Soap rotation

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Erik Redd, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I'm currently on a monthly soap rotation with 3 soaps, Tabac, MWF and DR Harris Arlington. I will probably change out the Arlington for Marlborough or Sandalwood when I finish it, but if I assume the puck will last for another 6 months of use that will be in a year and a half with a 3 soap rotation.

I've got a puck of Williams that a may give another try sometime in the future if I develop masochistic tendencies.

Do you have an established soap rotation, rotate at random or just stick with one soap?

oscar11, Shaver X, Redrock and 8 others like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have three or four soaps open at any time, and sometimes a sample puck as well. I just grab whichever one seems interesting at the moment.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Redrock, Jrdelgado, Erik Redd and 2 others like this.
  3. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I don't have an established rotation. I just grab one of my 44 creams or soaps and go to town. Sure, there are some that see more action than others. But it is purely based upon how much time I have that morning (cream in a rush, soap for more leisure) and what my mood is at that time of year. I tend to have certain scents that I prefer during the warmer months and others during the colder months. But one thing I always go for is variety.

BamaT, Redrock, jtspartan and 6 others like this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

New soaps/creams get moved to the top of the list. And then more-or-less randomly distributed into the rotation once deemed worthy (lol). Otherwise, I have everything lined up and stacked in my den. I just work my way through my options by moving to the "next in line" on Sunday mornings. Travel being the exception since I just take one soap with me when traveling.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    BamaT, brit, jtspartan and 5 others like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm going for a No Repeat November. Different setup for each shave. Easy for lather and post shave products. Some of the combos may be weird near the end of the month.
    :signs011:

brit, Redrock, urrlord and 6 others like this.
  6. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

No fixed rotation. Generally I just go with whatever whim grabs me at the monent.

BamaT, brit, Redrock and 5 others like this.
  7. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

As stated above, I tend to make a decision on what to use based on time.

I have taken a later shift at work lately, so I have more morning time.
    I tend to know what my day will be like the night before, so I tend to set everything up before I go to bed, that way I'm not having to fiddle around with choosing in the morning.

brit, Jrdelgado, RyX and 2 others like this.
  8. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I pick a soap and use it until its gone, then I pick another one. I certainly understand those who like to have a rotation for the sake of variety but I dont.

DesertTime, brit, Redrock and 7 others like this.
  9. richgem

Clearly, you're doing it wrong. :D

BamaT, brit, Nicked and 8 others like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That could be many months with the same soap.

BamaT, brit, Redrock and 2 others like this.
  11. richgem

See my post above. ;)

brit, Redrock and Jrdelgado like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Oh I wasn't criticizing, just an observation. :D

brit, Redrock, MntnMan62 and 2 others like this.
  13. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

I usually change soaps every shave sometimes, I use 2 different soaps in the same shave. That is, if I have plenty of time to shave.

brit, Redrock, MntnMan62 and 2 others like this.
  14. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

Most days-FrankenMix.........soap/cream

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Rotation implies multiple soaps, else @Badgerstate would just be replacing his same soap. His IS a rotation but it spins slower than others.

Just think of how well you'd know that particular brand when it was finished. The delayed gratification effect must be excruciating!

Are you talking preshave or shave soap?
    Sometimes I do that with Proraso Preshave soap. Their Green is mentholated (with eucalyptus) and lays down a layer of glycerin for added slickness. I'm thinking about getting the Red & White so I can use them with other soaps.
    I tried that, occasionally do it still. Adding Cremo or KMF cream to harder soap lathers can make both better.

16. brit

brit in a box

i use a different soap or cream every shave, it will be years before i run out..

17. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

I will lather up and make a pass with one soap then I will lather up and make a second pass with another. I sometimes am too impatient to wait to try another soap. I am really enjoying trying different soaps out.

brit, Redrock, Primotenore and 3 others like this.
  18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Respect.

Redrock, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  19. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I wish I could use a soap until it is finished, but I have so many that I like, it's hard to stick with one.

BamaT, oscar11, brit and 4 others like this.
  20. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Clearly.

Usually its about 3.

I guess thats one way to look at it, though some of the soaps I dont repeat buy, so is it really a rotation?
    Hey, I'll take it.

RyX, brit, Redrock and 4 others like this.