Clear the Den (Not Hardware)

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Flyingbald, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Flyingbald

Flyingbald Member

I have been on a personal challenge of excess vs necessity. I’m fairly new to the DE / SE shaving (5 years) and as I can only imagine, many of you went down the same rabbit hole. Way too many razors, soaps, aftershaves, blades, etc...

Hardware obsession I can understand. So many razors, so many choices, and so many varying results. Easy to solve as you can swap and sell.

The challenge? I had so many soaps and aftershaves, I wanted to see how long it would take to clear out all my soaps, aftershaves, or similar products.

Well, it’s been almost a year since I have purchased any soaps or aftershaves. By the looks of it, I still have another year left! Goodnight!

Just curious to know if any such challenge has crossed your mind. I took on this hobby of wet shaving to save money and it was clearly a better shave. I suppose I’m saving money now but the first few years was a rabbit hole. I have enjoyed the journey and love the other fellow wet shavers and community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Sounds like you did an unassisted solo No Buy 2018. Congrats!

There's a support group that will be forming for NB'19 if you'd like to help lead the charge up that mountain of excess product. An informal "use up soaps" contest has been going on in The 30 Day thread. Ironically the prize is a tub of soap.

In several years I've sampled and tried enough gear that I'm more discerning about filling in the gaps in my lineup. Slowing the acquisitions is only half the problem. Once I learned to use what I have there's an excess of what I should have passed on. I've found a couple homeless shelters that happily receive soaps and aftershaves that don't work for me.

3. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Wait, you mean people get in this to SAVE money?
    My biggest fear is that I will die and my wife will sell everything for the price I told her I bought it for.

koenfucius, gorgo2, Shaver X and 13 others like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

save money?;) i just switched hobbies.. but seriously ,all these new soap bases and stuff keep coming out..i purchased a few items on the remebrance day/black friday sales but have definitely bought less this year than previous years. i am interested in a NB19 group.the way i shave , 2-4 times a week, i have 10+ years worth if not more..

5. ordinaryshaver

Truth be told, I don't really need anything else and I could get great shaves for quite a few years. But, some people collect coins, some work on cars, some play music, me I collect razors and soaps.
    I figure it all works out in the end.

6. Flyingbald

Flyingbald Member

Good on ya for the donations! I didn’t think of that but great idea. I love the NB19 thread. However, not sure if I can make it through being that I’ve been at this for a good 8-10 months. However, I did buy a brick of the Arco (13 rolls) for traveling. I suppose I could dip into that for a good 5 years. Ha ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyX, Frijolero and wristwatchb like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

yes sir,my thoughts as well..sometimes i look at my soap/razors/aftershaves/blades/cd s/model kits/ tools/ etc and go oh crap ,need to thin out..must be a disorder..

8. brit

brit in a box

there are soaps /creams/ razors ect that were " gotta haves".now i am finding out that samples and pass arounds could have curbed some purchases..i have zero regrets, and my friend has a nice collection now, i have gotten others to try de instead of carts.and there will be many items i won t repurchase..a good learning experience..

9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I have a small rotation of razors and brushes that I really like to use or just keep around for various reasons. I've thinned the hardware down along the way by gifting gear to friends and new wet shavers. I have a lifetime supply of blades - I went overboard here, but they will keep or get passed along if I don't use them.

As for software, I'm using what I have. It was hard, but I resisted the Black Friday sales so far. I'm targeting about 5 soaps and creams that seem to work the best or that I enjoy using the most. It will take me 3 or 4 years to get there, as I currently have 13 containers of either new or partially used soaps or creams. This includes two containers of MdC, and those soaps seem to last forever. I have 7 aftershaves. I hope to eventually have about 4 once I use up some of what I have.

I'm not averse to acquiring new stuff, but as @RyX said, it has to be something that fills a specific gap in my lineup. I'm having fun now continuing to refine my technique (even after 6 years) and just enjoying great shaves using what I have.

Linuxguile, Flyingbald, RyX and 3 others like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

i am in a similar headspace.. purchased some new products bases on new soap bases on black friday,but i want to use what i have from here on in..i have enough to keep me out of the boredom loop..

Flyingbald, RyX, Paul Turner and 2 others like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

it seems i agree with a lot of reasons to purchase stuff..then i look at it all and think why do i need all this stuff, maybe i just overthink things..to all the enablers thank you. to all those showing restraint thank you as well. it is a privilege to have choices and cupboard space...i am grateful for both.

12. ordinaryshaver

If all I had to use was a Gillette Rocket and Arko soap, I could still get great shaves. For some, that works ,but for me it doesn't. I have to have a bit of variety.
    I have most DE razor that I want sans a fat boy, but my real love would be SE, that is where my RAD takes over.

Flyingbald, wristwatchb, RyX and 2 others like this.
  13. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I've pretty much stopped chasing new soap bases. Maybe I'm just getting jaded, but the trend seems to be increasingly expensive exotic ingredients for smaller gains. Water buffalo tallow? Seriously? I think that one was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I am a huge fan of that brand's original formulation. Rather skeptical of newer formulations, especially since the price gets "reformulated" each time too. But I might have have tried it some day, until the water buffalo thing. Now? Done with 'em.

Flyingbald, wristwatchb, RyX and 2 others like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

me too, i get bored easily..and like variety also .i am glad i moved on from my car restoration hobby..

15. brit

brit in a box

the doppelganger soap from paa ,i might try it as i haven t tried a paa product before, maybe..but in reality what i have already is fantastic..i mean, i used williams for 10 years..a soap or 2 a year after my stash has diminished is my next goal ...NB19 in my future.

Flyingbald, wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  16. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Anymore scent is the deciding factor for me. And those do sound interesting. Even in that regard I've had enough misses that I want a sample before I get a full tub. Or better yet, go to Maggard, or Merz, and stick my nose in everything. But really, I have such a variety of scents now that I don't think I need a formal NB19. I'll be thinning the herd one way or another in the near future.

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm there with you. I've tried enough from old school makers to the latest thing. Now it's fine tuning for my developed preferences. Soaps like ARKO or Tabac probably won't change their formulas any time soon. Companies like Stirling, Mystic Water, etc have settled down after doing their reformulations. Given time they'll develop their signature style even if that's having an ever changing range of scents.

Linuxguile, brit and wristwatchb like this.
  18. wristwatchb

Whatcha got against water buffalo? You done gone and made him mad. :D
    1.jpg

Shaver X, Terry, Linuxguile and 3 others like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm not sure I'd want any part of me up against him. Or any part of him for that matter. Then again he/she might be the most personable water buffalo in the herd. Or the best at making BBQ? Having seen these creatures used as low tech tractors I'm guessing after they have served as farm implement power sources, then they reach the dinner table. A bit tougher than their younger days but aren't we all.

Frijolero and wristwatchb like this.
  20. wristwatchb

This is actually a photo of a smiling water buffalo. If that's a smile, I hope I never encounter an unhappy little feller. If he eventually makes it to the dinner table, then it only makes sense to make shave soap from his tallow. Just thought I should point that out.

brit, Frijolero and RyX like this.