Open comb

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by lightcs1776, Nov 11, 2018.

1. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I used my military shave set open comb razor for the first time in a year. It is a special set for me that I don't want to use outside of special occasions. So, I have two questions. First, what is the best way to fix a cracked handle? I am willing to send it out for repair, as this set has sentimental meaning to me, being a retired Warrant Officer. Second, what recommendations do you all have for a low cost open comb razor? I shave with a Gillette Fatboy, my only razor, but would like to have a daily open comb razor as well. I am open to vintage razors, in fact I prefer them.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Gillette NEW LC is a great 3pc DE. They aren't as prestigious as the older models, but there are lots kicking around. I've gotten many smooth shaves with one that's lost all the gold wash. They look pretty good in all brass. I've seen some plated in nickle that really shine.

Here it is as I found it in the wild.
    NEW LC from the wild.gif
    After a polishing with Brasso.
    New LC polished.gif

brit, Enrico, Linuxguile and 4 others like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Fatip.

AGHisBBS and Frijolero like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

My only OC, and only three piece.

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  5. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

The only open combs I have are vintage.
    In order of preference, with all 5 being very good shavers:

1. Cooper MonoBilt- can be pricey, but if you get a deal on one, it is my favourite non-Gillette
    2. NEW LC- as shown by Rick above
    3. NEW SC- some prefer it to the Long Comb. I have it a touch behind
    4. New Improved- not as cheap or plentiful as the NEWs, so I lowered it a bit based on your parameters.
    5. Old Type- I prefer the thin capped versions to the later thicker caps.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  6. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I wish to heaven that I had started on the Cooper MonoBilt, hiwhowe I did not.
    If you are looking for a budget razor, may I suggest the Parker 24, I believe. It is a 3 piece open comb.
    To go along with the suggestion of the MonoBilt, Cooper also.made a 3 piece razor. It is not as desirable, I'm told as the MonoBilt, but IMHO is a darn good razor. Lastly I would be remiss if I did not mention the available options in the Single Edge world. There is the MicroMatic open comb, the GEM Damanskee, the Valet Autostrop, as well as the ever popular ever ready.

Here is a picture of the Parker razor inwas talking about. I cannot remember the model to save my life, but you should be able to image search it.

Attached Files:

RyX, Frijolero and lightcs1776 like this.
  7. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I have a New LC, a New Improved and an Old Type. I do love both my News. The LC is replated in nickel and is very shiny

RyX and Frijolero like this.
  8. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I have something coming that may interest you- a New LC. It is coming to me as part of a mismatched set which I wanted for the case. From the photos, it looks to be in good shape, though I won't know how much of the gold wash is left vs. how much is bare brass until I get it and have a chance to try and clean/polish it. (original auction photos here)

Anyway, I don't need another New LC so it's yours if you want it. Drop me a PM with your address and I'll get it out to you when it arrives.

RyX, Frijolero, Terry and 2 others like this.
  9. lightcs1776

That is very generous. I will send you the address later today. Thank you!

RyX and Frijolero like this.
  10. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I've also recently become a major fan of fatip. The V2 head anyway. I have not tried the older one.

And I'm a longtime fan of the micromatic. They can be picked up pretty cheap, too.

Single ring is my favorite of the old Gillettes. Good deals can be had on them, but you may need a little patience.

RyX likes this.
  11. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

On an article I read a while back, someone used silver solder to repair a crack on his handle. He was a gunsmith so it really didn't cost him anything. Also Gillette open comb heads you can get pretty cheap, especially from parts lots on Ebay, that you can use on the New LC handle. Or if you can find one, both Maggard and Razorock both made an open comb copy with chrome plating and pop up every so often.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Can you please post a photo so I can drool?

Tapatalk via LG

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I am a big fan of vintage Gillette open comb razors. This short comb New was my first. I had it replated in bright nickel.
    100_1950b.jpg
    This one is a flat bottom English long comb New.
    lcnew_ballend_s.jpg
    This is a New Improved Tuckaway.
    IMG_5222.JPG
    This Long Comb New had a cracked handle. I made a wooden handle for it. It has a new home now.
    IMG_5404.JPG

New Improved.
    New Improved_08.JPG
    This is a New Improved Tuckaway I had replated in rhodium.
    Tuckaway_15.jpg
    This is a Goodwill long comb with a ball end handle.
    USGoodwill21.JPG

This is my Sheraton long comb TTO. I love this razor.
    Sheraton_15.JPG

Then there are the Old Types. I got a US Army OT without a handle, so I made a wooden handle for it.
    IMG_8353.JPG

gorgo2, Enrico, brit and 9 others like this.
  14. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Mine looks like his but my pics aren't aren't as good haha

20181013_151242_1539441949963-1966x1474.jpg

(Just from an SOTD)

brit, Primotenore, jtspartan and 2 others like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Sufficient to confirm my thoughts about nickel plating!

Dansco and lightcs1776 like this.
  16. lightcs1776

I will try that out in the (hopefully) near future. I would replace the handle, but there is a certain sentimental value to keeping the military set original.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

i have a new lc, new sc, new deluxe and 2 british new raised flat bottoms. 20181112_233731.jpg 20181112_233838.jpg
    the brit new rfb (my favorites) on the left .comb length is in between th lc and sc..

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Frijolero, RyX and lightcs1776 like this.
  18. lightcs1776

To close the loop on this question, I ordered a Fatip Retro. I am very much looking forward to using it. I also let John know that it is coming and he graciously offered to send me the open comb he is expecting. I am also excited to try it as well. Folks here are incredibly generous with both their sharing of information and their possessions.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

your new in bright nickel is stunning..

Frijolero and lightcs1776 like this.
  20. lightcs1776

Not only did a New LC come in the mail today, but a tgin-cap old as well. One of my sons may get a chance to try one of these as well. They look like very solid razors and I am anxious to try them. Thank you, John, for such a generous gift. [​IMG][​IMG]