November 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Oct 31, 2018.

?

So what is your "NO" plan for this NOVember?

1. No Variation. Gonna RULE like a BOSS!!

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. No Repeat. Gonna run through gear like it's my last month to ever shave!

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  3. No Plan. Gonna wing it big time. Just do what seems right!

22 vote(s)
    57.9%
  4. No shaves for me. Gonna be heretical and follow the rest of the world.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No clue. Seriously. I don't know, and won't know until it happens.

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  6. I'm just excited to have Donuts!!!!! Yummmmmmmmmmm!!!!

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  7. I'm just going to say NO to anything you ask. NO! NO, I say!

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

She says thank you very much. It's been awhile getting her started in this phase. Trying to find a supervising therapist and all that is a full time, yet unpaid, job. She thought she'd be starting in October then it fell through but January looks solid. Once she's got the paper on the wall with her degree and her license I can think of retiring. But don't tell her I said that!

FaceScraper, Keithmax, Paul76 and 7 others like this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

TGIF! Wonderful photos and shave, Andrew!

3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thank you, Joseph!
    Thanks Perry!

4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

They should include a Toggle or something equivalent with the price they charge these days. At least a nice Fatboy.

FaceScraper, Keithmax, Paul76 and 7 others like this.
  5. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

TGIF!!!
    Wonderful picture of the boys!
    Nice shave too!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Andrew! As of this morning I'm going to say the Absolut followed by Platinum.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Patrick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you.

Primotenore, jluc, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Perry!

jluc, Linuxguile, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Excellent post and recap Joseph. I always look forward to reading your posts each day.

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Andrew.

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Excellent photo and recap Jim. I have enjoyed your posts and photos all month.

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Excellent post. The boys look absolutely adorable. Bet they are a handful at times. TGIF.

Paul76, jluc, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  14. Norcalnewb

I'm also about 5'10", and I weigh in just over 180. Everytime I do a BMI, I am above my "healthy" weight. Luckily, my actual doctor never worries about BMI, just the nurses from work. They usually tell me they don't trust it either, but I wonder how long before the BMI gets factored into insurance rates.

FaceScraper, Keithmax, Paul76 and 8 others like this.
  15. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Jim!

16. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

November 30, 2018- NOthing But Techs

Razor: Pre-War US Fat Handle Tech
    Blade: 7 o'Clock Permasharp Stainless (5)
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 22
    Soap: Stirling Sheep

Today is the last day of the month and this is the last Tech in my den. It is only fitting, therefore, that here at the end, we go back to the beginning. The Nickel-plated pre-War Tech with its Fat Handle is an iconic DE razor. This particular one, while a little rough in spots, is one of the better looking of my pre-War Techs.
    IMG_0339.JPG
    As for its performance, today's shave lived up to all expectations for smoothness and efficiency. A fitting end to the month.

Since it is the end of the month, it seems appropriate that I take a moment to look back at the past 30 days. This is probably the most "on focus" that I have been in quite some time with no razor diversions, a single blade, only two brushes, and three soaps. I would have been more focused had I not switched to a Boar brush and Williams for Remembrance Week. I think that this minimalism worked well for me this month as I dealt with the family of razors that call themselves "Tech".

The seed of this focus came from the discussions of an EDRIO focus and was nurtured by the discussions of a no-variation focus. The "Aha!" moment came when I realized that I had acquired 19 Techs and that, given my shaving habits, that would probably be enough for the month with no repeats or need to use a non-Tech razor. I initially wasn't sure what to do about Veterans/Remembrance Day but you all assured me that using a razor from a Canadian Khaki Set was both appropriate and fitting; that ultimately turned into a full week centered around the varied versions of the Tech produced during WWII and supplied to our fighting men (and women?). All told, I used 20 Techs spanning a period of roughly 30 years, three major generations (plus variations due to material shortages), and several handle designs and redesigns.

Oddly, in many ways, I still only touched the surface of the Tech family. There were, for instance, no French or Argentinean razors. Neither were there any British Bakelite or post-War Canadian razors. Most regretfully, I do not yet own any of the truly unique variations such as an OC Tech or one of the English ones with the Perspex/Lucite baseplate; they show up from time to time on eBay but for more than I really can justify on a single razor. Someday, perhaps...

Still, the month did bring a surprise or two, even for me. Such was the wartime Canadian Tech with the Steel baseplate and British Bakelite handle. I hope that I was able to bring you all some other interesting ones as well.

I imagine that some of you are wondering if I have a favorite or even a least favorite one. The British Flat Bottom will probably be my favorite for a long time to come, though I prefer it with a Fat Handle rather than the two-piece one normally. My least favorite, oddly enough, is also British- the post-War Aluminium Tech; I actually made some peace with it this month, but not enough to justify regular use. I can honestly say, though, that I don't dislike any of them.

Few of my Techs are particularly attractive specimens. The newest one (not counting the Sterling Tech parts donor) is 49-years old. Most were, as the saying goes, "rode hard and put away wet". These were the common man's razor- a quality product made to sell at a low price in mass quantities. (Remember that the basic design of the Tech, including the iconic diamond indent, was created to facilitate the use of a stamped rather than machined manufacturing process.) I bought most of mine cheaply because no one else wanted them enough to bid or because they were dumped in with other razors and parts. If you've looked closely at my photos this month, you've seen lots of bare Brass and even some spray paint... but also some genuinely great razors, flaws and all.

IMG_0340.JPG

17. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Clint! Enjoy your Friday!

Paul Turner, clint64, jluc and 2 others like this.
  18. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Patrick! On a value basis, it is definitely at the top of the list.

19. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Great photo and shave, John! Your focus this month was really interesting.

20. Norcalnewb

Terrific picture, Joseph, and a well written write up!

Primotenore, clint64, jluc and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.