Horse Hair.

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by taffboy, Nov 26, 2018.

1. taffboy

taffboy New Member

Been told some Turkish shaveing Brushes are Horse Hair any body on here used them and are they any good.

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Fairly certain some are horse hair. Do you have a link to any particular brush? As long as it isn't a Live Auction, we'd like to see which one you are considering.
    That I haven't done. Boar, badger & synthetic brushes all have their fans & I like each for it's characteristics. Common wisdom is that Horse tend to floppiness, but that depends on mane to tail hair ratio and loft.

Frijolero likes this.
  3. taffboy

taffboy New Member

Thanks lot .You guys have more experience with this stuff than me been proper shaveing for about 4years only got a good collection of razors but need a good Brush.

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Give it a few minutes, or a couple of days. Folks will show up to offer opinions, advice, & even actual information.

There are many makers that come to mind. They wouldn't still be selling their products if they sucked.

I've considered picking up one of these. At $2.28 & free shipping if it didn't make lather, I'd use it to scrub my fingernails. The extreme short loft intrigues me.
    horse hair brush.jpg

brit and Frijolero like this.
  5. taffboy

taffboy New Member

Thanks no I have no link but seen them in a Turkish barber which I vist and have told my wife she can get me one as a Xmas present

6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

This Epsilon brush is horse hair and is fantastic!
    [​IMG]

Paul Turner, CarlfromMO, brit and 2 others like this.
  7. taffboy

taffboy New Member

Thank you.

RyX likes this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Good that you know a Turkish barber! Ask if he uses the brushes he sells?

Tapatalk via LG

taffboy and Frijolero like this.
  9. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I have 4 Turkish brushes at the moment. As far as I can tell, they are all boar. The one on the right in the photo I have not used yet because the knot seemed identical to the other Lider. But as for the other three, I love them all and use them often. They did need a bit more breaking compared to Omega. And the Temizel had enough stank on it for all four brushes when it was new. :p But once broken in, my Omegas have nothing on them.

IMG_20181126_172008.jpg

The one Turkish brush that I know of that was supposed to be horse was the no. 6 from bestshave.net. I had one once but I gave it away thinking that I would get another. Oops. Most people thought that it was actually boar. But I seem to remember a post where someone said they knew by the smell that it was horse. Worked around them alot or something. So maybe it was horse. But bestshave.net is gone now.

taffboy, brit and RyX like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I don't know about Turkish but Vie Long which is Spanish makes horse hair brushes.
    I own one. I find they sit somewhere between a boar and badger as far as softness goes and how much water to cream you need to mix to get the same consistency of lather.
    One way to test that is to use a tube cream and the same amount of cream and water in 2 separate bowls, lather and apply on each side of the face. The lather will be different on each side if they are not both boar or horse hair.

Frijolero, taffboy, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

nice looking brushes..

Frijolero and taffboy like this.
  12. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Does anyone happen to know what part of the horse is used to make a horse hair brush?

RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  13. Frijolero

Mane and tail, I think. It's collected during grooming. Not sure where else a horse would be groomed.

RyX and markjnewcomb like this.
  14. Linuxguile

Correct, Mane and Tail. Epsilon and Vie Long list the ratio of main/tail hair in any given model number.

markjnewcomb and RyX like this.
  15. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I have a Cremo branded horse brush, that is made by Vie-Long. I love it! As previously stated it is in between badger and boar.
    One day I will have a genuine Vie-Long brush, but until then if you can find the cremo branded one, it would at least give you a good idea if the general charasteriscs of the type.

16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

This thread reminds me I should use my horse hair brush more often. I really like the one I have but it sheds too much.

ordinaryshaver likes this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Don't know if they still do, but Target was stocking the Cremo branded Vie Long horse hair brushes.

18. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I really don't like floppy brushes so hearing that horse hair tends to be floppy has me thinking I'll pass on the horse hair category.

19. Linuxguile

My Epsilon is not floppy at all, In fact it has as much backbone as a boar brush.

RyX likes this.
  20. Frijolero

To much backbone for my liking. Zero splay. I have a couple of Epsilon brushes that I never use because of that.

I have two Vie Long horsehair brushes that I love. Both are 24x55 I think. They hit the right balance of backbone and splay for me. And one mixed boar/horse that has a surprising amount of backbone despite what seems like a pretty tall loft. I don't remember the numbers offhand.

And none of these has ever given me trouble with tangling that others have reported.