How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Dec 11, 2011.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've been using a stovetop popper for the past seven or so years. All I've ever used.
    $35 at Target. I have read reviews on those fancy roasters that go for $300, then only last three, maybe four, years.
    My popper shows no sign of giving up.

2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Like my Bonavita. Secret if making under 6 cups is to pass 2 cups of water through machine to heat things up. Espresso and espresso based drinks for me when not using Bonavita. Part of my lever collection.
    7C25C5B0-AB11-434D-9556-1FB9A4189838.jpeg
    A guy got to have hobbies you know ;)

gorgo2, Enrico, Erik Redd and 2 others like this.
  3. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I really like the coffee that I make in my Cuisinart Brew Central 12-cup drip coffeemaker. The trick is making sure your machine is clean, and transfer the coffee to a preheated insulated carafe right after it's brewed.

Clayton

4. chevyguy

I use a Presto Air popper when I roast beans. It get's them to that important 2nd crack.

Clayton

Enrico, Erik Redd and swarden43 like this.
  5. chevyguy

Nice looking machine, how old is it?.

Clayton

6. swarden43

I've never used an air popper.

Erik Redd likes this.
  7. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

It works pretty well. It's very easy to use, but you can only do small amounts at a time.

8. swarden43

I only do half a pound at a time.
    Dirigo Blue is saved for weekends.

Erik Redd likes this.
  9. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

An air popper only does about 2.5 ounces at a time. It gives a very even, controllable roast but be prepared to spend a lot of time roasting if you drink a lot of coffee.

http://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/popperroasting

Enrico likes this.
  10. swarden43

No doubt it really blows the chaff around.

11. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I thought I'd bump this thread. I'm considering this machine. I haven't actually seen one in person but I'm intrigued by the possibility of making 9 bars without spending a fortune. It's called the Cafelat Robot. The one with the gauge is their Barista model. If this thing can make a good shot of real espresso, then I may just have to pick one of these up.

image.png

Jostalli and Douglas Carey like this.
  12. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

That looks interesting.
    I still like my Mr. Coffee coffee maker.

13. PatrickA51

I still use my Mr.Coffee 12 cup coffee maker.:angry019::happy088::happy096:

Enrico likes this.
  14. PatrickA51

Yes I do they work great.

15. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

I use a pour ver Bunn. Make a fantastic brew in 3 minutes for an entire pot.

16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'd like to get one of these ...

But normally I use a Mr Coffee and a couple stainless camp percolators.

A last choice of mine is Nescafe .... in my opinion, still pretty yummy! :eatdrink013:

Marc Bagwell and PatrickA51 like this.
  17. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

I drink my coffee black. Usually buy the two and a half pound bags of Starbucks French Roast (or Verona when they have it) at Costco. Grind two or three cups worth at a time in one of those top loading push button blade grinders that everybody says not to use. Boil a regular kitchen kettle (not a special goose neck) on our gas range and wait a little over a minute after shutting off the heat from a rolling boil. Ceramic pour over on top of a mug, paper filter with my preferred amount of grounds and three pours. First one just wets the grounds, second pour slow and a little more volume to increase the brew time and create a "crema" or whatever ya call the lighter chocolatey look to the grounds. Third pour fast and high to give it a stir and fast drip-through. After doing it this way for years I rarely mis-judge the levels and over pour. Lift the ceramic and filter away, give the black coffee a stir with the teaspoon I used to take grounds from the grinder. This spoon has an almost imperceptible amount of micro-fine powdered coffee grounds on it. It does not leave coarse grounds in the bottom of the cup like cowboy coffee, and does not leave a pile of sludge like french press. It just seems to create a nice mouth feel similar to a perc coffee but without the "boiled" thing that perc sometimes gets. No special high dollar gear. Stove, filter, regular kettle, cheapo electric grinder. Well....I do get kinda fancy. I fill the kettle with cold filtered water from the fridge.

Marc Bagwell and PatrickA51 like this.
  18. PatrickA51

@Laird
    Sounds like it makes an excellent cup of coffee :eatdrink013::signs107: