November 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Oct 31, 2018.

?

So what is your "NO" plan for this NOVember?

1. No Variation. Gonna RULE like a BOSS!!

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. No Repeat. Gonna run through gear like it's my last month to ever shave!

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  3. No Plan. Gonna wing it big time. Just do what seems right!

22 vote(s)
    57.9%
  4. No shaves for me. Gonna be heretical and follow the rest of the world.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No clue. Seriously. I don't know, and won't know until it happens.

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  6. I'm just excited to have Donuts!!!!! Yummmmmmmmmmm!!!!

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  7. I'm just going to say NO to anything you ask. NO! NO, I say!

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Point well made. It is true that the AOS model is to spend way too much for their soaps/oils/brushes etc. and then buy a fancy handle for a Fusion cartridge. And, in that vein, there are certainly those who use brush and soap/cream and shave perhaps even with a disposable. I know that happens because I did that for several years back in the '90s. I bought some Colgate shaving soap, a mug and brush set from Walmart back then and used that for several years until I moved and went back to the canned routine. So there is a larger market for the soaps than just those of us using traditional gear. One concern, though, is that I suspect most of the cart shavers using brushes and soaps are using what they find in the drugstores and Walmarts of the world rather than the artisan soaps, though I wouldn't be surprised to find some of them with a few "good" soaps in their homes.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with the small local soap makers either, if that's their goal. Not everyone can or even wants to be a major player. I'm sure some of them take great pride in what they are making and are fine with it being a limited market.

Linuxguile, Paul76, clint64 and 11 others like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'll back Charlie up on that. Having enough blades to shave into eternity and then some is simply being prepared for the worst. I mean, steel could suddenly disappear from the earth without warning, right? So, therefore, having a stockpile of already finished blades insures that, on the day when steel evaporates (which could be tomorrow - YIKES) those of us with the wisdom and foresight to put a lifetime or two of blades away for safekeeping will be seen as visionary.

3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I know that in many places on the Eastern half of the globed DE shaving is still the accepted norm. Gillette actually developed a single blade disposable/cart for India as a way of trying to lure them away from DE blades. Obviously their goal would be to capture a majority of the market with a single blade then start adding blades like they did here. At least that's what we suspect they'd do. Start cheap and move the price point up. It's a pattern they've utilized everywhere else they've tried it. The fact that they would make a special razor for that market tells you how many people there still use DE's. Enough that Gillette sees an entire untapped market. There is also anecdotal evidence that Russians still prefer DE as well, though more of them have gone to the more "western style" of carts.

4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Nobody short of millionaires could afford to stockpile cartridges.

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Nice to see you again Troy. Your name came up when I was looking back at the original 2015 thread the other day as I'm putting together a list of charter members.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

A new term that makes sense. To posses enough supplies to last beyond your hoped for life span. Sort of like Preppers filling a bomb shelter with dehydrated food and ammo.

The problem comes from assuming a one consumer to one razor correlation. I own two modern razors, and too many vintage. I've purchased a couple or three Omega brushes but I own ... a few more than that. That proposed spreadsheet would think I'm a couple new product users. There's a few others around that have a handful of modern razors. Back with I was using carts I'd stick with a handle and refills until they went obsolete. The more I consider the permutations I'm thinking this would require half a dozed graphs to break down the numbers.

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

NOVember is NO whatever you want it to be! Apparently.

November 9

Razor - Gem Clog Pruf
    Blade - Gem Stainless SE
    Soap - Proraso Red
    Brush - Stirling Two Banded Synthetic
    Post - Alum

A long Friday comes to a close. I did a full day on the GrubHub tour today in blowing snow, some broken clouds at times, brisk wind and the temps in the low 30s and dropping. Don't tell me I don't know how to have fun. Home to a homemade pork chop, sweet patotoes and a salad from my wife who knows how to warm my heart. And belly.

The shaving gods decreed single edge tonight with the Gem Clog Pruf. They added the Gem stainless blade, sans PTFE. Proraso red for the soap with the Stirling brush. Put them all together and what do you get? A decent enough sandalwood scented lather and a shave that, while DFS, left me a bit on the irritated side and the alum a bit warm. I'm not used to handling the Clog Pruf yet and that plain stainless blade could use some teflon to tame it a bit. But, for my lack of experience with the blade and razor, not too bad.

Catching up around here and love the conversation and shaves today. We've hit page 70 and it's the 9th of the month. Let's see. Divide the total number of posts needed to break last year's total by the days of the month, then the days of the month by the number of posts already posted, carry the 3, multiply by the co-variant of the fractional equivalent of Pi and......we'll give away that Stirling gift card on a day yet to be determined. Yep. Nothing like doing math to come to a definitive conclusion.

Have a great Saturday!

November 9 2018.jpg

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

NOVember No Repeats, yet.

RazoRock Lime Burst SS
    Semogue 1305 boar brush
    Osaka Suribachi bowl
    MÜHLE R89 Grande, Kai blade
    Pinaud Lime Sec EdC/AS
    SOTD 11092018.gif A few TSD Members contributed to this shave. Trades brought to me the soap from Nirav @Spock, bowl from the other side of the world via Jack @Sparrow, and the razor from Tom @twhite. The brush is a prize The Shaveys from Randy @BaylorGator. I'm really pleased with the soap. It's a hard puck so it's low moisture content upfront and ought to give lots of uses. The scent is great and I've got the lather dialed in either face or bowl wise. It was great using it this first time in a bowl and the boar brush serves well. Though it was already broken in when I got it, from my reading Semogue brushes start off softer than many others. I've had the long handled 3pc in my ready rack for months. considered listing it in BST, but wanted one more shave. Loading with a stiff Japanese blade and keeping in mind it's got a smaller sweet spot, it does give an effective reduction. The reduced blade exposure might make it on lists for Newbies. The weight begs for less pressure. So with a great lather, sharp blade, and modern blade holder styling my 3+ passes yielded pretty much the same results as an aggressive DE shave. This TTT levels the field and I'm OK with that. The Pinaud goes well with the soap, though it doesn't have the long lasting lotion face feel of Clubman. With cool weather headed to the South Coast I'll have Special Reserve out of the cabinet soon.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nonononononono

Linuxguile, PLAla, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  10. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thanks. I have a video as well. He had a blast

Thank you!

You would be the last one to use it

Thanks. I’m pretty proud of this kid.

I like it too.

Thank you!

We are wrapped. Thank you.

He does like to smile. Thanks.

Linuxguile, RyX, PLAla and 8 others like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You need golf.

Linuxguile, RyX, PLAla and 7 others like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Psst.... Our friend in Belarus can get great deals on slightly warm shipping containers of high quality, albeit counterfeit, carts.

Linuxguile, RyX, PLAla and 9 others like this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

He is having entirely to much fun.... I am jealous.

You skills have a long way quickly. Well done!

Linuxguile, PLAla, mrchick and 6 others like this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Saturday Shave still on No repeat vember. I have a flight to Cebu tonight, going to hang out with my woman for a few days. She is avoiding Seoul due to all the micro dust plaguing us these days. I need to suitcases, mostly filled with Korean food. You can take the woman out of Korea but you can't take the Korean out of the woman. I need an epic shave and nailed it today.

Irritation A+ Closeness A+ Smoothness A+ Sharpness A+

Razor: Brian Brown 7/8 half hollow
    Strop: Herold Russian leather
    Brush: Simpson Polo 8
    Pre: Nivea
    Soap: Crowne and Crane veggie
    AS: Lucky Tiger AS
    Scent: Guerlain Habit Rouge
    ID - 1.jpg

Linuxguile, RyX, Primotenore and 12 others like this.
  15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

So genuine counterfeit carts? Only slightly warm? A bargain at any price.

Linuxguile, RyX, Bama Samurai and 9 others like this.
  16. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Have a fun trip, Keith!

PLAla, clint64, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

i agree. ..there is a reason wilkinson is selling a new de safety in europe..

RyX, PLAla, clint64 and 7 others like this.
  18. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

A lot of posts to catch up on... Despite only being on here yesterday!

These Ranger Techs look fantastic! If I didn't find Techs to be a touch mild, I'd be all over one!

Nothing wrong with a Clog Pruf! I'm not actually sure that the GEM blades that @Screwtape sent me are PTFE coated or not - I simply assumed that the fact that they were Stainless made that a given. I was blissfully unaware of the existence of modern, non-coated Stainless GEM blades. I do love the Stainless GEM blades in my OCMM regardless!

Another great shave picture :)

That's a seriously cool looking razor! Very Jackson Pollock-esque!

RyX, Screwtape, NCoxSTL and 7 others like this.
  19. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I already have the outfit and the hairdo...just need several sets of clubs so that I can establish some kind of rotation.
    1.jpg
    Unlike shaving, I'm a cart guy when it comes to golf.
    1.jpg

brit, RyX, Bama Samurai and 11 others like this.
  20. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I was sad to see that the AOS store in our local mall just closed. I often wondered how they could have enough walk-in business to justify a storefront in a mall, but it hung around for a couple of years. It was always fun to check out their gear, but their prices were high. To me, it's a place where you'd go to shop for a someone's birthday or Christmas present. My family knows about my shaving hobby, and I received a tub of AOS Sandalwood cream that was purchased there. I'm sure that most traditional shavers eventually shop on-line for better selection and pricing. Once they do, it's hard to to miss the artisans and maybe even the discussion forums. Just Google or do a YouTube search for "shaving soap," and you'll see.

I've taken a chance on a couple of small artisan soap makers, but I haven't been too impressed. OTOH, I've found some wonderful artisan soaps through my forum participation here.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    brit, RyX, Screwtape and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.