November 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Oct 31, 2018.

?

So what is your "NO" plan for this NOVember?

1. No Variation. Gonna RULE like a BOSS!!

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. No Repeat. Gonna run through gear like it's my last month to ever shave!

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  3. No Plan. Gonna wing it big time. Just do what seems right!

22 vote(s)
    57.9%
  4. No shaves for me. Gonna be heretical and follow the rest of the world.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No clue. Seriously. I don't know, and won't know until it happens.

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  6. I'm just excited to have Donuts!!!!! Yummmmmmmmmmm!!!!

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  7. I'm just going to say NO to anything you ask. NO! NO, I say!

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

You're welcome Perry. Forgot to mention I love that B1. Timeless looking razor.

Norcalnewb, clint64, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    NOvember Focus
    [​IMG]
    RazoRock XXX~~Mondial 26mm~~1964 J4 Gillette Tech~~Feather

Another month has passed. There have been some really fantastic shaves posted; some interesting banter, both humorous and informative.
    There really is no other shave forum, that is so welcoming and chock full of members anxious to mentor new shavers and

all without the slightest rancor or disdain. You all deserve a well-earned pat on the back. :eatdrink047:
    This month, I finished a tub of Mystic Water Sandalwood Rose; a bottle of DRH Pink AS
    and a bottle of Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel.
    I am current doing my level-best to get through my RazoRock XXX Soap/AS/ASM.
    As you can clearly see, there are quite a few shaves remaining in this tub.
    I will, however, commit to finishing it before I move on to something else.
    I did get a "you smell good" from Mrs. Primo this morning, making it all worthwhile.

Once again, I chose to bowl-lather, using my Aesop SS bowl and the results speak for themself.
    IMG_8682.jpeg
    There was so much lather, that
    I pondered inviting my neighbor over for a shave, but that bordered on "creepy".
    Instead, I laid it on thick.
    Last shave with the Feather blade, once again in the J4 Tech.

Even though the Feather was still smooth, it was obvious that it was dulling.
    Too much buffing needed to get the whiskers mowed.
    Binned.
    The RR XXX AS is really nice and this one I will miss when it's used up.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Nice recap of your month, Joseph. Always a plus when the Mrs. has positive comments.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Norcalnewb, clint64, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Nice looking shave, despite the bloodletting, Neal!
    We'll forgive you, Keith! BoS!!
    Excellent shot, Perry! I was wondering if you would resist the temptation to use one of your new Stirling sets.
    Beautiful shot Clint and another awesome month!
    Fantastic photo, Jim!
    Excellent shave, Joseph! That layer of soap is getting oh so thin!

5. Primotenore

Article Team
    :sexe:
    Like my hair, Andrew. :angry017:

Keithmax, Screwtape, Paul76 and 5 others like this.
  6. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

November 30th
    Razor: Blackland Dart
    Blade: Feather NHS (3)
    Brush: PAA Switchback/TGN boar
    Pre-shave: Stirling Mentholated
    Soap: Captain's Choice North sample
    Lucky Tiger face tonic
    AS: Fine Santal Absolut

Great three pass shave today. I just missed the baby along my right jaw. The alum had nothing to say.

My plan for the month was Blackland razors, boar brush break in and knock out a soap sample or two. I didn't do too bad. Twenty seven of my thirty shaves this month were with a Blackland razor, the brush is pretty well broke in and I did finish of a couple of samples. I had a terrific month of shaves!

Fine Santal Absolut added to the den through the subtle and not so subtle enabling of some of the members. Great scent! I'm glad I didn't have the strength to say no to this one.[​IMG]

7. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

:happy088:

8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thanks again, it's a really neat piece of history.

Thank you, Andrew! The draw to use the new Stirling acquisitions is strong. Resistance is futile.

9. PLAla

Beautiful shot, Jim!

10. PLAla

Beautiful lather, Joseph. Great pictures as usual. That is not what my Fat lather looked like this morning.

Paul76, Screwtape, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  11. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Perry!

Norcalnewb, PLAla and Linuxguile like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

I got into Wet Shaving at a good time in my life. Combining plenty of disposable income, a bit of traveling to jobsites, and being quite free and single. Now that I'm much more retired from working, need to be available for dropping off or picking up the twin grand daughters from school, and in charge of the three year old grand son 6 days each week - sneaking off to poke around in dusty antique stores doesn't happen as often. It still happens, but wrangling that defiant, argumentative little boy requires me to budget some of my shaving funds to cheese burger bribes.

13. Linuxguile

SOTD NOvember 30th
    [​IMG]

Stirling Mentholate Pre-Shave Soap
    Walbusch Humpback Slant
    Pol Silver Super Iridium
    30DCLE (26mm, Frigate Class)
    Jeeves Of Hudson Street "Blood on Steel: soap and AS

Since I somehow enabled others to purchase the Walbusch Humpback slant I decided that I better give mine a try. Made a nice scuttle full of Jeeves BoS, which holds up extremely well in a hot scuttle. Put a nice layer of warm lather on my face and went to work. Finding the shaving angle if this razor is pretty easy as Jim @Norcalnewb said, put the humpback on your face and shave. This is really the only functional angle for this razor because if you come off the hump at all it simply doesn't cut. Very mild feeling shave yet I was blown away by the single pass efficiency. After the fist WTG pass I was DFS, I did two more passes for good measure and easily had the baby in hand, including my trouble areas (chin and jawline). I finished with the matching BoS AS which has a slight menthol cooling effect and superb post shave skin feel. Jeeves might perhaps be the best face feeling AS splash that I own. Have a great weekend my friends!

TGIF!!!
    20181121_062422.jpg

14. Linuxguile

Fantastic shot, Jim! What is your favorite scent from Fine?

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Lovely shot of the boys, Andrew!!

16. Linuxguile

Thank you, Paul!

Norcalnewb, clint64, jluc and 2 others like this.
  17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I've never stropped an AC blade before but might give it a try. My most likely solution in the future will be to load Feather Pro instead of Kai Captain. I'll make a small confession - I've always tried to prefer Kai over Feather just because I tend to try and not run with the popular opinions. When I started shaving everyone sang the praises of Feather and how it was the one, the only, blade from the gods. So, naturally, I resisted. So when it came to trying Japanese blades I bought Kai DE blades. Kai AC blades. And yes, did use Feather as well. And, as time has gone on I've had to admit - I think Feather has them beat. Oh well, I can play with the cool kids too I suppose. The natural rebel inside sometimes has to sit down and shut up.

18. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thanks Perry. Fat Lather has always been a bit "airier" for me. That's why I tend to rub it into my skin with my fingertips, whether I have face- or bowl-lathered.

19. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I didn't tell him that I had sold cars a few years ago. Well, not until the deal was done at least. I did tell the finance guy up front just so he might modify his behavior a bit. I know the real pressure comes from those guys in the modern era of car sales. They're looking for the money on the back end. They were both good guys, though, and made it easy and fun. Now if only the people at the Tag office could be given new personalities the whole process would be much improved. They're next on my list of people to visit.

FaceScraper, Keithmax, Paul76 and 8 others like this.
  20. Primotenore

Article Team
    Finally! ;)
    Nice report, Andrew.

Norcalnewb, clint64, jluc and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.