. There is always "something else" to try:D

8. Htownmmm

Htownmmm Member

I found my 'ultimate combo' as a result of the modified Trader Joe method- buy whatever I did not have that sounded interesting and then go with whatever combo has me faceturbating the most.

For me, that has proved to be the Slant/Feather with any soap,cream, or brush.

Marty

9. Will

Will Nevermind

Joe,

None taken - just send me the stuff you reject. :D

10. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

:rofl but of course!

11. Will

Will Nevermind

I forgot to say my best combo!

TO DATE it is

MB/TGQ/Conk/Tabac - soaps (have not found the undisputed winner yet)

Aqua Velva

Thayer's WH

Gillette Slim/injector (neck and neck

Feather blade

SR 3824

But I am still just buying stuff to try out (AHOY SHIPMATES!)

12. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Rich:

The only shortcut I can give you is
    there is NO shortcut.
    You must find your OWN way, grasshopper.
    Trial and error and a LOT of research got me to where I'm at today.
    Got my 3 razors and 3 brushes and a variety of soaps and creams that allow me to get whatever kind of shave I'm looking for.
    I will tell you it took several months b4 I was even close to a decent shave and I had thoughts of going back to the dark side (shower shaves every other day).
    My Key came when I saw a post at TOP about GRAIN PATTERNS and bottom of neck issues. MY NEMESIS !!
    Once I focused on my grain and how to properly reduce....everything clicked.