Barbasol Brotherhood

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Bama Samurai, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Heh, I had no idea there was a Pacific Rush with menthol and caffeine until a couple of days ago, when I received a reply to an inquiry about bringing back...Lemon-Lime!

I told 'em how much I missed Lemon-Lime and suggested they bring back retired Barbasol varieties on a rotating, "Limited Edition" basis. That way, we could all stock up on our old favorites as they become periodically available: Mountain Blast, Lemon Lime, Cool Menthol, Skin Conditioning, Arctic Chill, and there's probably others, too.

Barbasol has been phasing out and reintroducing varieties over the years, so I think there's hope. Sensitive Skin went away before, was reintroduced in the Barbasol Ultra lineup, faded away again, and is now back on the market. Extra Moisturizing was also once a Barbasol Ultra variety that once disappeared and has now made a return.

Lemon Lime was a truly awesome Barbasol, and I only managed to get my hands on one solitary can of it at an off-the-beaten path drug store in '08. It seemed a bit more moisturizing than regular Barbasol, and the fragrance was so much fun!

RyX, ilts and Paul Turner like this.
  2. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Good grief, I checked four Walmart stores, three Meijer stores, two Walgreens, a Rite-Aid, our local Dollar General and Family Dollar, a local independent pharmacy, and three local groceries. Only one store has Pacific Rush--the old formula--and nobody has the new stuff with menthol.

What to do? Just ordered a sixer of new Pacific Rush online direct from Barbasol. Can't wait to try it...

RyX and ilts like this.
  3. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Saturday's Barbasol Shave 11/10/18 DSCF3059.JPG

brit, RyX, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

thought i would get a can .. 20181110_115747.jpg

RyX, Paul Turner, Enrico and 4 others like this.
  5. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Gonna go tomorrow and check for the new cans..

Ursa likes this.
  6. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

For those of you who love the now-discontinued Yellow Can...Walgreens.com still has Barbasol Skin Conditioning available online at the reasonable price of $2.19. Just ordered a couple of cans for my collection.

After I had already placed my order, I noticed they also have Wilkinson Sword Classic DE blade 5-packs for $1.29.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    brit likes this.
  7. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I think the Extra Moisturizing Purple Can put's out a more protective slick lather, and it has lanolin in it. I still use and like the Yellow can.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

ilts, Paul Turner and Ursa like this.
  8. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

I have a can of Extra Moisturizing but haven't given it a try yet. I checked out the ingredients and it appears to be the de facto replacement for Yellow. It'll be interesting to compare New Purple to Yellow.

I kinda like Yellow for this time of the year. There's an eggnog note to the fragrance that's fitting for the holidays.

RyX likes this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

A little Pacific Rush this morning.

Find that I'm using Barbasol more and more; I guess it's due to laziness.

brit, RyX, ilts and 1 other person like this.
  10. ordinaryshaver

Used the Cooper razor today, followed up with the Barbasol aftershave! I like this scent and the feel very much!
    I will have to go back to the dollar general and buy all they have. Great AS for the price, and performance!

RyX, ilts and Ursa like this.
  11. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

The Brisk ASL is indeed jolly good stuff, and a superb value at under US$2 a bottle.

For my taste, the fragrance is a little too forward for using right before heading to work, so I've been blending it 50/50 with another ASL I had sitting around, Wrangler.

RyX likes this.
  12. ordinaryshaver

I find that the scent dies fairly quickly on me. As always YMMV, but I usually put it on after my witch hazel.

Ursa likes this.
  13. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Incidentally, I don't think Barbasol actually makes Brisk. Dollar General and Family Dollar sold the exact same stuff under their own brands before Barbasol introduced Brisk (and Musk). It even came in the same pop-top bottle that Brisk originally did.

Should Barbasol ever elect to discontinue this, I'd wager that DG and Family Dollar would bring their own store-brand versions back in short order to continue to sell alongside their Brut and Old Spice imitations.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    RyX and ordinaryshaver like this.
  14. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

I drove to the next town over to the dollar general yesterday and bought a couple of bottles of brisk, you can also get it on the dollar general website.

RyX, Ursa and ordinaryshaver like this.
  15. ordinaryshaver

I bought 2, 1 to use, and 1 to stash away.

Ursa likes this.
  16. chevyguy

My Walmart finally has a few cans of it. I've never used the regular Barbasol so I bought a can. I plan on doing a SOTD with with it and my 1912 Gem Demaskeene this weekend.

Clayton

Ursa, ilts and Paul Turner like this.
  17. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Saturday's Barbasol Shave 11/17/18

DSCF3083.JPG

RyX, AGHisBBS, Ursa and 2 others like this.
  18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Now that my "haul" from Williamsport Barber Supply is here, I have a solid A.S. match for Barbasol-the TSD Bay Rum. I should clarify-I've always had the TSD Bay Rum, but got a different Bay Rum from WBS-that works better, I think, with the Jeeves B.R. soap.

RyX, ilts and Ursa like this.
  19. chevyguy

SOTD- 11/17/18

Gem Demaskeene
    Gem SS Blade
    Semogue SOC (Boar)
    Barbasol SC (100th Anniversary Can)
    P&G Old Spice Classic AS

Great all around shave this morning.

Clayton[​IMG]

RyX, ilts, Paul Turner and 1 other person like this.
  20. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Just think, some guy 50 or even 60 years ago would've gotten a great shave using this exact same setup.

The OS would've smelled a little different, but hey...it's still a classic.