Paradigm Ti SE... Overpriced Hype or Legit?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Nov 24, 2018.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You can also sell the women sometimes below purchase price or make a profit depending.

Flyingbald likes this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Beautiful razor Gus. Thanks for the detailed report. Enjoy!

Str8on2 likes this.
  3. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

It could happen.

4. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Thank you Primo..... :thanks:

clint64 and Primotenore like this.
  5. william beer

william beer Well-Known Member

I received mine about three weeks ago. I have to agree with Gus' report. My shaves have gotten progressively better and smoother as I have refined my technique. It certainly is a gorgeous razor and I feel good shaving with it. I have two other razors that I also like; the Rex Ambassador and the OneBlade V2. The OnBlade suits my skin/face superbly. I get very comfortable and close shaves. The Rex is also a very smooth shaver and I like the adjustability. Very close and smooth shaves are achievable with the Rex and the grip can't be beat. If you beat me into submission and I had to choose just one of those razors it would be a tough choice.

Str8on2 likes this.
  6. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I'd like to add to my previous comments.
    For many people, aesthetics is an important element of their collection choices. I have pipes that are hand carved and beautiful to look at and hold. In all honesty, they do not smoke appreciably better than pipes I have that cost far less. And all watches give you the time, but that 1948 Omega my sons bought me for my 70th birthday is something special (my birth year). Any watch collector will tell you the same thing.

Something beautiful, a perfect blend of form and function, transcends its intended use. And now that we're in the "Golden Age" of razors, artisans are producing some remarkable razors, some are much more than shaving tools.

So if it's something unique and singularly appealing to you, go for it. And enjoy it.

7. Str8on2

Sir, well said.....:eatdrink047:

Flyingbald likes this.
  8. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Thats too bad about the poor packaging. I dont personally purchase high end razors, but If you are spending that kind of money you are not wrong for expecting a better presentation IMO. It plays a huge roll in creating that "luxury" feel you mentioned (take THB as a example) and can create atomsphere ir mystique around the product itself.

Str8on2 likes this.
  9. Str8on2

Got shave 2 in yesterday evening with the Paradigm. Decided to switch out the Kai Titan Pink and go with a Schick Proline on it’s first use. Did my normal shower and prep and got on with the shave. I happened to receive a shipment today of a new soap for me, Lisa’s Natural Herbal Creations, Amber & Tobacco and Haute Leather. It was Haute Leather that was up for the shave and it was on.

Except for the soap, I changed nothing else in terms of how I was going to shave and attack the whiskers. I went with the same ATG/XTG hybrid passes as it seemed to work well with the initial shave. I have to say that the Proline was a nice step up in shave feel and performance. The first ATG pass knocked down quite a bit of the stubble. The Lisa’s soap provided a nice, creamy lather that was protective and yielded a nice smooth glide for the razor while still having some residual slickness that allowed a quick repass or two on a couple of spots. Very nice. The scent was nice, not strong or overpowering with a leather and like a hand lotion type and a light earthy undertone scent that was pleasant and played well together. The second pass XTG hybrid was just as good as the first and pretty much cleaned up anything that was left behind from the first pass. The razor is incredibly smooth and mild yet has a nice efficiency to it and it felt better with the blade change. Finished my 2 passes with a quality, near BBS finish minus a tough spot on Sir Adam. Always a challenge there for any razor. I don’t chase Sir Adam much, a quick pass or two and what I get, that’s what I get. A quick cold water splash and face rub and I was good to go. The Lisa’s gave a nice post shave feel that left my face nicely hydrated and soft. Good performance for a first timer and the accolades that this soap has garnered are pretty much well deserved and earned imo.

Now, I’m writing this at about 6:30 in the morning and my shave was at about 7 pm last night and I already have a light, steady growth of stubble appearing where it usually comes back first with all my shaves, the jawline. The 5 O’Clock shadow was nearly in. Not patches but, uniform stubble that leads up to just about below my ear lobe and very light growth on both of the burns. I noticed this also on my first shave with the Kai that I had a very quick grow back of stubble and had my shadow within 7 hours of the shave. I find this perplexing as I felt both shaves were quality shaves and left my skin clear of hair and any stragglers. Neither shave has given me a single nic, cut, weeper nor any irritation to speak of but, I’m not getting the quality of longevity that I would normally get associated with a quality shave from others like the Vector, El Jefe, SS/Brass General and the Claymore. I won’t mention the Rx as there are only 1 or 2 that I’ve mentioned here that can nearly match it on shave quality and longevity. Then again, on the milder feeling razors I practically use Feather Pro Supers exclusively to give me the results that I get from the more efficient/aggressive razors. I think I’ll give a Proline another shave and see how that works out and if the results are the same then, it’s time to step it up with the Howitzer of AC Blades, the Feather Pro Super.

I’m actually going to do a quick 1 pass shave again and freshen up as I have the day off to take care of some personal things. More shaves and experimentation ahead Gents....

4E450FBF-09F6-4C16-9FD7-D609955D3C1C.jpeg

brit, MPF9, wristwatchb and 7 others like this.
  10. Str8on2

A wonderful 2nd shave with the Paradigm & Pro Super combo. Just an excellent combination of efficiency and smoothness. Almost feels like a guarded blade in the razor, that’s how smooth it feels but, with a cutting action that’s equal to a Cobra Classic with a Schick Proline. Amazing...

1199DAAA-CF47-4860-8D4D-351E4D163299.jpeg

brit, wristwatchb and jluc like this.
  11. william beer

I use the Proline in mine and get the results you have described. Love this razor.

Str8on2 likes this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

$400. I'm going with HYPE. Let's be honest here, that razor will not shave you any better than a $25-75 SE razor, will it look great in SOTD pictures? Yeah.
    The only real question is do you like it? Do you think it's hype or legit?
    Enjoy your new razor. :shaver

koenfucius likes this.
  13. Str8on2

:happy088:

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

No question that this razor is designed like a high end sports car, it's really sharp looking. How does the top cap work? Does it slide?

Flyingbald likes this.
  15. Str8on2

The 5th shave with the Pro Super and I still feel like it has 2-3 more great shaves in it. It has been the best blade in the Paradigm Ti for me over the Schick Proline and Kai blades, hands down. Just has been excellent shaves...
    And the A&E soap/aftershave combo are just superb. Really good stuff with a great scent (Creed Aventus clone of the fruitier batches) that is in your face but, very pleasing and masculine.

1766005D-C76B-427D-9073-96A6B29256DB.jpeg
    456C586F-100B-4628-A109-4C2FE2091DBF.jpeg

brit, koenfucius, Flyingbald and 3 others like this.
  16. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

NO sir you are not! I've sold many used Super Speeds,other vintage razors and stuff on ETSY for under 50 bucks and did a better job of packing than that. Piss poor....

stuartganis likes this.
  17. Str8on2

Revisited the Paradigm SE today as it had been some time since my last shave with it. What I can say is that it’s a very smooth and mild shaver that gives a quality shave. Perhaps the most friendliest feeling shaver in my den next to the RR Mamba. Blade feel is extremely minimal compared to other AC SE styled razors but, it works for some. I used it with a Schick Proline which is not the optimal blade for me in this razor as that goes to the Feather Pro Super for adding a bit more feel and efficiency nonetheless, the razor and blade combo gave me a solid shave that was supremely comfortable. It’s almost impossible to give yourself a nic or even weepers with this tool. It is not my best shaver nor my favorite. There are a few others that deliver a better and longer lasting shave in my den with perhaps a smidge less in smoothness/mildness with increased efficiency. A trade off that is more than acceptable for my shaving needs. But, the Paradigm has grown on me with it’s retro/modern and unique look and the magnetic slide lock is an ingenious design implementation that serves this razor extremely well. It’s a big razor that actually feels light and semi nimble in the hands, no doubt the Titanium Alloy used in it’s making is a big contributor to that feeling of having something smaller that what it really is. I was in the thought process of listing it on the b/s/t for the past couple of months. And probably still might do that.

Right now though, I’m going to enjoy it for what it is. An exclusive, niche style razor that although, for me it does not give that deep, close shave, it certainly provides and delivers one of the most gentle and comfortable shaves of any razor format I’ve used. Maybe it will stay. Maybe.....

257BEFF5-4D9B-4903-BF00-E309EA08D346.jpeg

18. Str8on2

Just a quick thread revival. Pulled out the Paradigm Ti SE for this mornings shave. A very smooth and comfortable shave was had. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Schick, Kai and Feather Pro's work nicely in the Ti SE providing comfortable daily shaves without much issue. But, the Feather Pro Super was meant for this razor. No harsh or rough feeling from this blade installed in the Ti SE. It tames it nicely while the Pro Super gives it just that right amount of blade feel and cutting prowess that is magnificent. What I have really noticed is that this razor and blade combo working in the ATG pass. As effective as any other blade/razor combo I've used regardless of blade format. Just works flawlessly on the against the grain pass with supreme comfort and efficiency. Very well designed and engineered with precise machining tolerances that rank with some of the best out there. Though the handle is love/hate, I've learned to deal and accept it as it really isn't uncomfortable to hold as it exhibits excellent balance and tactile feel. Blade insertion/removal is brutally easy and care of the razor is even easier.

A superb performer all around. Nitpicking? Perhaps was the entry price at nearly $400 but, that is always subjective to many. The majority will say "no razor is worth that kind of $$$" while a select few would chime in by saying "worth every penny spent". I king of agree with the first group as I thought $200 was already outrageous for a shave tool. Curiosity in the end got the best of me though. Yep, as the minority who've tried this razor have said "totally worth it", I have to agree. With todays prices of uber niche razors and how it seems that prices are slowly escalating, sometime in the near future the Paradigm Ti SE might be considered a bargain....

Time will tell. In the meantime, it's a true pleasure to use....

F4A910EF-838A-4058-A302-5A2CC4E13171.jpeg

brit and Enrico like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

That's a purdy razor! :happy088:

Str8on2 and brit like this.
  20. william beer

My experience is similar to yours. Especially so when I have a couple of days worth of growth. Worth it? Good question. And there will alway be debate on that. For me, this razor keeps on endearing itself. Worth every penny to me whenever I pick it up, admire the engineering, and shave with it.

Bill

Str8on2 likes this.