What Do You Use For Home Defense??

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

And you're the winner. You win an all expenses paid trip for two to Castle Anthrax where you will be treated to bathing, dressing, undressing, making exciting underwear and spanking. And after the spanking, the oral .............. I keep forgetting this is a family website. Carry on.

Flyingbald, markjnewcomb and brit like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I see your bunny and raise you a demon cat
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :eatdrink013:

3. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Glock 21 except when my wifes watching dancing with the Stars. If they try anything during that time they are dead meat. She will tear them limb by limb (bare handed).

DaltonGang and ordinaryshaver like this.
  4. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Mine isnt "Dancing with the Stars" it is "Survivor" sometimes I feel like shooting the t.v. just to get a bit of respite!

DaltonGang and preidy like this.
  5. ordinaryshaver

I know this may be a bit old, but something I am considering very heavily is the ruger lcp in .327 magnum. Yes a .327! it is akin to the old .32 acp, but with a longer case and more powder. Claims are a bit outrageous, claiming it can achieve velocity up to .357 standards. I find that highly doubtful, but It does give you an extra round, and has better velocity out of a shorter barrel. Plus, less felt recoil.
    If I could only find a way to get the .327 mainstream then I think the round has serious potential. But, alas, that my be only a pipe dream!

DaltonGang likes this.
  6. Mr Two Bits

Mr Two Bits Well-Known Member

A037F824-B012-4BC9-B1A3-B08EDA27AED3.jpeg The gold standard.

7. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Rem 870
    [​IMG]

EDC's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  8. ordinaryshaver

That 870 looks great! Love the side saddle.

9. Preacher

Thank you! It is an older (1997) model so the action is smooth. I have to look to see who makes that side saddle. It interfered with the foreend so the foreend is cut down to accomodate it.

10. Preacher

Doesn't Remington have a magazine fed semi-auto on the market?

11. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

All the home defense I need! ;)

My wife has bear spray at the front door, I have a training katana in my car, my .22 pistol at the side of my bed as well as an assortment of martial arts weapons.

All else fails we (now) have panic buttons, gps ones, that we can hit.[​IMG]

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

12. Woohog1

Woohog1 Member

I have this one strictly stock on the internals.
    However being a South paw, I did add a bad lever. [​IMG]

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

The .327 mag is a respectable cartridge, with energy levels about the same as 9mm, and exceeding .38 special. It’s the same diameter bullet as the .32 ACP, but substantially more powerful. And, as you noted, in small frame revolvers you get an extra round. I used to shoot a Thompson Contender 32-20 in Hunter Pistol Silhouette. The .327 mag is very similar to the 32-20, but offers the added advantage of having straight walled vases, making it easier to reload. It would have been ideal in the Hunter Pistol Silhouette matches, and would excel as a small to medium game/predator cartridge in a rifle. I have little doubt it would do well as a self defense cartridge.

mrchick likes this.
  14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

That beard should scare most intruders away. :happy097:
    Kudos to the Bear Spray, for the wife.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Wife and I are looking at a few options. Considering the G42 and Ruger EC9s. Have also looked at Walther and Bersa. Any thoughts on these, or others, before we go looking and shooting? Main things we're looking for -- compact size, ease of maintenance and general reliability. Thanks for any input.

16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The Glocks are about as reliable as.they come. They set the standard. Plus, you will find it easy to mount a flashlight to it. Lights are a good thing, at night. It helps if they are mounted to the gun. One less thing to look for in the dark.

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Thank you.

18. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

The G42 is a .380, whereas the LC9s is a 9mm. Both are fine pistols. I have an LC9s, and I have had only one ammo that wouldn’t function it it, Remington Golden Saber. Everything else functions flawlessly. My son has a Glock G43, which is a 9mm approximately the same size as the G42 .380, and it has been 100% reliable with all ammo. The 9mm is very easy to shoot in these platforms in my opinion, but then I am an experienced shooter. I don’t think you would go wrong with any of these pistols.

The Glocks are a little easier to disassemble for cleaning, but the Ruger isn’t bad.

None of these pistols have a rail for mounting a light, due to lack of space. I respectfully disagree with mounted lights generally speaking; a handheld light allows you to hold the light off center of your body, and allows more flexibility in how you use the light. Having said that, I do have one mounted light, but generally it’s not my first option.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    gorgo2 likes this.
  19. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Those are some good looking guns and rigs. Are both handguns Kimber?

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Thank you. I've read that the .380 has somewhat less recoil but not much less stopping power, so between that, the very slightly smaller size to the 43, and the reported ease of cleaning, it would be a good one to consider for the wife who has shot only a few times years ago but wants to learn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.