Best Adjustable: Rockwell 6c vs Merkur Progress vs QShave vs Parker Variant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by idan, Nov 10, 2018.

?

Rockwell 6c vs Merkur Progress vs QShave vs Parker Variant

1. Rockwell 6c

2. Merkur Progress

3. QShave

4. Parker Variant

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. idan

idan Active Member

best modern adjustable razor : Rockwell 6c vs Merkur Progress vs QShave vs Parker Variant .
    which razor is best in your opinion? for close shave and irritation free .
    It is very important to me that the razor will be smooth on the skin and also effective.
    (i have a sensitive skin which tends to razor bumps).
    thank you very much :);)

RyX likes this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Look , they are each the best razor for somebody, that's why they sell.

First decide which type you want because the Rockwell is a completely different beast, you won't be changing plates mid shave.

They are all equally effective, I have the Rockwell, Progress (Variant is basically a dressed up Progress), Q-Shave and Futur, any preference has to do with handling and other factors. I use the Progress most often if that's any help.

Screwtape likes this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

The Rockwell 6s is very well built and a smooth razor. I'd like to say mild, but to many that would imply it wasn't efficient. With good technique, it is.
    I have always loved my progress. It gives me hands down the smoothest results, consistently.
    I can do do as well with the others sometimes, maybe most times.
    The variant is indeed of those others, it takes me a little more concentration than the progress, but it's possible.
    The futur is right up there, maybe as good as the progress.
    They all consistently give better results than my slim

Screwtape and Tdmsu like this.
  4. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I haven't tried a Rockwell 6C, or any other Rockwell. But then, I don't consider it an adjustable razor. You can reconfigure it by changing out baseplates, but to my mind, that does not make it adjustable, but reconfigurable. I'm sure many others disagree.

I prefer the Parker Variant over my other modern adjustables, Progress, Futur, and Parthenon.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    Screwtape likes this.
  5. idan

idan Active Member

more opinion people ;)

6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The Rex Ambassador

Str8on2, SevenEighth and brit like this.
  7. bayercy

bayercy Well-Known Member

I have Progress, Futur and Futur clone Mingshi 2000s.
    Simply, Progress is the best, IMHO.

8. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

I voted Parker Variant vs Rockwell, only because of ease of adjustment - they are really neck & neck...no pun intended..

I do have new found love for my recently acquired Fat Boy!!!

9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Look at the PAA Ascension. Very smooth, and when you back off by about a quarter turn, it is pretty efficient.

10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I have the Progress and the Variant. Although very similar I tend to like the Variant more. Although a Gillette Fat Boy is in the mix also, but not new.

Herm

11. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

You need to work on your technique. Razor bumps are caused mostly from a bit too much pressure. The razor has nothing to do with it.

Pick up a Slim, Fatboy or a Black Beauty for a relatively low price. Good soap, good prep and get to working on your shave technique. Once you get that down, almost anything will work for you.

Screwtape, brit and Herm2502 like this.
  12. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

+1

jwr3265 and brit like this.
  13. Herm2502

More opinions? Man goes to a doctor. Doctor says "You're dying. ". Man says "I need a second opinion". Doctor says "OK, you're ugly too."

Herm

14. brit

brit in a box

that one has my eyeball on it..

15. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Here are the adjustables that I own:

[​IMG]

From left to right :

Merkur Futur
    Merkur Progress
    Parker Variant
    Weishi adjustable
    Rex Ambassador
    Rockwell 6s

I would be happy with any of them to use as my only razor. In my head, this is how I rank them and why. The higher the score, the higher the rank.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  16. Herm2502

That's amazing stuff. I think you need a hobby.

Herm

dmshaver and SevenEighth like this.
  17. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I am certain this is not what OP wanted to hear, but sometimes its better to be honest. I would venture all the tea in China, that you dont actually have sensitive skin. You may have sensitized skin, but my opinion is this. TECHNIQUE! Work on your basics, blade angle, pressure, and getting the skin stretching down. Technique trumps tools EVERY single time.

Im not saying you shouldnt get an adjustable razor if you want one. Far be it from me to hinder any enabling that I could do, but I believe you are putting the cart before the horse. Why not head over to the 30 day rule post and see if you can improve your technique first. Dont blame the clutch if you cant drive a standard.

18. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Did you purposely leave out the Rex Ambassador? I've seen a lot of great reviews on that one. What about the Rockwell Model T?

19. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

How about this offering from Feather I stumbled upon on Amazon today? Only 2 settings though.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

What they said.

ordinaryshaver likes this.