Alterntive glues and adhesives for knot setting

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Vlasta, Nov 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    HI - I seem to have taken a dislike to epoxy - it gives me asthma like symptoms, mild fortunately and a cough for days after using it. I don't really want to start wearing a respirator if I can help it. So - what alternatives?

• Silicon sealant - not tough enough is my guess for long term use - temp setting OK.
    • Wheat paste glue - I can see the attraction BUT I cannot be bothered boiling up a batch every time I want to set a few knots
    • Contact adhesive like Evostick - too smelly and fumes are just as bad
    So guys - what suggestions? Preferably something I can buy in a tube or a dispenser, that does not require much mixing.

Douglas Carey and RyX like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Loctite Quick Grab is very good, better than Liquid Nails and has very little odor that I remember.

Vlasta likes this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I did use Super Glue Gel on one once, it's still holding up.

Vlasta likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Two years ago I set an APShaveCo Tuxedo & a Whipped Dog High Mountain badger in a B-400 handle by Tom @twhite. No signs of letting go. GE brand 100% Silicone.
    Whipped Dog High Mountain 24mm at 54mm loft.gif

jtspartan, Linuxguile and Vlasta like this.
  5. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    How much did you need to put in?

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

The knot glue pucks fit close to the inside of the threaded ferrules. I pushed the knots in from the top to my desired depth. From the bottom open end, using the fine point tip of the product, I injected silicone between the ferrule and the glue puck. Not enough to squirt up and out the top or get all over the brush fibers. Then I applied enough to cover the bottom of the glue puck to seal it. The tube of silicone eventually dried up and became unusable, but the knots are still firmly in place. Because this sets to a rubbery consistency, if/when I decide to change out the knots I won't have to chisel out hard brittle glue.

I've also used it on another brush revamp. This one had a plastic ferrule riding a wooden handle. The knot was a Maggard's Sunrise type. I used the silicone for both the knot to ferrule & ferrule to handle glue. It was done almost a year ago, but I don't know if it's still in use. Sent it to one of my sons that has yet to do a SOTD photo.
    final.gif

Linuxguile likes this.
  7. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Anybody tried hot glue?

RyX likes this.
  8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I used the same stuff to set the knot on this Ever-Ready 200T. I then later wanted to pull the knot to reset it at a shorter loft. It will not come out, even after heating up the brush in near boiling water.

[​IMG]

Vlasta, RyX and jtspartan like this.
  9. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I have used that product for about 20 brushes. I have pulled out only one. It came out, but with a great deal of resistance. Wrapped the handle safely and put it in a vise. Used a clamp on the knot and it did come out with a great deal of persuasion.
    I'd say it is a good product, but not if you want to easily swap out a knot.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Vlasta, Screwtape, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  10. Linuxguile

Also I set the knot in my 30DCLE handle with silicone and its super stable.

RyX, Vlasta and jtspartan like this.
  11. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Silicone won't melt at normal temperatures and definitely not boiling water - it is stable up to like 300 degrees C, so boiling water won't help.

stuartganis and Linuxguile like this.
  12. Linuxguile

I'm just saying this stuff is tougher then you might be giving it credit for.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Screwtape, RyX and jtspartan like this.