December 2018 30 Day Rule/Focux Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Nov 30, 2018.

?

What will be the most decadent part of your December shaves?

1. My razor(s). Seriously - I'm bringing the finest of the fine.

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. My soaps/cremes. Seriously - Gonna be so luxurious I may be unable to talk.

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  3. My aftershaves/balms. Seriously - Almost too good to even use without being arrested.

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  4. My cookies. Seriously - I'm drooling just thinking about those cookies.

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. My donuts. Seriously - You think I drool over cookies? Check this out!

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. My ice cream. Seriously - when you have ice cream who needs cookies and donuts?

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  7. Just looking at my beautiful self in the mirror. Seriously - who could ask for anything more?

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The Cartel is proud to welcome you to the December 2018 edition of the 30 Day Rule and Focus Discussion.

If you're new to traditional shaving, or to TSD, WELCOME!!! If you’ve been here awhile you know the drill so jump in and help the new guys get their shave on!

So, what is this thread about? Three things, basically. First and foremost this is a TECHNIQUE focused group. All the fancy and shiny shave toys in the world won’t give you a great shave if you don’t know how to use them. That applies to any type of razor from DE safety razor to injector to traditional straights, kamisori, pain sticks, popsicle stick razors, sharp can lids, binder clip razors and all the rest. Second, it’s a COMMUNITY focused group. Everyone here is supportive of the new people learning, the old timers learning new stuff or just working with a new razor or trying to adjust to fix an issue. We support each other and learn together. Third, it’s about SHENANIGANS. Yep, we sometimes drift off topic around here just because we can and it’s fun. As @Bama_Samurai stated in the inaugural edition back in January 2015, this is an un-hijackable thread. Go ahead. Try and hijack it. I dare you. Can’t be done. Just like this post. I can wander all I want on this thought and it still goes right back where it belongs in the next paragraph. In fact I'll prove it. Still proving it. Beautiful weather tonight if you like it a little chilly. The Blues suck this year. See? Call it magic if you want.

As one of the charter members of this thread, from January 2015, I can attest to the ability of the 30 Day Rule to build basic technique. I can also attest to the ability of the 30 Day Focus to adjust one or more areas of the shave, or to open doors to new methods and tools. This month we celebrate DECADENT DECEMBER! What, you ask, is that? As the final month of the year, and what a year it’s been in many ways, I think we should just plain ENJOY our shaves this month. Even if you’re on a strict Rule you can substitute some after shaves and other products around to really get that luxury thing going. If you’re on a Focus or just shaving along to eat cookies or donuts, or even ice cream, and follow shenanigans, this is your chance to pull out your best most luxurious stuff and spend a month with it. We want to see pictures and hear of you using that antique Double Duck, or the Toggle or the latest stainless steel wonder-razor, and that High Mountain Badger brush with the MDC…..get the picture? If your absolute favorite brush is the Omega Pro48 and your best ever lather is Proraso….that’s your DECADENCE! Use it! Share it! Let’s remind ourselves that one of the reasons we do this is to ENJOY IT!!!!! By the time New Year’s Eve rolls around we’ll be ready to tackle the next year no matter what it brings! Got it? And, of course, if you want to do something else while following along…..it’s perfectly fine!

Well, that’s my introduction for the month. So, let’s get down to the usual business. Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a cookie or donut (or yes, even ice cream) and meet the crew. The cookie of the month is, of course, Holiday Sugar Cookies! If this is old hat, welcome back, and let's rock another month out!

Rules are the same people.

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.

2. Old Members always welcome. Ok, ok, middle agers too.

3. Respect everyone

4. Follow the rules of the forum

5. All razor types and styles welcome

6. Criticize Russian blades, especially Voskhod, at your own peril. The Cartel is listening. And we have spies everywhere. They’re usually passed out drunk, but we get lucky occasionally.

7. Don't think we don't hear when you badmouth Rapira either. We're vodka loving wannabe Russians, not blithering idiots. Well, ok so sometimes.....and Ivan.....well you get the idea.

8. You might consider taking it easy on Feathers as well. The Yakuza boys are pretty protective as well, though their leader has been converted by the Russians it seems. Score one for the Motherland!

Let's have some great shaves!! Welcome to DECADENT DECEMBER! Group hug people!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

2. brit

brit in a box

20181129_215458.jpg decadent december..time for gillettes finest for me this december, really looking forward to this...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I will be both Decadent and continue to work on eliminating soaps from my overstocked den.

I will bring out the 'big guns' of my straights for regular use.

4. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I'm in!
    I really enjoyed following along with the No Repeat November theme. No rules and no focus will be my Decadent December. I don't have the hardware for a true no repeat, but I'm going to change things up daily, rotating through all my gear.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the decadence of others.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Nice collection of Aristocrats, Gary!

FaceScraper, Drygulch, 9nein9 and 6 others like this.
  6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'm in again! I plan to use mainly Stirling software for Decadent December and plan to use Ozark Mountain a good bit as it reminds me of a holiday scent. I'll rotate through razors and brushes like usual. Looking forward to it!

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm in for this final month-this "decadent" month. I have many "challenges" ahead for the upcoming 31 days. I had originally hoped to be able to get to the end of one or more soaps, to make room for those I plan to buy in 2019, but I'd have to say that finishing a puck of soap is like finishing a tube of toothpaste-you just never know the right time to "flip" it. Well, I suppose there is ONE difference-you can't see the toothpaste, thus there's more "guessing" involved. Another challenge to find decent aftershave matches for some of my soaps(including those I look forward to buying next year). . It may involve ordering some "unscented" aftershaves from various companies. A final challenge will be to decide who walks off with the 2019 Stoylin Tony Awards.
    But as with each month, I look forward to the great communication we have as TSD members. Let's continue to learn and have fun in doing so :).

8. Paul Turner

You call it "eliminating" I call it "flipping". :)

9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I will be in for using some of my most neglected,yet fantastastic, razors and some of my favorite decadent software combos (as well as some new ones). AKA a completely unfocused focus.

10. Paul Turner

I'm not sure I'd buy a soap or A.S. that pertains directly to a holiday, because the when the holiday is over, you still have a ton of soap left. Samples would suit me better if they are relative to the holidays.

Trigger, Drygulch, Paul76 and 8 others like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Don't worry, @PLAla, your gift to me is well covered by both Bay Rum aftershaves :).

Drygulch, brit, 9nein9 and 3 others like this.
  12. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I don't "flip" a tube of toothpaste until I've squeezed out every last drop, same with shave soap, its not done until there isn't a speck left on the bottom of the tub!

13. brit

brit in a box

thank you. to me they shave as good as they look..

BlaydRunner, Drygulch, Paul76 and 9 others like this.
  14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I’m in for Decadent December. I plan to rotate through soaps and brushes that I enjoy using. I’ll start the month with the Supply SE and move on from there once I’m satisfied I have it dialed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Paul Turner

That should be a New Year's Resolution for me, in both cases.

FaceScraper, Drygulch, Paul76 and 7 others like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

i do have some some what seasonal scents,wood/ leather/tobacco for fall winter, citrus/ aquatic for spring and summer but not holiday scents..i don t do foodie scents per say..cella being the exception. i was going to use my new polsilvers but for decadent december i will stick with nacets,( maybe the spoilers if they show up) for the month. soaps/creams will be unplanned as usual, plus my new ariana and evans, and other black friday product purchases..i think i will try to dial in my badger brushes as these seem to have the most variables for me compared to synthetics.fun times ahead ,happy december, gary

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  17. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Awesome !

BlaydRunner, Drygulch, 9nein9 and 6 others like this.
  18. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

"1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days" ---- Can I join the party?

Omega boar brush, Palmolive Sensitive Shaving Cream, Voskhod blades & Rockwell 6S

19. brit

brit in a box

absolutely, hello and welcome @Hembree ..

Drygulch, Paul76, Keithmax and 10 others like this.
  20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Welcome aboard, Hembree! Glad to have you and anxious to hear your shave reports!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.