Barbasol Brotherhood

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Bama Samurai, Jul 3, 2016.

1. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

The Barbasol really works well with my Dammy and the Gem SS Blade. I wish I still had a bottle of the Shulton Old Spice. It was a favorite of my dad's and he used it almost daily I remember. The reformulated stuff has a lighter scent too it. It's close to the old scent, I wish it had real glycerine in it.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

brit, RyX, ilts and 2 others like this.
  2. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

My Dad never used it...but his Dad sure did! I still fondly remember Grandpa sharing his Old Spice with me at the end of his shave.

Inspired by Grandpa, I got a bottle of my own way before I ever started shaving.

brit, RyX, ilts and 2 others like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

You lucky dog-there's the century can!!! They'd better bring'em around my way soon. Really a nice design.

4. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I got the purple can today. Wonder if it is actually extra....

ilts and AGHisBBS like this.
  5. chevyguy

I found mine at Walmart on Thursday last week. I think you'll see one soon at your local store. It is a cool looking can. When I was grocery shopping this afternoon I bought a 4-pack of the 3-bladed razor's to try.

Clayton

Ursa and ilts like this.
  6. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

I've only logged one shave with New Purple, but my initial impression is that Green offers better skincare and a more pleasant fragrance. The aroma of New Purple strikes me as a bit odd; perhaps evocative of cheap body wash.

The Triple blade disposables are my favorite of the Barbasol razors. The Twin blade jobs can be rough, and the 6-blade--while still quite a nice disposable--isn't quite as sharp or smooth as the Triples.

You're fortunate to find them; they disappeared from all my local retailers last year...

ilts likes this.
  7. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Saturday's Barbasol Shave 11/24/18 DSCF3101.JPG

brit, AGHisBBS, Ursa and 2 others like this.
  8. chevyguy

I shaved twice last week with the three blader and had to use quite a bit of pressure and go over areas multiple times to get a shave that was smooth. Even with reapplying lather I suffered some irritation on both shaves. On the second shave I did the final pass with my Sensor that was loaded with a four shave old Personna Tri-Flex Cartridge and that equaled a smooth shave. The Barbasol razor just isn't sharp enough for me, and I don't like having to apply a lot of pressure to make a razor work.

Clayton

Ursa likes this.
  9. chevyguy

For me it is, and I think it gives a little more cushion than the yellow can. I have and use both cans.

Clayton

ilts and Ursa like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

It's still to be found in the wild. I won't buy it from the bay at inflated prices, but I've found it at odd thrift & antique stores. I've stopped actively looking for Shulton Old Spice since I picked up several bottles that are tucked away in my backstock cabinet. I revisited OS in it's new formulation when I rejoined the Wet Shave Revolution over three years ago. Still have that juice, but decanted into a vintage Admiral's Flask. Last week I found Shulton Leather, both AS & Cologne. Still looking for their Lime.

So, back to the Barbasol discussion? Lime! I'd like to join in the email campaign. Anyone have that address so I can craft my plea for them to work it back into the mix? I don't recall ever using it, but for decades I'd purchase whatever canned shave cream was on sale when my can ran out. Did they make a matching AS lotion? I've found a current production shave soap with a bright lime scent - Razorock's What The Puck Lime Burst. It goes well with Pinaud AS, either Lime Sec or Citrus Musk.

Over in The 30 Day Rule / Focus group I elected to have a No Repeat November. Been working my way through matching soaps & AS. I haven't used a razor or brush twice yet this month. Getting towards the end of the month and some of my combos aren't quite "matching". I'll be pulling out the Arctic Chill SC & Pacific Rush AS in a show of Barbasol Brotherhood Solidarity.

Ursa, ilts and Paul Turner like this.
  11. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

RyX, to contact Barbasol just go here, then fill out the form. The last time I contacted Barbasol, I was surprised to get a response on a Sunday to an inquiry sent the day before, on a Saturday.

As far as I know, there's only been three Barbasol A/S lotions, Brisk, Pacific Rush, and Musk. The Musk was, well, rather forgettable--you didn't miss anything if you never got to try it. All of them came out years after the glorious Lemon-Lime Barbasol was discontinued.

Interestingly, I just cracked open a new tub of Razorock Essential Oil of Lime soap and have enjoyed two delightful shaves with it so far. Good stuff, indeed, but the Lemon-Lime Foamy (GASP!) in my rotation offers a far more intense and refreshing Lemon-Lime fragrance. Until Barbasol brings back Lemon-Lime, this stuff will do quite nicely.

RyX and ilts like this.
  12. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Ow, you just touched a raw nerve! The Personna Tri-Flexxx is the best cartridge system I've ever tried, and I'm still mighty sore at Dollar General for not carrying these anymore. Of course, I discovered they were still available on Amazon not long after I tossed my two Tri-Flexxx handles, assuming I'd never find carts for them again. Bah!

Also used to love the Schick Slim Twin cartridge razor back in the late '80s and early '90s. The handle and pivoting action was just perfect and the blades were wicked sharp, yet incredibly smooth.

RyX and ilts like this.
  13. chevyguy

My local Bi-Mart carries the Tri-Flex cartridges and I prefer them over the Sensor Excel 3-blade cartridge. I used the Slim Twin system until I couldn't get refills for it in the early nineties. I liked the fact that you could lock the pivot action, and clean stubble from between the blades with the push clean button on the cartridge head.

Clayton

Ursa, RyX and ilts like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you @Ursa! I'll be putting my electronic pen to glowing screen and altering the fine folks at Barbasol to our desire. One more vote! Not sure if there are other organization out there who have gathered to share our enjoyment for their products. I'll include a link to this TSD thread just in case they didn't know.

ilts and Ursa like this.
  15. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

I see there's no shortage of vintage Slim Twin gear on a leading Internet auction site, and it's possible that some of Personna's twin blade cartridges fit the Slim Twin handle. Just scored a NOS handle/3 blade set on eBay. If it's as good as I remember, it'll make a perfect travel razor.

ilts likes this.
  16. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Saturday's Barbasol Shave 12/01/18 DSCF3122.JPG

brit, AGHisBBS, Paul Turner and 3 others like this.
  17. chevyguy

The original Slim Twin Cartridge will fit on a Gillette Atra handle.

Clayton

18. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Ah, but will an Atra cartridge fit on a Slim Twin handle? I picked up a 6-pack of Dollar General Atra carts and will find out once my Slim Twin kit gets here--likely on Monday.

Sent from my Motorola Bag Phone using Tapatalk

19. chevyguy

It should fit.

Clayton

Ursa likes this.
  20. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

The Slim Twin arrived today. Dollar General Atra-compatible cartridges don't fit. No biggie. There's plenty of Slim Twin carts on eBay going cheap!

Ooo, the Slim Twin handle is just as nice as I remember. A precision machine with real substance; a lot of thought and effort went into it. For a cartridge system handle, it's a man among boys.

Looking forward to today's shave...Classic Slim Twin with classic Barbasol Cool Menthol followed up with Barbasol Brisk ASL. It's gonna be a winner.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    ilts and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.