that's ok to use DE Safety Razor with Gillette shaving gel?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by idan, Nov 10, 2018.

1. idan

idan Active Member

Hello everyone: I noticed that I get excellent shaving results with Gillette shaving gel (Gillette Proglide 1-2 Ocean Breeze Shaving Gel) , and thats also much more easier to use and more quickly to use.
    I also noticed that most of the shaving soap and shaving creams on the market irritate my skin, and the shaving gel is much less irritating my skin if at all.
    I also feel that shaving gel perfectly softens my thick coarse beard.
    thats okay to use a shaving gel and a DE Safety Razor?
    What do you think about that...
    Thank you very much :):)

[​IMG]

Shaver X, AGHisBBS, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  2. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter what we think. It isn't our face. You do whatever it is that gives you a great shave.
    May I suggest however, instead of that particular canned goo, you try Barbasol. If you can find it, it is about the best ''goo'' out there.

3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Congrats! I'm glad you found something that works for you. I've used the Nivea Post Shave Balm, and it's good. I sometime use this shave cream and apply it with my hands. It works pretty well too.
    1.jpg
    I know Barbasol has its share of fans. I may try this someday as well.

AGHisBBS, RyX and brit like this.
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

If you'd like to try a shave soap in the future, you might consider Mike's Natural Soap unscented. I don't think you'll find it irritating, and the post-shave skin feel is excellent.

5. Pete123

Pete123 Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, what works best for each of us is what we need to use.

AGHisBBS, RyX and ordinaryshaver like this.
  6. ordinaryshaver

:signs011:

AGHisBBS likes this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

"It's your shave. Enjoy it your way." (tm)

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  8. ordinaryshaver

Also, focus on technique. That will always beat the latest and greatest trend. If you have solid technique, you will.be able to pick up.just about any razor and good a good shave.
    May I suggest the 30 day Challenge. It is about building technique first, then finding good gear.

RyX and wristwatchb like this.
  9. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

Way back when.... the only reason I didn't like the Gels, is because they clogged up the twin blade razors faster than foam. (I was using the TracII and various other twin blade razors)
    Today, I use single-blade razors of different kinds and practically never get clogs. Never thought about trying out the gels again. But not against it in any way.
    It should work fine with a safety razor. I would think a few swishes in warm water would clear out the gel/whiskers that build up during the shave.

10. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

some of the canned stuff is just fine.I used some of the gels(edge I think) way back IIRC I felt that they left such a slick film that it was hard to actually get a close shave with whatever disposable I was using at the time.Without bearing down pretty good with the razor.Of course my technique is better now.I may have to revisit these gels for travel use.

11. brit

brit in a box

i used the edge gel for years,worked fine..,i just prefer using a brush, some say you have to rinse your razor more..if you like it and get good results its all good..enjoy...

12. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

If you like that Nivea balm, they make sensitive skin Shave Creams as well. Both in a can and one that is for a brush.

13. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I also used Edge Gel for years, if not decades, when I was using carts. My recollection was that it was drying to my face. Once I found out about all this other stuff, I haven't used it again except once just to compare. All that did was confirm my original thoughts on the Edge Gel. I recently found a better option from a can: Gillette Foam Mousse Barbershop Fresh. I bought it for my son to take to sleep away camp after reading some rave reviews of it on a couple of the forums. I had to try it out for myself and now see why everyone likes it so much. Very moisturizing for something out of a can. It's rich and thick and luxurious going on the face and it's pretty slick. And I love the scent. My son had no complaints after two months in the mountains. With this stuff available I won't go back to the Edge. No reasons.

RyX likes this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

That residual slickness is a quality I seek in traditional shave soaps. I just might revisit the product type one day.

I do enjoy Barbasol canned cream on occasion. It's got to fight it's way into the rotation now days. Too many hard soaps with interesting scents!

Enrico and AGHisBBS like this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I used Edge Gel for years. I even got to where I used a boar brush to apply it. Although back then, I used an Atra, then Sensor, and then a Mach 3. When I went back to DE shaving I used soaps instead. However, I don't see any reason to not use it with a DE razor. It does provide a good measure of protection.

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

At some places...Weasel and Shank perhaps...just asking the question may get you banned depending on the mood of the mod. However, here at the Den of Dens we have men who can shave just fine with everyday bar soap and are not judged but loved (or at least tolerated) nonetheless.

PastorAndy914 and Shaver X like this.
  17. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

It's surprising what some canned gels can do when face-lathered with a soaked/shaken-out boar brush--as with traditional soaps and creams, you can get the moisture content just right for a great shave. I deployed the Barbasol Ultra gels and a travel-size can of Edge Sensitive Skin using a brush, and they all worked very nicely. Besides, with a brush, you don't have to deal with goo all over your fingers.

Jayaruh likes this.
  18. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I used Edge Gel a lot when using carts, it's good. If you want, you can also apply canned stuff with a brush.

AGHisBBS and Ursa like this.
  19. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

You should use whatever you like, like whatever you choose, and feel free to not be concerned with what others think.

Happy Shaving!

20. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

What do you mean by that? What are you trying to say? That I don't know how to shave? How dare you?

AGHisBBS, Edison Carter and Ursa like this.